VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 36, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attaching a small patch for some general cleanup, small performance benefit maybe. Reading and seeking is tested somewhat, though writing requires more testing still.

Attachments

• Filename
    drive_fat.diff
    File size
    8.29 KiB
    Downloads
    117 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 36, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had stopped using DOSBox for a while but have recently begun using it again. Needless to say, I ran right into this problem again and I vaguely remembered opening a topic about it. Imagine how happy I was when I found it and saw that this has actually been patched in 😁

So, a big thank you to rcblanke, this is a major usability improvement for everyone using images of their actual disks!

Reply 26 of 36, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There might be a bug with this patch or an existing bug unearthed by it. I have come across a .bat installer like the one below. Now, no matter what cpu or cycles etc I use, switching floppies at the pauses does not properly work. When it says "Please insert the Star Trek 5 Disk #2" and then pauses, I carefully press CTRL+F4 to switch the floppy, which works (I can see that in the console). It's STILL paused after that, so the .bat did not accidentally register it as a button press to end the pause. Now, if hit a button to end the pause though, it now not only runs past this pause, but also past the one for Disk 3. Basically, it seems to register one keystroke as two after using the CTRL+F4 switch. The only way to fix the behavior is to add another pause for each Disk. It still does 2 at a time, but this gives me the chance to actually switch disks in time.

This might be a general problem with CTRL+ commands though, I can hardly imagine anyone used them during batches before as none of them are useful while running batches.

Oh, I'm running a vanilla DOSBox SVN build by EmuCR from June 27th on 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium.

:Disk2
cls
echo Please insert the Star Trek 5 Disk #2.
echo
pause
cd\
copy %1\TREK5\KFIGHT\*.* %2\TREK5\KFIGHT
copy %1\TREK5\KFIGHT\VGAGIF\*.* %2\TREK5\KFIGHT\VGAGIF
copy %1\TREK5\KFIGHT\EGAGIF\*.* %2\TREK5\KFIGHT\EGAGIF
copy %1\TREK5\KFIGHT\*.* %2\TREK5\KFIGHT

:Disk3
cls
echo Please insert the Star Trek 5 Disk #3.
echo
pause
cd\
copy %1\TREK5\BOPWIRE\*.* %2\TREK5\BOPWIRE
copy %1\TREK5\BOPWIRE\EGAGIF %2\TREK5\BOPWIRE\EGAGIF
copy %1\TREK5\BOPWIRE\VGAGIF %2\TREK5\BOPWIRE\VGAGIF
cd %2\TREK5
cls
echo Please insert the Star Trek 5 Disk #1.
pause

Reply 27 of 36, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The bug I described above proves to be really annoying. Basically, any batch that uses pause does not work. A button press always skips the pause AND the next pause. It makes using batch scripts as provided by the original developers impossible in a lot of cases. It's not (as I previously thought) related to the CTRL+F4 command. Even if I don't use that command at all, it always skips two pauses with one button press.

Reply 28 of 36, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I can NOT confirm this with a clean SVN build

pause
echo hi
pause
echo bye

works as expected.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 29 of 36, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Here's a small patch for a possible cause of "one key counting as two". 😉

void DOS_Shell::CMD_PAUSE(char * args){
HELP("PAUSE");
WriteOut(MSG_Get("SHELL_CMD_PAUSE"));
Bit8u c;Bit16u n=1;
DOS_ReadFile (STDIN,&c,&n);
+ if (c==0) DOS_ReadFile(STDIN,&c,&n); // read extended key
}

Reply 32 of 36, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I was thinking of complex keys like ctrl+alt+break, but the bios/keyb keyboard handler should filter those out.
The patch should fix the reported issue. Extended keys does explain, why I couldn't reproduce it 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 33 of 36, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I somehow didn't get a reply notification so I didn't see your replies until now. Thanks a lot for the fix, I'll give a recent SVN (hah, fix only made it in this month anyways!) a whirl then and see if it helps 😀

Edit: I can confirm the bug is gone 😀 Thanks so much, this really helps with a lot of installers!

Reply 34 of 36, by retro1975bc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved....!!! 🤣

No need for external app to do this !!!!!
Here is a Dosbox-r3961 SVN Build i've found a round the net capable of mounting multiple floppy images,
so you can install any OS, Game, App on a already mounted Hard Disk image.
I've included a ready example so you can start with!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Link 1 : Attachment with Dosbox-r3961 SVN Build (No HDD included!)

Link 2 : (https://firedrop.com/....... - Removed, Sorry!) http://www.mediafire.com/file/eg91eg7ws154w9s … osbox-r3961.zip
(With 500mb-Formatted HDD image Included)

Link 3 : https://archive.org/download/DosboxR3961NOHDD … 3961_NO_HDD.zip

Link 4 : https://archive.org/download/DosboxR3961HDD/D … x-r3961_HDD.zip
(With 500mb-Formatted HDD image Included)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a small tutorial to enable Multi-Floppy setup with dosbox :

1. Prepare your floppies and try to rename all of it to standard 8.3 dos extention (1.img, msdos622.img...).

2. Create a pre-formatted HDD image or use the one provided and put it all with the floppies together inside
a folder (e.g. _HDD) and put (_HDD) folder inside dosbox folder (e.g. C:\Dosbox-r3961\_HDD).

3. Edit (dosbox.conf), goto to section [autoexec] then Mount and Imgmount the directory with the HDD image
and the Floppies like this :

IMGMOUNT A d:\1.img; d:\2.img; d:\3.img; d:\4.img; d:\5.img; d:\6.img; -t floppy
IMGMOUNT C d:\HardDisk.hdd -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,1015
BOOT d:\1.img; d:\2.img; d:\3.img; d:\4.img; d:\5.img; d:\6.img;

4. Create Batch File (e.g. harddisk_setup.bat) and put these commands :

@Echo off
mount D "_HDD"
D:
harddisk_setup.bat

That will mount drive D to the local directory inside dosbox (C:\Dosbox-r3961\_HDD) like "_HDD" then
goto (D:) drive and execute (harddisk_setup.bat) that contains Imgmount and Boot commands above.

5. Run dosbox then inside the screen will boot first floppy, and when it ask for the second floppy hit
Ctrl+F4 together to switch between floppies you've already mounted.

I hope i've explained almost everything and for more commands refer to the official Dosbox.com site for
detailed documentation. Thanx to All!!! 😎

Attachments

• Filename
    Dosbox-r3961_NO_HDD.zip
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Downloads
    120 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by retro1975bc on 2016-11-09, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What exactly did you include there? The mediafire zip is 80MB big and the firedrop one is password protected. I advise everyone not to download anything that someone found "round the net"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper