Patch for COPYing directories

Here you can discuss the development of patches.

Patch for COPYing directories

Postby ripsaw8080 » 2009-6-07 @ 12:52

DOSBox's internal COPY command does not support copying all files from a source directory unless \*.* is explicitly appended to the filespec. Real DOS assumes *.* when the source filespec is a directory, and game install batch files might use this (Bram Stoker's Dracula is one I know of that does). You can, of course, work around the limitation by editing batch files, manually copying files, using the 4DOS shell, etc; but I thought it would be nice to have the feature.

It's a simple idea, but was a bit tricky to splice into the code without breaking existing functionality. All the most obvious stuff works OK as far as I can tell, including the source concatenations which gave me some trouble. Note that DOSBox supports concatenation with the "+" sign, but not with wildcards (as DOS does), and I didn't try to implement it... it's a good chance no game needs that, though. One quirky thing I ran into was DOS_FindFirst() reporting DOS_ATTR_DIRECTORY when the filespec has *.* in it, so I had to check if it's already there to avoid adding it again.

I'm sure the code could be improved, but I took the approach of trying not to change too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ripsaw8080
DOSBox Author

Return to DOSBox Patches