ripa PC Speaker patch (was Want to use PC Speaker and not Sound Blaster in StarControl 1)

Here you can discuss the development of patches.

Re: Want to use PC Speaker and not Sound Blaster in StarControl 1

Postby KainXVIII » 2017-1-15 @ 10:02

Yesterplay80 wrote:James-F pointed me towards this thread and the patch and asked me if I could integrate it in my enhanced DOSBox builds. And so I did, so starting from Version r4003 PC speaker playback should sound better using my enhanced builds (see signature). :)

Tried Wizardry 7 (mt-32+pc speaker) with your dosbox build - every sound effect is now so earpiercing :dead:
KainXVIII

Postby James-F » 2017-1-15 @ 16:32

Add this line to dosbox autoexec.bat section:
Code: Select all
mixer spkr 25

The PC-Speaker is really high in comparison to PCM audio, so that fixes it.
James-F
Oldbie

Postby Yesterplay80 » 2018-2-28 @ 15:39

VileRancour wrote:Hope this helps. It looks like this patch generally improves accuracy in every test case I've tried, *except* this one. Are there any other regressions that anyone can see?

A bit late, but "Descent 2" has a problem with this patch when the PC speaker is disabled in the config. It won't start the intro sequence, even if the game isn't putting out sound over the speaker but over SB.
My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds (without debugger) for Windows: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Enhanced Community Edition)
Yesterplay80

Re: ripa PC Speaker patch (was Want to use PC Speaker and not Sound Blaster in StarControl 1)

Postby Yesterplay80 » 2018-3-12 @ 08:44

The game doesn't even use the speaker, it's just not starting when I disable the speaker in the conf-file, even if it puts the sound out over Soundblaster. It works with vanilla DOSBox, with the same conf, so it has to be a problem with this patch.
My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds (without debugger) for Windows: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Enhanced Community Edition)
Yesterplay80

Previous

Return to DOSBox Patches