VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 88, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

James-F pointed me towards this thread and the patch and asked me if I could integrate it in my enhanced DOSBox builds. And so I did, so starting from Version r4003 PC speaker playback should sound better using my enhanced builds (see signature). 😀

Tried Wizardry 7 (mt-32+pc speaker) with your dosbox build - every sound effect is now so earpiercing 😵

Reply 81 of 88, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Add this line to dosbox autoexec.bat section:

mixer spkr 25

The PC-Speaker is really high in comparison to PCM audio, so that fixes it.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 82 of 88, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

Hope this helps. It looks like this patch generally improves accuracy in every test case I've tried, *except* this one. Are there any other regressions that anyone can see?

A bit late, but "Descent 2" has a problem with this patch when the PC speaker is disabled in the config. It won't start the intro sequence, even if the game isn't putting out sound over the speaker but over SB.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 84 of 88, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game doesn't even use the speaker, it's just not starting when I disable the speaker in the conf-file, even if it puts the sound out over Soundblaster. It works with vanilla DOSBox, with the same conf, so it has to be a problem with this patch.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 86 of 88, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote on 2020-06-09, 05:02:

Dosbox PC speaker emulation is still broken in 2020.
Any reason this patch which is accurate to real hardware is not part of the official dosbox yet?

I'd assume it's the regression cases that have been mentioned.
Adding to that: I've also noticed that speaker music played with MONOTONE sounds somewhat off with this patch (will provide comparisons if needed).

It'd be great if this patch could be integrated - it also makes my own little game sound more accurate 😉 but apparently there are still issues in how the output is modeled...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 87 of 88, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2009-11-19, 16:03:

/s:tandy
if you set machine=tandy in dosbox configuration - this sounds very simmilar to pc speaker although way better (but you will have worse graphics)

Does it not run VGA with Tandy Sound ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 88 of 88, by LukasThyWalls

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for revamp this thread, but i was pointed out from the DOSBox ECE thread about what it seems others games with issues with this patch.

To no repeat everything again:

LukasThyWalls wrote on 2022-08-25, 23:53:
Hello! […]
Show full quote

Hello!

I was doing some testing with Tex Murphy: Mean Streets, and using different DOSBox versions i realized that this game sound is broken in DOSBox ECE.

I have the GOG version, that comes bundled with DOSBox 0.74, but i also play a bit with DOSBox 0.74.3 and DOSBox-X 2022.08.0, and it plays the sound correctly. However, with DOSBox ECE r4479 AppImage doesn't (all in my Linux laptop, btw).

With DOSBox ECE, at the same time as the sound/music, it plays a background beep, with an high pitch. When is no sound there is no beep, it only plays at the same time as the sound/music.

If you don't know, the particularity of the sound/music in this game is one of the few that uses RealSound, that is a way to play PCM Audio Playback on the PC Speaker, which is a bit impressive for what it is, although fast obsolete.

Maybe is only me, although everything else plays fine and i didn't touch the PC Speaker configuration in the conf.

Thanks!

I did a comparison video to show the issue compared to DOSBox 0.74-3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz_mBZOZRIE (Although i don't like how it was recorded by each DOSBox, live is a bit different and more noticeable).

I don't know if all games with RealSound when using it are affected. I only tested Tex Murphy: Mean Streets (you can hear the video), and just did Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum too which has adlib by default, but if you force RealSound it has very few sounds but all of them are very distorted too with DOSBox ECE, but no with others like 0.74 (Bundled with GOG), 0.74-3 or DOSBox-X, so at least both of them are.

Only to report it to be known.