VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ykhwong wrote:

I am using d3dx9_42.dll released in 2009 instead. What's the matter with the shaders? I modified several shader files about two months ago so that they should work properly with it.

using the DLL from your build produces errors:

D3D:Using triple buffering
D3D:Error in pixel shader shaders\CRT.D3D.fx:
Unable to create effect compiler from shaders\CRT.D3D.fx
D3D:Pixel shader output disabled

Not sure how to get more details.
Using d3dx9_30.dll (renamed), it works fine - no other changes; .conf file and shaders\ dir contents are the same.

I also tried several other shaders with a modified date of July 5 (Lanczos.fx, bilinear.fx, Sketch.fx), and they result in the same error using the _42 dll, but work fine with _30.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 21 of 34, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:
Not sure how to get more details. Using d3dx9_30.dll (renamed), it works fine - no other changes; .conf file and shaders\ dir co […]
Show full quote
D3D:Using triple buffering
D3D:Error in pixel shader shaders\CRT.D3D.fx:
Unable to create effect compiler from shaders\CRT.D3D.fx
D3D:Pixel shader output disabled

Not sure how to get more details.
Using d3dx9_30.dll (renamed), it works fine - no other changes; .conf file and shaders\ dir contents are the same.

I also tried several other shaders with a modified date of July 5 (Lanczos.fx, bilinear.fx, Sketch.fx), and they result in the same error using the _42 dll, but work fine with _30.

That is weird. What is your video card? Did you update your video driver to the latest version?

Reply 22 of 34, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia geforce GT 240, with the latest drivers. (280.26)

Also tested on an older card, GeForce 7300 SE, with the latest driver version too, and got the same behavior with the DLLs... but that card can't handle the CRT shader anyway 😜
both are running on XP Pro SP3 machines, btw.

Reply 27 of 34, by basic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed this patch, it will patch correctly with DOSBox SVN r4019.
And added paper-white color in CGA/Hercules mode, press F11 to cycle through green, amber, RGB-white, and paper-white.

Filename
cga_mono_r4019.diff
File size
10.01 KiB
Downloads
230 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks, VileRancour.

Paper-white palette looks like actual white monochrome monitor.

Attachments

• 2.png
    Filename
    2.png
    File size
    3.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.png
    Filename
    1.png
    File size
    3.18 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28 of 34, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, how did you derive the paper-white gradient?
The color values look like the 16 steps are tinted (in various directions) away from grey... and according to the 'Paper-White Phosphors' sidebar here, that may actually have some basis in how these monitors are designed. Didn't know that. 😀

Reply 29 of 34, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

just a quick note about the patch.
It's "wrong" to add to 2 different "SHELL_STARTUP_CGA" messages.
Just give them a different a different name and do the selection at the point where they are being printed. (so where the MSG_Get is used)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 30 of 34, by azrael4h

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The updated patch works for green, though F11 doesn't seem to cycle through anything; Dosbox is locked into green monochrome for me. Pressing f11 causing the message "hue at -x.xxxxxx" in increments of 5 for each keystroke, but does nothing in the actual DOSBox window.

*EDIT*
Figured out the special keys problem, but F11 still does not cycle through the various palettes, and alt+f11 likewise has no function at all.

Reply 31 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deleted post. Patches should be submitted here or to the DOSBox sourceforge site, not to sites not affiliated with the official version of DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 33 of 34, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
javitz82 wrote on 2021-04-19, 16:53:

To VileR, thank you very much! Now I´ve got the opportunity to play again Prince of Persia in amber monochrome again, like I´ve played as a kid. Thanks for the good memories.

As someone who grew up with green monitors and b/w TV portables, I fully agree! ^^

It reminds of my younger years back in the 90s, when I used to watch VHS cassettes with
a little top-loading VHS player (just a player, no VCR) on an old green monitor in my papa's personal/hobby room (mansard).
Because, the player had no VHF/UHF modulator that could be used to connect to an unused old portable b/w television set.

The same video monitor was also occassionally used to play some games for the Sharp MZ-700 computer..
Later, I also had one of these little camping TVs. You know, these with cassette/radio/TV.
It was also monochrome. I've watched many films and shows with it via telescope antenna. ^^
I know, I know, that's a bit off-topic now. I just wanted to give an impression of how monochrome video was still relevant even in the early-mid 90s.

Because, that was a time when DOS was still around and when old 70s/80s technology was used in tandem with the roots of our modern digital age.
Monochrome video monitors were still being used in compact devices, also. Communications devices like the French Minitel phones had monochrome CRTs.
Same goes for the German Multitel devices. They could access to Videotex (no "t") services originally based on Prestel.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool.. what I got going when I was playing with XT class hardware in the early 90s, was mono CGA on a 10" black and white "security monitor" which was PAL, but had enough adjustment in vertical hold to sync the NTSC mono. But before that, the 8 bit was relegated to the black and white portable TV and I didn't get to play in color that often. The bonus was though, that you could get everything very sharp on a mono and it was better for eyestrain than a TV quality color tube. (Proper 15khz monitors like 1071 and 1024s were better of course)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.