Topic actions

Reply 1940 of 1945, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-07-26, 11:54:

Wow, PC-98 emulation, that's very interesting ! 😁

It seems that there were a lot of updates to the PC-98 line over the years, how is it managed inside DOSBox-X emulation-wise ?

It's handled as a machine type, like anything else in the codebase, and the video mode as it's own enumeration.

It is enabled by adding to dosbox.conf machine=pc98

Though it has no effect now, there is code to support machine=pc9801 and machine=pc9821.

There are dosbox.conf options to make adjustments for some differences.

You will need FONT.ROM from a BIOS image of a system for fully correct rendering, though DOSBox-X has a fallback that was rendered from a Windows system by a contributer otherwise.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1941 of 1945, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@TheGreatCodeholio: I noticed that litchie from iDOS/DOSPad app for iOS might be open to having a look on DOSBox-X or SVN latest version for updating his iDOS emulator app. Not sure if you'd be interested in working with him to bring the best possible DOS/Win9x emulation to iOS/iPadOS, since now the latest Apple devices have more than enough processing power for the job. For gaming on the go (and even 3DFx/Glide games) it would be amazing.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1942 of 1945, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:33:

@TheGreatCodeholio: I noticed that litchie from iDOS/DOSPad app for iOS might be open to having a look on DOSBox-X or SVN latest version for updating his iDOS emulator app. Not sure if you'd be interested in working with him to bring the best possible DOS/Win9x emulation to iOS/iPadOS, since now the latest Apple devices have more than enough processing power for the job. For gaming on the go (and even 3DFx/Glide games) it would be amazing.

Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged quite a lot from SVN so that might require quite a bit of work. It might be less work on his behalf to incorporate incremental changes from SVN, DOSBox-X, or the dosbox-staging repositories, and carefully.

Anything that is wanted from DOSBox-X, let me know, I may be able to help integrate it safely without breaking code, and explain why DOSBox-X does what it does.

Case in point, in a recent commit it turns out (pointed out by Foone on Twitter) the MS-DOS port of Mr. Blobby accidentally clears a bit that was used on old EGA/VGA boards to indicate whether the board had more than 64KB of VRAM or not (affects memory wrapping). Since DOSBox-X actually bothers to emulate the behavior of that bit, the game did not display correctly. Yet according to real hardware 256-color mode seems unaffected by it, so to fix the issue DOSBox-X added an option to ignore the bit if emulating VGA.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1943 of 1945, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:46:
Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged qui […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:33:

Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged quite a lot from SVN so that might require quite a bit of work. It might be less work on his behalf to incorporate incremental changes from SVN, DOSBox-X, or the dosbox-staging repositories, and carefully.

Anything that is wanted from DOSBox-X, let me know, I may be able to help integrate it safely without breaking code, and explain why DOSBox-X does what it does.

Case in point, in a recent commit it turns out (pointed out by Foone on Twitter) the MS-DOS port of Mr. Blobby accidentally clears a bit that was used on old EGA/VGA boards to indicate whether the board had more than 64KB of VRAM or not (affects memory wrapping). Since DOSBox-X actually bothers to emulate the behavior of that bit, the game did not display correctly. Yet according to real hardware 256-color mode seems unaffected by it, so to fix the issue DOSBox-X added an option to ignore the bit if emulating VGA.

That’s good to know. I’ll link your post to him so I can try to let him know. Meanwhile, his project is here on this github repo. https://github.com/litchie/dospad

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1944 of 1945, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just came in to tell that I compiled the latest DOSBOX-X on my macOS with SDL2 and I had an yellow tint screen when running Windows 3.11. I'm compiling with SDL1 now as we speak to see if the same problem happens there too. With SDL2 version I am also unable to go full screen; instead it just reduces the height of my screen in an animated fashion and then moves the DOSBOX-X window below the old position on my desktop.

EDIT: turns out that compiling with build-macos instead of build-macos-sdl2 fixed both issues.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1945 of 1945, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-30, 07:12:

Just came in to tell that I compiled the latest DOSBOX-X on my macOS with SDL2 and I had an yellow tint screen when running Windows 3.11. I'm compiling with SDL1 now as we speak to see if the same problem happens there too. With SDL2 version I am also unable to go full screen; instead it just reduces the height of my screen in an animated fashion and then moves the DOSBOX-X window below the old position on my desktop.

EDIT: turns out that compiling with build-macos instead of build-macos-sdl2 fixed both issues.

While SDL2 isn't too special on Mac OS X, SDL1 has to deal with the Cocoa display interface that uses a BGRA pixel channel order, meaning that for a 32-bit pixel, the B channel is in the upper 8 bits and A (alpha) is in the lower 8 bits.