Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1500 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, I might dust off the Mac Mini and look at supporting Metal in some rudimentary fashion.

Likewise if Centos 7 supports Vulkan.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1501 of 2397, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have the faintest idea why, but I'm having trouble connecting to the internet through the Guest OS using the emulated NE2000 (NPCap with WinCap Compatibility Mode on has been installed and everything has been recognized). It's just that I feel like if I can't get *anything* from Win98SE's IE6, then I'm not going to get the kind of network connections I want for games.

Attached is the dosbox.conf of my configuration (yes, my realnic is 9. My network configuration is kind of ridiculous and might be at fault. I made sure the nic matched my real ethernet device though, so...)

I'm running the 32 bit SDL1.2 version of "DOSBox-X beta 0.82.8 2018-07-15 16:00"

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    124.19 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1502 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Danfun64 wrote:

I don't have the faintest idea why, but I'm having trouble connecting to the internet through the Guest OS using the emulated NE2000 (NPCap with WinCap Compatibility Mode on has been installed and everything has been recognized). It's just that I feel like if I can't get *anything* from Win98SE's IE6, then I'm not going to get the kind of network connections I want for games.

Attached is the dosbox.conf of my configuration (yes, my realnic is 9. My network configuration is kind of ridiculous and might be at fault. I made sure the nic matched my real ethernet device though, so...)

I'm running the 32 bit SDL1.2 version of "DOSBox-X beta 0.82.8 2018-07-15 16:00"

Change the NE2000 IRQ to 10, then in Windows 95 go into the control panel, system, and edit the NE2000 card settings to match.

I don't know why the original code that DOSBox-X inherited set the NIC default to IRQ 3.

Note that IRQ 3 conflicts with the serial port.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1503 of 2397, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No wonder PCem has it set to 10. Thanks for the quick response!

Edit: Still doesn't work. Odd.

Edit 2: Gave up and went back to PCem. It was more accurate (and ironically faster) anyways. Main reason I tried going with Dosbox-X in the first place was because it might have been faster than PCem.

Reply 1504 of 2397, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i downloaded the windows version and I get within the folders a total of 4 different versions of this program. 2 different 32bit versions and 2 different 64bit versions. Which binary should I be using?

Reply 1505 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Danfun64 wrote:

No wonder PCem has it set to 10. Thanks for the quick response!

Edit: Still doesn't work. Odd.

Edit 2: Gave up and went back to PCem. It was more accurate (and ironically faster) anyways. Main reason I tried going with Dosbox-X in the first place was because it might have been faster than PCem.

In making DOSBox-X faster I have occasionally sacrificed some performance, yes.

EDIT: Stupid typo... I meant "In making DOSBox-X more accurate I have occasionally sacrificed some performance, yes."

Try running with the --debug option and set up dosbox.conf to log all output to a file.

There's usually some pretty good hints at what is going on with NE2000 emulation.

Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2018-08-06, 15:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1506 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:

So i downloaded the windows version and I get within the folders a total of 4 different versions of this program. 2 different 32bit versions and 2 different 64bit versions. Which binary should I be using?

The best supported version is the SDL1 main version. I provide SDL2 versions for those who want it at the time.

Use the version that best suits your needs. However, 32-bit may provide better performance due to the dynamic core as long as the program or guest OS does not use 32-bit protected mode with paging.

Reply 1508 of 2397, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:

The best supported version is the SDL1 main version. I provide SDL2 versions for those who want it at the time.

Use the version that best suits your needs. However, 32-bit may provide better performance due to the dynamic core as long as the program or guest OS does not use 32-bit protected mode with paging.

Thank you for the reply. I'm just wondering, Do I need a Glidewrapper to use the voodoo emulation in this dosbox fork?

Reply 1509 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I'm just wondering, Do I need a Glidewrapper to use the voodoo emulation in this dosbox fork?

You'll need something to provide a GLIDE.OVL for the DOS game to talk to. I generally use the actual 3DFx drivers for testing that feature.

Reply 1510 of 2397, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

You'll need something to provide a GLIDE.OVL for the DOS game to talk to. I generally use the actual 3DFx drivers for testing that feature.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Reply 1511 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In keyboard.cpp, the AT and XT keyboard scancode sets handle repeat key presses differently (AddKey1 - 3).

if (keyb.repeat.key == keytype) {
/* repeated key being released */
keyb.repeat.key=KBD_NONE;

Reply 1512 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Verified that Windows 95 OSR2 guest uses the AddKey1 code path in my testing, so that code path is correct. In this case, pressing 2 keys at the same time in a dos box shows expected behavior where unpressing one of the keys does not deactivate the other key from repeating. I do not have a configuration that uses the AddKey2 or AddKey3 code path, so I am unable to test whether they require a similar change to their repeat key handling. However, my guess is that they do.

Reply 1513 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

Verified that Windows 95 OSR2 guest uses the AddKey1 code path in my testing, so that code path is correct. In this case, pressing 2 keys at the same time in a dos box shows expected behavior where unpressing one of the keys does not deactivate the other key from repeating. I do not have a configuration that uses the AddKey2 or AddKey3 code path, so I am unable to test whether they require a similar change to their repeat key handling. However, my guess is that they do.

The only way to test AddKey2 and AddKey3 is to run a guest OS that tells the keyboard to change the scan code set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scancode#PC_compatibles

EDIT: You can also test scan code sets 2 and 3 using the 8042 test program in DOSLIB.

Reply 1514 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that the code paths for 2 and 3 are not reachable in common situations, so maybe it is just worth noting about. Supposedly Linux 2.5 may access scancode set 3, but 8042 translates set 2 back to the set 1 XT set, at least that is my interpretation.

Reply 1515 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

It seems that the code paths for 2 and 3 are not reachable in common situations, so maybe it is just worth noting about. Supposedly Linux 2.5 may access scancode set 3, but 8042 translates set 2 back to the set 1 XT set, at least that is my interpretation.

Software written for AT and later systems can easily turn the XT translation on and off if the raw scan codes are desired.

The 8042 test program in DOSLIB allows you to play with these commands and test the keyboard scan code sets.

Reply 1517 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

I'll search the Win95 API for that.

What makes you think Microsoft has an API to do that??

Reply 1519 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

Thank you for sharing the information and for the doslib software to test with. I may test it on real hardware if I can find a ps/2 system.

It should work with any AT or PS/2 compatible system and keyboard. For best results use an actual PS/2 keyboard. Try to avoid testing with "USB legacy mode" (BIOS uses a USB keyboard to emulate a PS/2 keyboard).