DOSBox-X branch

Here you can discuss the development of patches.

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby Hadden » 2018-9-21 @ 18:39

Hi :)

I've updated dosbox-x recently (I had SVN Daum ykwong build, from three years ago). So, I'm configuring it a bit.

Is big files patch still implemented? (I don't see any file bigger than 2gb anywhere, so I can't try any mount of them);

Keyboard mapper (default config) which worked fine in daum build, now have the wrong layout(it keyb).
I'm not very sure of how can I change it, or if I can import/export the mapper file (I'd take the one from older build, which seems pretty similar).
Hadden
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 2015-11-29 @ 22:54

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby stamasd » 2018-9-22 @ 12:36

Still interested in finding a solution to my LPT problem, see description in my post on the previous page in the thread.
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O
stamasd
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: 2014-8-31 @ 19:59
Location: Connecticut

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby TheGreatCodeholio » 2018-11-04 @ 05:15

stamasd wrote:Still interested in finding a solution to my LPT problem, see description in my post on the previous page in the thread.


The direct LPT driver for Windows requires INPOUT32.DLL to allow userspace to access the parallel port I/O ports from userspace. Normally the Windows NT kernel keeps userspace applications (including DOSBox-X) isolated from direct hardware access.
DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.
User avatar
TheGreatCodeholio
Oldbie
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2011-8-18 @ 20:15
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby TheGreatCodeholio » 2018-11-04 @ 05:18

Hadden wrote:Hi :)

I've updated dosbox-x recently (I had SVN Daum ykwong build, from three years ago). So, I'm configuring it a bit.

Is big files patch still implemented? (I don't see any file bigger than 2gb anywhere, so I can't try any mount of them);

Keyboard mapper (default config) which worked fine in daum build, now have the wrong layout(it keyb).
I'm not very sure of how can I change it, or if I can import/export the mapper file (I'd take the one from older build, which seems pretty similar).


A change was made last year to remove the SDL 1.x library hack of forcing the US keyboard layout for DOSBox-X, and some new code was added for specific keyboard layouts. The changes involve both DOSBox-X and the modified SDL 1.x library in the DOSBox-X source tree.

Since I cannot possibly test every keyboard layout myself, I think the proper solution would be to write documentation in the source tree describing how to add support for more keyboard layouts.
DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.
User avatar
TheGreatCodeholio
Oldbie
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2011-8-18 @ 20:15
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby Timbi » 2018-11-07 @ 00:18

Considering how good DOSBox-X is and the future of it.
Wouldn't it be better to make DOSBox-X working only with images emulation of drives, without all the stuff which allows mounting host's directories and "external" tools? Simply it would be lighter.
I guess users have fun more while emulating whole OS instead of particular games.
User avatar
Timbi
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-4-11 @ 09:07

Re: DOSBox-X branch

Postby TheGreatCodeholio » 2018-11-07 @ 01:16

Timbi wrote:Considering how good DOSBox-X is and the future of it.
Wouldn't it be better to make DOSBox-X working only with images emulation of drives, without all the stuff which allows mounting host's directories and "external" tools? Simply it would be lighter.
I guess users have fun more while emulating whole OS instead of particular games.


I'd rather keep the ability to mount local directories as a drive, it's too useful, especially when it comes to retro development or patching games, while also providing the option to mount images as well.
DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.
User avatar
TheGreatCodeholio
Oldbie
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2011-8-18 @ 20:15
Location: Seattle, WA

Previous

Return to DOSBox Patches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest