VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 2397, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Thank you for the updates! That's brilliant work on debugging and correcting the mouse issues in NT. I think if ReactOS can boot, then people will have a non-Windows solution for gaming; an alternative is to customize a linux distribution (some apparently have booted linux inside regular dosbox).

I believe danoon is working on porting wine to SDL (with bits from dosbox), so that may offer code to augment your great progress in dosbox-x; assuming any native Windows emulation layer is a herculean task to create. 😀

Reply 361 of 2397, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
therock247uk wrote:

Which vs version do we use to compile this? or should one try mingw or something?

I use Visual Studio 2008 to compile the Win32 version. I've never tried it with mingw, yet.

I compiled it on VS2010 Express with only very minor tweaking.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 364 of 2397, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not compiled it in a while, so I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but it wouldn't have been much more than things like correcting paths to a few libraries. Just pay attention to the output window to see where it fails.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 366 of 2397, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help with one error that keeps me from compiling the latest source in Visual C++ 2008 Edition. I've followed these steps:

1. Install VC++2008 Express (a free download)
2. Install the 2008 DirectX SDK
3. Integrate the DirectX SDK into VC++2008 Express by following the instructions in the first answer here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … rum=Vsexpressvc

An attempt to build always fails with this message:

5>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'D:\Development\dosbox-x\vs2008\\..\zlibstat.lib'

The Project Explorer shows zlibstat as (unavailable) - The project file cannot be opened.

I tried following the instructions for building zlib that I found in vs2008\zlib\contrib\vstudio\readme.txt, but they didn't help, and the last two items under "Build instructions for Visual Studio 2008" both failed with error messages.

Maybe the answer is simply "Get a copy of Visual Studio 2008" but I hope someone can help with instructions for building under VC++2008 Express. Thanks for any help at all.

Reply 367 of 2397, by therock247uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

None 64bit os? the project files for the zlibstat etc reference files in the C:\Program Files (x86) dir which causes it to not build i found this on my xp 32bit vm that has vs 2008 installed. once you fix this all builds fine.

Edit this is the end of the buld log for vs 2010 to even get this far you have to build zlib manually from dosbox-x\vs2008\zlib\contrib\vstudio\vc10\zlibvc.sln then copy the libs to the right directory http://pastebin.com/dGhPJdZ9

Reply 368 of 2397, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's one answer to my own question in the message above, about building TheGreatCodeholio's great code for DOSBox-X without a full copy of Visual Studio 2008. This is only one way to build it - and certainly not the best way, because at one point I did the equivalent of hitting the code with a hammer to make it go, instead of solving a problem in the simplest possible way. So:

One way to build DOSBox-X in Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition under 32-bit Windows 7

1. Download and install Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (free download; search for it).

2. Download and install the 2008 version of the DirectX SDK (also free)

3. Integrate the DirectX SDK into VC++ by following the instructions in the first answer here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … rum=Vsexpressvc

4. Download and extract the latest source code for DOSBox-X from the link in TheGreatCodeholio's first message in this thread.

5. In the source code directory, use VC++2008 Express Edition to open vs2008\dosbox-x.sln

6. I got an error message about a file that failed to load in \vs2008\zlib\contrib\vstudio\vc9\zlibstat.vcproj. There is probably a simple way to fix this in the GUI, but I couldn't find it, so here is a brute-force way to do it that seems to work:

7. In the Solution Explorer, right-click on "zlibstat (unavailable)" and choose "Edit zlibstat.vcproj". In the XML file you will find ten lines that begin with the string:

InheritedPropertySheets="

and with a path and filename between quotation marks. In each of these lines, remove the string between the quotation marks so that the lines all read:

InheritedPropertySheets=""

Save and close the XML file. Right-click again on "zlibstat (unavailable)" and choose Reload Project.

8. Right-click on Solution 'dosbox-x' (6 projects), choose Build.

Someone who knows something about C++ (I don't know anything about it) will probably figure that out in two minutes, but it took me a few hours of trial and error. Anyway, I hope this may be useful to other complete beginners like myself.

Edit: I tested this on a 32-bit Windows 7 system, by the way, not 64-bit.

Reply 369 of 2397, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I set it up in VS Express from scratch again to remember for sure what I had done before, since I had not remembered it being that big of a deal. The main point of failure is that it was not finding the DirectX SDK. 2010 has deprecated the "Tools>Options>Projects and Solutions>VC++ directories". This has been replaced by a per user property sheet, which is added to all new and converted projects. I had been manually adding the DirectX lib path to each project since I had installed the DirectX SDK after I had installed VS2010 Express.

I just now added the path to the $(USERPROFILE)\appdata\local\microsoft\msbuild\v4.0\Microsoft.cpp.x86.users and it now adds the path automatically for me.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … forum=vcgeneral

Now it will build right after VS2010 updates the project upon first opening the VS2008 project.

Reply 371 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

found out the issue why the NT 3.1 installer and itself (the whole OS) goes on nuts when I click anything in DOSBox-x menu or in the window (not in the guest)?

It sounds like you're running a version of DOSBox-X that pre-dates the mouse INT33h emulation fix I described several post up. Latest versions of DOSBox-X do not have that issue.

Edit: Also need to mention the latest version does not yet have a Win32 equivalent build

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 373 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

actually, I compiled your latest source from last April 17th and it still happens

Really? Could you provide your dosbox.conf?

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 374 of 2397, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay, here it is + screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Filename
    Screenshot.png
    File size
    17.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    this happens whenever I click "Drive" in the dosbox menu.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    36.83 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File comment
    Dosbox.conf
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 376 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

okay, here it is + screenshot

I see the problem:

core=normal

Change it to:

core=dynamic

I wish I had the time to look deeper into it but the normal, full, and simple cores can't run Windows 9x/ME/NT properly without crashing.

also, I never considered yet running NT with cycles=max before, thanks for showing me that works 😀

Reply 378 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

still happens 😒

Did you compile it 32-bit or 64-bit?

A 64-bit build as far as I know does not provide a dynamic core. The dynamic core is x86-32 only.

Reply 379 of 2397, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

still happens 😒

Did you compile it 32-bit or 64-bit?

A 64-bit build as far as I know does not provide a dynamic core. The dynamic core is x86-32 only.

compiled with MinGW-builds and to be 32-bit.
Edit: I compiled it with --enable-core-inline in my MinGW environment and my host is Win7 64-bit SP1 Ultimate. Now re-compiling it without enable-core-inline.