Common searches

SCALER xBRZ (SDL1)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought folks would like to know that Hyllian was able to provide a shader version xBR compatible with DOSbox's shaders...
https://mega.co.nz/#!MJABWYJD!His25cu38q78urR … 1FMAzJJof6RWeh4

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 41 of 109, by oasis789

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:

Thought folks would like to know that Hyllian was able to provide a shader version xBR compatible with DOSbox's shaders...

Great, thanks! How do I use this?

Reply 42 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oasis789 wrote:
kolano wrote:

Great, thanks! How do I use this?

1. Get a DOSBox build with shader support, like Ykwongs.
2. Drop the shader files from the zip into the shaders folder.
3. Add/revise the appropriate dosbox config entry.

pixelshader=5xBR-v3.8c.fx forced

Reply 43 of 109, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

hmm, this actually looks like xBR scaler, not xBRZ
xBRZ is an evolution of xBR
also see this post with comparison images: SCALER xBRZ (SDL1)

Reply 44 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kekko wrote:
hmm, this actually looks like xBR scaler, not xBRZ xBRZ is an evolution of xBR also see this post with comparison images: SCALE […]
Show full quote
kolano wrote:

hmm, this actually looks like xBR scaler, not xBRZ
xBRZ is an evolution of xBR
also see this post with comparison images: SCALER xBRZ (SDL1)

Yes, "a shader version xBR". I believe the version of xBR in the shader is also newer than what XBRZ was based on. It's A, B, and C modes handle corners differently, and I think may similarly account for some of the things xBRZ does. The primary advantage is that it's shader rather than CPU based, so it doesn't dramatically impact DOSBox's emulated CPU performance the way xBRZ can at higher resolutions.

I'd still like to get the multi-pass mdapt+xbr shader I have from Higan working in DOSBox. mdapt can cleanly remove dithering/transparency effects (i.e. blending them into smooth colors), which I think could dramatically improve a lot of DOS games.

Reply 45 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

HQx is still far superior than xBZR cause it can detect and than filter similar colors. So it would be good if that technique was added to xBZR too. Compare the large clay bottle below.

Yes, I think xBR generally tries to preserve the original colors just modifying the pixel's scaled shapes. Under Higan it's fairly easy to combine things, since it supports multiple shader passes, which allows for things like a HQx pass followed by a xBR pass and can produce some nice results. I think my favorite combos would be:
mdapt+xBR: mdapt get's rid of dithering and fake transparency grids and then xBR scales up the resulting image
xBR+Dilation: xBR scales up the image, and then a dilation filter sharpens things allowing for details smaller than the scale (i.e. x5 zoom /w details <5px big for things like points, and fine lines)

It would be nice if similar functionality could be supported in DOSBox, though I would guess most things could likely be manually combined into single pass shaders. I guess in this particular case (i.e. HQx + xBR) scalers and shaders can be combined.

Reply 46 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I can find only old 5xBR from now outdated Gulikoza's page in a collection of shaders.

And I can't find xBRZ in it's .fx form anywhere.

I'd really like to use latest xBR and xBRZ and hybrids in DOSBox, so, could someone provide some links for those shaders?

Reply 47 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2mg wrote:

So, I can find only old 5xBR from now outdated Gulikoza's page in a collection of shaders.

And I can't find xBRZ in it's .fx form anywhere.

I'd really like to use latest xBR and xBRZ and hybrids in DOSBox, so, could someone provide some links for those shaders?

If you refer back to the start of this thread, xBRZ is CPU based and hasn't been made available as a shader. I'm not clear if the modifications made to xBR by xBRZ would be easily shader driven or not, but the source is available.

You can find various xBR implementations in a few GIT repos...
From libretro: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/tree/master/xbr
From BSNES (i.e. old, prior to Higan rename): https://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders/sourc … :shaders/OpenGL
...though I think you'll need to pare through the Higan forum post on xBR to find some of the more recent revisions...
http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248&start=0

Reply 48 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, thanks!

I've been looking for xBR (and xBRZ, but that's not that important) for both new Higan (.shader Quark model) and DOXBox .fx compatible.

As I said, Gulikoza's web has shaders that include one 5xBR, but I don't know how old that is, since the page hasn't been updated for a long time.

It would be nice for these shaders to have a unified repository though, and not a battle about type conventions...

PS: I see these are .cg, but DOSBox uses .fx right? Or both?

Reply 49 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm not sure if there are shaders compatible with DOSBox in the repos I posted. Hyllian provided me a fairly up to date version compatible with DOSBox in the Higan thread though, which he posted at...
...I presume there's some Amiga emu that uses .fx shaders too, explaining the "for Amiga" bit on the filename.

Reply 50 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolano wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure if there are shaders compatible with DOSBox in the repos I posted. Hyllian provided me a fairly up to date version compatible with DOSBox in the Higan thread though, which he posted at...
...I presume there's some Amiga emu that uses .fx shaders too, explaining the "for Amiga" bit on the filename.

Since the rise of libretro, RetroArch, OpenEmu, Higan etc., will DOSBox try to follow the new standardization of shader models - xml/non-xml, shader folders, .shader, and especially .cg?

Should I make a suggestion/feature request? Perhaps try to contact yhkwong and ask there?

Reply 51 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox does NOT use ANY scaler. There is Guliloza's patch and Inofficial Dosbox builts that use that patch. Since this patch is Windows only, the chances that it gets into Dosbox are slim or probably non-existant.
You could try getting Gulikoza or someone else to adapt the patch for other shaders support...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 52 of 109, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shader use "in general," though, is not platform specific. Any chance of cross platform use of them in the future?

Feeding Dragon

Reply 53 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The same applies, someone would need to do it and so far no one has stepped forward. I would like this myself;)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 54 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Dosbox does NOT use ANY scaler. There is Guliloza's patch and Inofficial Dosbox builts that use that patch. Since this patch is Windows only, the chances that it gets into Dosbox are slim or probably non-existant.
You could try getting Gulikoza or someone else to adapt the patch for other shaders support...

Well, I believe yhkwong's DAUM is the most popular... And Gulikoza's web isn't updated for some time. Is he active on VOGONS?

FeedingDragon wrote:

Shader use "in general," though, is not platform specific. Any chance of cross platform use of them in the future?

That's what the libretro/RetroArch is trying to achieve, see above mentioned links.

So far PS emulators have PEOPS shaders/filters, Kega Fusion has .rpi (which some other emus use for some reason), and .cg (and it's variants) is trying to become the cross-platform cross-emulator standard as I understand it. Higan is trying some with .shader folders. MAME and DOSBox (DAUM build) use .fx variants...

Dominus wrote:

The same applies, someone would need to do it and so far no one has stepped forward. I would like this myself;)

You could try to check out libretro shaders linked above from github, and also HqMAME (and VOGONS) have uncompiled xBRZ. IMHO I suck at coding, but I'd recommend that you try to contact yhkwong about switching to libretro shader models, AFAIK they even have some converters for shader types.

Reply 55 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yhkwong is just using Gulikoza's patch, he's not adding original stuff to it. Not to mention he's kind of MIA for mobths now.

Reply 56 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Yhkwong is just using Gulikoza's patch, he's not adding original stuff to it. Not to mention he's kind of MIA for mobths now.

Well, contacting both of these great figures would be a smart move in regards to shader/filter changes.

Reply 57 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Reply 58 of 109, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Now I might sound lazy, but I'm an end user with little to no knowledge about shaders and even less community involvement, so if anyone else is willing to give it a shot, I'd be more than happy, I might even go out and buy a floppy drive 😊