VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the area of DOSBox which I have spent the most time on and therefore my username!

The patch features the following:
- 24-bit colour support - I just wanted to experiment with this. It can be disabled by using machine types vesa_no24bpp or vesa_nolfb_no24bpp in dosbox.conf as it can confuse a few DOS apps such as SVGATest and SEA picture viewer.
- Some additional modes, including 1600x1200 - The mode list has been heavily customised to my own liking.
- Refresh rates for VESA modes inside DOSBox - The refresh rates can be set under a new section called vesa_refresh in dosbox.conf - This allows you to match the refresh rate inside DOSBox to your monitor. This only works for VESA modes, not standard VGA, EGA, CGA, etc.
- Extended text modes (80x60, 132x25, 132x43, 132x50 and 132x60), 9 pixels wide per character, which improves text mode readability, compared to 8 pixels wide - My very first graphics (Trident T9000i) card has such extended text modes.
- VGA text mode with 9 pixels wide per character for S3 Trio, not just standard VGA - This is the behaviour of other virtualisation solutions, such as VirtualBox and VMWare, and real graphics cards, including my real S3 Trio 64 / Vision 968.
- 512KB, 1MB, 2MB, 4MB and 8MB video memory options (4MB default). Therefore you can run Windows 3.1 in 1024x768 32bpp, with 4MB, etc. You cannot use more than 4MB in Windows 3.1 or else it will crash on startup. I have S3 Trio cards with with 4MB.
- Smooth page flipping under VBETest - Taken from DOSBox MB6.
- 64KB aligned page sizes - Taken from DOSBox SVN.

Credit to the original authors for the last 2 features.

Attachments

• Filename
    custom-vga-s3.patch
    File size
    56.28 KiB
    Downloads
    264 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by s3freak on 2018-08-12, 13:51. Edited 3 times in total.

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Moved to the patches forum DOSBox Patches

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This patch is so old, it certainly won't apply anywhere any more.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 5 of 10, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

This patch is so old, it certainly won't apply anywhere any more.

This is for DOSBox 0.74, which this patch is originally for, where I fixed a few bugs recently during my project to patch a S3 Trio / Vision BIOS on actual cards. I have not been updating the base DOSBox build ever since, especially when my focus is now on actual hardware.

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 8 of 10, by abchines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
abchines wrote:

How to install it?

Seriously?
It's a patch for the source code. You apply it on the source code and then compile the DOSBox executable.

Hallo! I know how to compile the souce, but I don't know where should I apply the patch.

Reply 9 of 10, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First you checkout the DOSBox source.

Then on Linux you'd do something like this:

patch -p0 < custom-vga-s3.patch

On Windows you could use TortoiseSVN GUI -> apply patch.

This patch was created in 2013 so it probably won't apply to the current SVN source. You can try solving conflicts manually or you can checkout some old 2013 revision of the source that won't have any conflicts.

Patch format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff#Unified_format

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 10 of 10, by abchines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
First you checkout the DOSBox source. […]
Show full quote

First you checkout the DOSBox source.

Then on Linux you'd do something like this:

patch -p0 < custom-vga-s3.patch

On Windows you could use TortoiseSVN GUI -> apply patch.

This patch was created in 2013 so it probably won't apply to the current SVN source. You can try solving conflicts manually or you can checkout some old 2013 revision of the source that won't have any conflicts.

Patch format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff#Unified_format

Thank you very much.