Common searches

Long File Name (LFN) support

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
avx wrote:

This build has issues with atleast System Shock 1. With last years build it did not start, with the 20160327 build it now starts but cannot find the sound config. (I have it set to general midi + GUS)

Thanks for reporting the issue with System Shock 1! I have fixed the problem finding the sound config as you described (I have tested Sound Blaster and General MIDI, both worked now) in the 20160407 build. This 20160407 build also incorporated the changes from the latest DOSBox SVN r3979, and download links for the Windows binaries remain the same as previous versions. If you find any other issue please report it too. Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Wengier on 2016-09-26, 17:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 81 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have updated the DOSBox SVN-lfn source and Windows binary to build 2016.09.26, which fixes some issue and also incorporates the changes from the latest DOSBox SVN version r3995. It now further contains LPTx port passthrough feature for printing support (see README.TXT inside the binary packages for more details). The download links for the Windows binary remains the same (i.e. http://bit.ly/12jANWF for the Visual Studio build and http://bit.ly/1laDvGX for the MinGW build), and the latest diff and source files changed from the latest DOSBox SVN version have been uploaded in the attachments (EDIT: please download the latest diff and source files from my next post).

Last edited by Wengier on 2016-09-26, 17:42. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 82 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated for DOSBox SVN 4006. Also added the APM power down feature to shut down DOSBox SVN-lfn and (for Windows) DOS APIs that communicate with the Windows clipboard directly (e.g. 4DOS's clipboard feature via the CLIP: device name will work). The source code changes have been attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosboxlfn.diff
    File size
    98.01 KiB
    Downloads
    182 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    srcchanges.zip
    File size
    247.5 KiB
    Downloads
    154 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 83 of 104, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wengier wrote:

Updated for DOSBox SVN 4006. Also added the APM power down feature to shut down DOSBox SVN-lfn and (for Windows) DOS APIs that communicate with the Windows clipboard directly (e.g. 4DOS's clipboard feature via the CLIP: device name will work). The source code changes have been attached.

This(170905) build seems has bug when I start RICH3 with super slow motion. (20161007 build is fine)

EDIT: Oops. This is actually an old bug happens after r4000. A bug report is filed. https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/467/

Reply 84 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have updated the DOSBox SVN-lfn to match the latest DOSBox SVN version 4052 in the latest build, which should include the fix linked from the above post, and also new commands FOR and PROMPT are added to the build. The download links for the latest builds remain the same.

Reply 86 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lemur21 wrote on 2019-03-14, 21:11:

Does the SVN-lfn build include support for printing? I have a set of old games that I use DosBox to play - and they generate statistics that I'd love to be able to print.

Yes, it does allow you to print via the LPT passthrough feature. Not a full-featured printing support like my vDosPlus though.

Reply 87 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have updated the DOSBox SVN-lfn to match the latest DOSBox SVN version 4334 in the latest build. The Windows binary is available from:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/files/d … box-svn-lfn.zip

And the changed source code files are available from:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/files/srcchanges.zip

Reply 88 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LFN support has already been fully integrated into DOSBox-X with further improvements, so it is recommended to use DOSBox-X with the setting ver=7.1 for improved LFN support. The all in-one Windows installer for the latest version of DOSBox-X is available from:

DOSBox-X-Setup-Windows-latest.exe

Last edited by Wengier on 2021-04-25, 23:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 91 of 104, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And even if so, such "improvements" should perhaps be disabled by default and only be activated if desired (say via dosbox.conf or via DOS command).
I mean, just Imagine what happens if the media starts to advertise this change.
People not familiar with DOS would do all crazy sorts of things with path names (using spaces etc).
This surely would cause lots of confusion with older tutorials or newer tutorials with older DOSBox releases (or real MS-DOS).
Teaching people to take care of DOS' 8.3 naming scheme took ages, already.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 92 of 104, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@j022 also with DOSBox-X the LFN support is disabled by default. The two ways to activate it in DOSBox-X are to either set your reported DOS version to 7.0+ which corresponds to Win95. Or set [DOS] LNF=TRUE (defaults to AUTO, which means to activate when dos ver >= 7.0).

I would imagine that a backported patch would take a similar approach

Reply 93 of 104, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@fr500,

I'm aware of how extensive the LFN changes are, and at least for me, back-porting it would be a non-trivial amount of work.

Are you able to share why DOSBox-X with already-working LFN support is unsatisfactory for your needs versus "SVN + backported-LFN"?

Reply 95 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Avenger wrote on 2021-04-24, 06:52:

I see that DOSBox X has long file name support but does it support file names with spaces?

For example If I'm trying to run the EXE file "hard game.exe" is this possible?

Definitely! This is a basic feature of long file name support. Just make sure LFN feature is enabled in DOSBox-X then it should work.

Reply 96 of 104, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2021-04-24, 09:17:

I see that DOSBox X has long file name support but does it support file names with spaces?

Definitely! This is a basic feature of long file name support. Just make sure LFN feature is enabled in DOSBox-X then it should work.

Well, the standard DOSBox SVN LFN release from a few years back wouldn't do it so that's why I ask. I was able to run EXE files with more than the standard 8.3 characters but spaces still caused problems.

I'm hoping that this X version has changed that.

Reply 97 of 104, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Avenger wrote on 2021-04-25, 21:08:

Well, the standard DOSBox SVN LFN release from a few years back wouldn't do it so that's why I ask. I was able to run EXE files with more than the standard 8.3 characters but spaces still caused problems.

The LFN patch for SVN had not been updated for some time, so it is a much older version compared with the DOSBox-X version. The LFN patch for SVN supports spaces in file reading/writing etc (e.g. type "a b.txt" will work), but not in file execution (which is why running the EXE file "hard game.exe" did not work). On the other hand, the LFN support in DOSBox-X is a much newer version and resolves all such issues. Hope this helps.

Reply 98 of 104, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2021-04-25, 21:43:

The LFN patch for SVN had not been updated for some time, so it is a much older version compared with the DOSBox-X version. The LFN patch for SVN supports spaces in file reading/writing etc (e.g. type "a b.txt" will work), but not in file execution (which is why running the EXE file "hard game.exe" did not work). On the other hand, the LFN support in DOSBox-X is a much newer version and resolves all such issues. Hope this helps.

Great.

Thanks for the reply.

I will give this a try.

Reply 99 of 104, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2021-04-25, 21:43:

So I gave this a go. I definitely like the expanded UX options such as removing UI elements, BIOS splash screen, desktop position, etc. A lot of the additional features are certainly suited for applications though (and there's a TON of them) which in my circumstance aren't needed so I had to strip down all the .conf files I created considerably to make them traversable as opposed to a massive wall of text settings.

A couple of other things:

-Long file name support does work for EXE's with spaces in the name but does not for WAD files. Even with quotes or wild cards.
-Quake game music sounds a little odd. Almost as if it's being slightly drawn out. It's hard to explain. I compared using the exact same settings on the same machine between the regular 0.74 version of DOSBox and then spent an hour messing with the audio settings with no luck. I'm personally running the game through QDOS as the machine I used doesn't have an optical drive for my disc and this allows music playback via OGG files. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but I would assume there shouldn't be any difference in behavior from the base version.

I'll continue to use it with the hope of these being fixed in the future.

Cheers.