VOGONS

Common searches

Virtual printer

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 86 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

H-a-l, thanks for your patient support. Please help me with 2 issues:
1- I do not understand these "esc-p" commands: within the dosbox all I get is, after pressing esc, a "\" bar and if afterward I add p (which will only show a "p" on a new line without a prompt) and press enter, i get a message "illegal command: p.". What is the correct usage of these commands?

2- I did rename first the sansserif.ttf and later the roman.ttf font to courier.ttf (which became courier.old, oldcouriet.old, or just old) and restarted dosbox every time, but I still get the same printer output which does not even remotely look like courier (but if I print straight from DOS it's OK with Courier). Did I do anything wrong?

Reply 88 of 150, by WBS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am I right that your printer patch has not been built into the latest (6.3) DOSBox?
Is there a thread that shows what someone needs to know to build your patch into DOSBox?
I develop 16 bit Foxpro apps, but don't have experience with C or C++. I should be able to follow directions, tho 😉

Reply 90 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried renaming and even deleting the fonts leaving only the "renamed" courier.ttf, or another one. it seems to me that it works only when all fonts are both in the dosbox directory and in the dll directory (if any of them were missing, it would not print or it printed a blank page).

attached is a printout of a pdf output (yes, i used pdfcreator from sourceforge) to show the fonts that print - the only kind of fonts! it is irrelevant which printer i used - whether my brother laser, the hp deskjet, or pdfcreator.

note how the "temp" directory became " emp", and the grey band on the left is the edge of the page. any ideas what can i do?

Attachments

• printout.PNG
    Filename
    printout.PNG
    File size
    34.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 92 of 150, by WBS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops! Fizzban hasn't been around in 2 years?
Ok, I tried Ykhwong's CVS (the one before last, listed as stable) and can't get past the error reported as ".\dll\d3dx9.dll". I'm thinking it's my fault - I'm on a seat managed PC so for those of us in that predicament, I can't install or update anything on this PC.
Ykhwong, is there a CVS version that has your virtual print capability without needing a d3dx9.dll or update? My PC's system32 has a d3d9.dll (I know nothing about directx) - was there a build you made that called it? or is there a conf setting that would not require directX?

Reply 93 of 150, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ZIP archive already has d3dx9.dll (in dll directory). Would you extract ALL of the contents from the file?
All of my recent builds require d3dx9.dll because of the existence of direc3d feature from gulikoza.
As I tested, virtual printer feature works fine in both of my two builds (latest one and stable one).

Reply 94 of 150, by WBS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did see your d3dx9.dll file but have no way to install it in windows/system32. When you say it is in dll directory, do you mean it is locatable as .\dll\d3dx9.dll? I couldn't figure out the .\dll path which the error message reports.
Our PC's are locked down here, so I must run DOSBox and all of its .dll's out of its own directory.

Now I understand the dependency on direc3d. Admittedly I'm one of those hapless people looking at DOSBox to solve 16-bit application print issues on Windows X64 platform. I admit my focus is not on games but really appreciate your website and all your effort. I was looking at your latest "stable" build.

Could you point your build to d3dx9.dll in the DOSBox directory? Don't know if that would work, but all the other component .dll's work from the DOSBox directory.

Reply 95 of 150, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am also using Windows XP 64bit edition. So I understand that DOSBox could be a nice solution to run dos app/games because there's no NTVDM (16bit emulation).
You don't need to copy d3dx9.dll into windows/system32.
As you see in the archive, you can see the following directories.
'CAPTURE', 'DLL', and 'DOCS'
In DLL directory - one of the directories, there're external library files (eg., d3dx9.dll, sdl.dll), printer fonts, and direct3d pixelshaders.
If DOSBox exists in C:\DOSBOX, for example, DOSBox looks for a file d3dx9.dll in C:\DOSBOX\DLL, not windows/system32 directory.

Reply 96 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ykhwong, I am having a problem printing: the fonts, all of which are both in the dll and root folders of dosbox, do not work at all. What I get is some other font, which is way too ugly and is uneven.

I also noticed that if I remove any of the fonts it will not print at all.

Any suggestions?

Attached is a copy of the printout I get.

Attachments

• printout.PNG
    Filename
    printout.PNG
    File size
    34.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 99 of 150, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
asitnik wrote:

indeed, a very smart answer! just what i needed to hear!
can YOU tell me how to change the colour settings? if not, please stop the wisecracks.

I think it's time for you to leave, unhelped...

Change the attitude fast - why should one of the DOSBOX programming team continue to waste his time attempting to help you with something which is NOT part of the core DOSBOX product?

Ingrate.

dvwjr