VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least we found what cause this problem, maybe it will be useful for someone.

Last edited by KainXVIII on 2017-02-02, 14:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 30, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested and the presence of the ROMs does prevent the listing for me as well.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 22 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@collector: can you check whether it is because mt32emu is always enabled or by default and when you disable it, the roma don't matter?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 30, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

@collector: can you check whether it is because mt32emu is always enabled or by default and when you disable it, the roma don't matter?

Does not matter, roms cause issues even if mt32 emulations is set to off.

Reply 24 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks for checking! This is bad coding then 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 30, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The command "mixer /listmidi" works with the win32 midi device only!

What I think is happening here is: The MT32 patch makes MT32 emu the new default midi device (which I don't like really). So if you start up DOSBox with "mididevice=default", it tries to load the MT32 emulator. If you set up your config pointing to the roms in the DOSBox directory and you start up, MT32 emu will successfully be loaded, but "mixer /listmidi" won't show nothing. Now if you remove the roms from the directory, the MT32 emu won't load and DOSBox does a fallback to the win32 midi device. And, as we now know, "mixer /listmidi" works with that one and will list the midi devices successfully again. Please have a look at your DOSBox status windows, I bet it looks like this:

DOSBox_win32_fallback.jpg
Filename
DOSBox_win32_fallback.jpg
File size
96.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see here, DOSbox doesn't care if the roms are in the same directory:

DOSBox_win32_listmidi.jpg
Filename
DOSBox_win32_listmidi.jpg
File size
242.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 26 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So, we should tell Sergm to change his patch that it doesn't set mt32emu as default 😉

Reply 27 of 30, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

So, we should tell Sergm to change his patch that it doesn't set mt32emu as default 😉

I asked him how to change it, maybe it's no big deal.

UPDATE: Changed! Win32 is now default again.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)