VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

vDosPlus is general-purpose non-gaming DOS emulator for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, based on vDos and DOSBox. Unlike the official version of DOSBox, which is specifically designed for DOS gaming, vDosPlus is designed for running normal DOS applications. Compared with vDos, while vDosPlus has all its features such as built-in 4DOS 8.00 shell which provides powerful command-line functionalities and printing to both PCL, PS and Windows-only (GDI) printers, vDosPlus has many unique features too, such as tighter integration with Windows, enhanced keyboard, mouse and display support (the feature list is long).

vDosPlus was once known as vDos-lfn because its initial focus was Windows-style long filename (LFN) support, but now it contains far more unique features than LFN support. It is based on mature projects and was also well tested by for example the XyWrite community, so it should be considered pretty stable as well. The home page of vDosPlus is now available at the following address. You can find its latest versions (both installers and portable versions are available) and further information in the vDosPlus home page.

http://www.vdosplus.org/

Please feel free to test it and leave any feedback and other comments, either here or in the vDosPlus discussion board (which is just open). Thanks!

P.S. I think this thread belongs to the DOSBox Patches forum. But should there be a DOSBox Forks forum for all software forked from DOSBox too?

Last edited by Wengier on 2016-10-09, 04:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good on you for making something up-to-date and robustly supported (or so it seems).

Does this run Clipper apps? There are still occasionally people passing through here looking to run Clipper apps.

Also, I suppose there's still no graphics support (e.g. WordPerfect 6 in graphics mode) ?

Reply 2 of 7, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Good on you for making something up-to-date and robustly supported (or so it seems).

Does this run Clipper apps? There are still occasionally people passing through here looking to run Clipper apps.

Also, I suppose there's still no graphics support (e.g. WordPerfect 6 in graphics mode) ?

Hi Jorpho,

Yes, DOS xBase applications such as dBase and Clipper are officially supported by vDosPlus. Like vDos, the only graphical mode that is currently supported in vDosPlus is VGA mode, but this may change in the future for vDosPlus to support more graphical modes. Thanks for asking.

Wengier

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I moved it to the patches forum, but I, too, think that we could use a "forks" forum, but so far the powers that be were reluctant to add it.
Thanks for doing this!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you too!

As the vDosPlus project is currently being actively maintained and supported, even more features will come soon, and more contents will come to the vDosPlus home page shortly too. All users please feel free to download and use it and leave your comments (either here or in the vDosPlus discussion board as mentioned in the first post). Thank you all for your support!

EDIT: Because of the recent donation by vDosPlus users, I have launched the new website for vDosPlus, i.e. vDosPlus.org. This URL should be very easy to remember for all users. Thanks a lot for those who have participated in the recent donation and all who contributed to vDosPlus!

Wengier

Reply 5 of 7, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I run install.exe from Free Pascal 3.0 for DOS Go32V2 vDosPlus crashes with the follwing error in a windows message box:

JMP: Illegal descriptor type 9

I ran the supplied cswdpmi.exe before running the installer, so I don't know what may be wrong.

Reply 6 of 7, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're far more likely to get an answer about vDosPlus at its support forum (linked in an earlier post on this thread) than here at the DOSBox support forum. The vDosPlus forum is at:

https://sourceforge.net/p/vdosplus/discussion/