Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I assume you set the baudrate in dosbox.conf ?
The layout has been changed:

[bios]
serial1=directserial realport:com1 startbps:1200 parity:e bytesize:8 stopbits:1 irq:4
serial2=modem listenport:23 startbps: ...
serial3=dummy startbps: ...
serial4=disabled

is the full amount of options specified.

Reply 61 of 353, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I'd like to thank you very much for helping me get dosbox up and running with my text to speech synthesiser. Way to go. I hope the serial port patch will be included in the next dosbox version. This is just so damn fantastic!! I can play all my old classics. Just yesterday I had excelsior phase 1 up and running for the first time in years. Great going!

Reply 62 of 353, by jeanmi75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes but with the original version when I change the baudrate in my program, it was modified here it remains with the setting file conf .
herewith my program for my plc

Attachments

• Filename
    smartpip.zip
    File size
    17.05 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File comment
    program for automat, is used like a terminal
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 63 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@whocrazy: enjoy it 😀

@jeanmi75: looks like it works with my not yet availible v5 (loopback adaptor)

I hope it's all right with the forum provider that I keep uploading files here... maybe I delete some old ones?

Reply 64 of 353, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think Snover minds, although it would probably be easier for people to find your stuff if you put it all on a little web page somewhere (that way people don't have to dig through the forum to try to find where you posted a file if they forgot where it was).

Reply 65 of 353, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the correct location for patches is the sourceforge project page, it has an exta patches section. There you can remove old patches and upload new ones as needed.

Reply 66 of 353, by GordL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi H-A-L-9000

In the industrial automation environment there will be considerable interest in a functioning serial port in DOSBox. You mention S5's in an earlier post. There are a whole host of applications and hardware (PLC's and DCS's) that are dependant on DOS and simply will not communicate under W2K/XP and all of our old DOS laptops are slowly going the way of the dodo. I work with several manufacturers' products that have only DOS based configuration utilities. In a significant number of cases the manufacturers no longer exist. I'm on my way over to sourceforge to d/l your patch in the hope of getting an old Mitsubishi application (Medoc) to work again. Thanks for your work. It should greatly simplify my life:-)

GordL

Reply 68 of 353, by GordL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again H-A-L-9000

I found and d/l'd your dosbox_serial3.exe from this ng. I had to manually locate and copy zlib1.dll and libpng13.dll into my \windows\system directory before I could run it successfully though. I copied all of your ComPort setup stuff from your DOSBox.conf file and pasted it all into the original dosbox.conf. (Yes, of course I first removed all of the ComPort stuff from the original dosbox.conf and carefully edited the ComPort parameters as appropriate for my laptop.😀) After doing so my W2K laptop, running your modified version of DOSBox, properly ran the Mitsubishi PLC programming software (Medoc) and successfully communicated with both Fx and A-series PLC's. Bravo! Well done!

I duplicated this procedure/setup on a WinXP machine and, unfortunately, Medoc fails to properly access the communication port on it.

Any thoughts, ideas, musings, tips, etc. from you or anyone else in this forum are greatly appreciated

Best Regards
GordL

Reply 69 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

- Make sure the com port isn't used by something else
- Increase Dosbox' emulation speed by either setting cycles=<higher number than 3000> in dosbox.conf or pressing ctrl+F12 while Dosbox is running.

Reply 70 of 353, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Commited everything to the cvs.
(with some personal touches).

Feel free to test some games with the ipx and modem support.
(I was wondering about One must fall)

be sure to do a cvs update -dP

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 71 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm, that one doesn't work, neither modem nor IPX (you can get connection and challenge the other player but when the actual game should start it crashes on both computers). But I don't think this is my fault, it crashes when it switches between its executables I think.
CALLBACK_RunRealInt(0x21); in shell_misc.cpp, line 454 is somehow involved in the crash.

Reply 72 of 353, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Darn, knew I should have been working on listing my DOS games that support IPX. Well should be fairly easy...don't think any real mode games support IPX do they?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 73 of 353, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see that this patch just went in. I am trying to update my patch, should be up soon but there is a little issue in current CVS. The updated version of softmodem.h unconditionally includes SDL_net.h and depends on it, it should really be inside "#if C_MODEM||C_IPX". CPP file seems to be fine with this solutions, everything that needs to be bracketed there is already bracketed.
Side question: memory.cpp got changed and there is commented out block related to interrupt vector initialization there (at the very end). Qbix, what was wrong with just zeroing out allocated memory? That fixed the problem that started that entire discussion (Win95/VC.NET/Debug) and I don't see how it can really break anything: according to the C++ standard contents of memory allocated by new are not guaranteed to be nul, the current implementation is inherently unsafe.
BTW, is Harekiet around these days? I can't wait for the day when I stop watching CVS changes looking for potential conflicts with my patch...

Reply 74 of 353, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Vasyl: I will then zero the total memory instead. I was a bit confused in that discusion as I thought it modified our default handler setup. Didn't see that zeroing happeneds before anything is written to it.

Will see I can update that softmodem.h thing.

Harekiet is around, but not really active on dosbox. Busy playing games. Which is offcourse as fun as well as coding on dosbox is.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 76 of 353, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

any idea for a guide on how to make printer working on Windows 3.1x?
A step-by-step would be appreciated since I didn't get what the direct serial is capable of right now.

Reply 77 of 353, by GordL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...sorry. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I tested DOSBox on 'emulated' serial ports up to Com5. Many laptops now ship without _any_ serial ports. DOSBox solves this problem too! The emulated ports were actually USB-to-serial converters. With appropriate editing of the dosbox.conf file my old DOS apps. were able to communicate via USB on what W2K and WXP reported as Com5. ...very cool.

Thanks again
GordL

Reply 78 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@Dosfreak:
IPX usage is not limited to protected mode, but most games do use it.

@Dominus:
Ok, 2 steps:

1. Type "serial1 directserial realport:com1" at the command prompt, where realport:com1 is the port you plug your printer in, serial1 is the emulated port.

2. Install your printer in Win3 as you would usually do, set com1 as its interface. If it works it should print 😀 (oh, and make sure the properties of the serial link match -> printer manual)

Since serial printers are rare, this should not be of much use anyway.

...oh, I just remembered that my HP Laserjet 3P has a serial connector, so I can even test it myself...