Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It should say Internal error in serial port(1)(number) now? (number is the interesting part).

IPX should have an performance advantage: serial port produces an interrupt per character, IPX (well something similar to an interrupt) per packet.
Wit the serial stuff I have to buffer up some data (txdelay) before sending it or else there would be a huge network overhead... 48 bytes IP headers for one byte of payload.
About lag: On a serial connection there is no lag to be expected at all (expect if the other computer is a slug) but since the emulated one uses IP there will be some.
I don't really know how games handle the data stream internally but even on the serial port there will be some 'data units'. The game can only use such a unit when it is complete. In IPX it will make a packet of such a unit and send/receive it as a whole.

We could theorize a lot about this but practical experiences are a lot better... I must admit I only test on LAN or even on one computer and don't know how it behaves on the real internet.

1+1=10

Reply 141 of 353, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've attached logs from both Warcraft and Command and Conquer. Seems Warcraft doesn't produce errors. Don't be confused by the log, I switched the serial configuration on the fly for no apparent reason.

With respect to lag, I was rather referring to the modem connection, for which game programmers should have anticipated some lag.

We could theorize a lot about this but practical experiences are a lot better... I must admit I only test on LAN or even on one computer and don't know how it behaves on the real internet.

I'm open for testing 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    stdout_warcraft.txt
    File size
    614 Bytes
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    stdout_cnc.txt
    File size
    3.61 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 144 of 353, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alkarion wrote:

I'm open for testing 😉

Time for a VOGONS DosBox dedicated server! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 149 of 353, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HAL:

Firstly, I want to thank you so very much for the recent improvements you've made to the DIRECTSERIAL emulation in DOSBox! There are applications I have which won't even run correctly in either VMWare or VirtualPC but works perfectly in this version of DOSBox! 😁

There are, however, a couple of applications which still fail due to serial I/O issues. Now, these aren't games, so I'm not going to elaborate, but it would be really helpful if I had the sources for the .EXE in dosbox3.zip so I can attempt to track down the source of the problem (if you've already committed them to CVS, nevermind, I'll pry them out from there).

Thanks!

Banzai

Reply 150 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's the nullmodem2.diff from the previous page.

I'm not a Dosbox developer, you can talk to me about other things than games too 😉

Good to hear it works better. Would be nice if you share your findings.

1+1=10

Reply 153 of 353, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just FYI: The .diff file seems to have an error in the section that diff's the VS project file: dosbox.vcproj. I get a 'malformed patch at . . . ." error. If I remove that section, it patches up ok, so maybe the version of PATCH is not right . . .

If it works for you, then I must be doing something wrong (not the first time). 😜

Reply 156 of 353, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, great. We get a clean patchup of current CVS, and we have a clean build under VS-8 (A.K.A. VS 2005) after the requisite project conversion. I did have to add WS2_32.lib to the link properties, for some reason. Now I need to do some testing. . . .

Thanks! I really appreciate your help . . . . 😀

Reply 158 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It is intended to work on Linux too but I can't check since I don't have a Linux environment. There is no directserial support in that patch but the other changes apply to Linux too.
Does it compile with
#define NATIVESOCKETS 1
commented out in config.h? What is the compilation error?

1+1=10

Reply 159 of 353, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

During compilation, the following error is output on my console.

serialdummy.cpp:103:2: warning: no newline at end of file
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I../../../include -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -MT serialport.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/serialport.Tpo" -c -o serialport.o serialport.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/serialport.Tpo" ".deps/serialport.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/serialport.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
nullmodem.h:89: error: extra qualification 'CNullModem::' on member 'TelnetEmulation'
make[4]: *** [serialport.o] Error 1

If I comment out the line you noted, the compilation error still occurs.

By the way, I should mention that I was using the nullmodem3.diff file you posted above alone. If there's any other patch I should of applied, let me know. I wasn't entirely sure which patch file to apply, but that one seemed a good bet.

Hope this helps 😀