VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 100 of 343, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hmm, running win 3.11 in 1024... Do you have a link to the drivers (so we can add it to the vga drivers thread mentioned a bit further up)?
Keyboard not working after running windows is odd, I don't remember that happening to me.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 101 of 343, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "turbo" drivers can be found at http://garbo.uwasa.fi/windows/drivers.html (et4win31.zip). 3.11 comes with its own generic SVGA drivers and they work just as well. "Turbo" driver is supposedly faster -- I don't know if that is still true for DOSBox or not. Just for the record, I used fully patched version of DOSBox from ykhwong's site during this test.
I have this deja vu feeling about non-working keyboard. There was something like that in Win3 times and there was workaround, I just cannot remember details...
EDIT. Found a few more things about Win3.11. If debugger output is enabled it produces massive spew about unimplemented opcode 63. That's ARPL. The output is so heavy that DOSBox becomes practically unusable.
I've tried Win32s. It installed OK (for some reason failed on the first attempt but succeeded on the second, something related to directory creation). 32-bit Freecell runs just fine.
As for locking keyboard... It happens only in Daum Cafe build. My local build (CVS from 7/8 + my SVGA patch) does not show this behavior. This means that one of the patches in that build has bad side effect. Any ideas?

Reply 105 of 343, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

which patch was the one that broke the keyboard ?
So I can discard that one.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 106 of 343, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that keyboardv2.diff makes the keyboard locked.
'qemukeyboard.cpp' file that ih8regs newly uploaded on sourceforge doesn't break the keyboard.

Last edited by ykhwong on 2005-07-14, 08:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 107 of 343, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the reason why dos games are slow in svga mode. That's because FPS (Frame per second) is fixed.
the fps is fixed to 62 in svga mode.

Last edited by ykhwong on 2005-07-15, 09:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 108 of 343, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will check this tonight. I am not sure what exactly is wrong but the fact that 70/62 ~ 28/25 (two main VGA clocks) suggests that you are onto something. VGA clock emulation needs some work in general but this may be just some small bug in my driver (or somewhere else, or code interaction bug). There is also a possibility that some games change the clock intentionally in the presense of SVGA even for non-SVGA modes.

Reply 109 of 343, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new patch on ykhwong's site is fantastic.

Win Workgroups 3.11, works a treat, now. Keyboard now works, and I can now play games like Loderunner for Windows, and the superb Journeyman, all work well.
I still can't believe how good Journeyman still looks, and sounds. With great orchestral scores up there with Lost Eden.
Quicktime for Windows, seemed to install fine, but occasionally freezes Dosbox, and you are taken back to the desktop.

Is there a working Quicktime for Win, anywhere ?

And can anyone remember how to get a joystick working in Win 3.11 ?

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 110 of 343, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Write command byte doesn't work correctly in that patch. Fixed it(long ago before uploading qemu handler testing actually) but I never sent an update. It might be the cause but I'll have to grab win 3.11 to find out what commands it's sending on exit.

Reply 111 of 343, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

to get a working joystick in windows 3.11 download ftp://pc58.ibspan.waw.pl/pub/mirror/ftp.mpoli … THER/IBMJOY.ZIP
(or search elsewhere for this zip) and install the driver.

Reply 112 of 343, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That joystick driver worked a treat, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, are pixel shaders disabled in these builds ?
They work well under gulikoza's d3d builds, but I've not got them working under ykhwong's builds.
I just wouldn't mind seeing Bilinear filtering on Win 3.11, or a scale filter, but they don't seem to be working.
Not important. 😀

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 114 of 343, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've investigated that slowdown effect ykhwong reported. First of all, it is not a bug, it is actually correct. It is caused by my patch but it is not in my code. At some point I've merged in "setmode/crtc corrections" (1198821) patch (it has some related and useful stuff). That brought this change in int10_modes.cpp:

/* Setup MISC Output Register */
- Bit8u misc_output=0x2 | (mono_mode ? 0x0 : 0x1);
+ Bit8u misc_output=0x2 | !mono_mode;
+
+ switch (CurMode->vdispend) {
+ case 400: misc_output|=0x60;
+ if (CurMode->type==M_TEXT) // && (CurMode->pstart==0xB8000))
+ misc_output|=0x4;
+ break;
+ case 480: misc_output|=0xe0;
+ break;
+ case 350: misc_output|=0xa0;
+ break;
+ default: misc_output|=0x60;
+ }
IO_Write(0x3c2,misc_output); //Setup for 3b4 or 3d4

Bits 2 & 3 of misc_output eventually control VGA clock. The code above will set 28MHz clock only in certain text modes. 25MHz clock is used in all other cases. It is somewhat inelegant and incomplete (S3 implementation has a set of overrides, I will deal with this issue for Tseng/Paradise later) but it is reasonable approximation for now. Double-check: http://www.osdever.net/FreeVGA/vga/extreg.htm -- tells the same thing. So, it's not that games run slower with patch, it's that they were running too fast without it. Not all games should be affected, only those that used vblank for synchronization (probably still a majority).

Reply 115 of 343, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it, vasyl.
But synchronization with frequency(fps?) is sometimes not good for slow system users to run games that use it fluently, I think.
Is it possible to put an option to synchronize vga into config file?

Reply 116 of 343, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not mess with the way DOS games did synchronization. Some used timer, some used vblank (now I am not so sure if that was the majority), some relied on CPU speed (Digger 😀 ), there were even games that used sound hardware for sync. Try to improve one game -- and you risk breaking ten others.
I think with control over timeslice for emulation, frameskip, and some optimizations DOSBox is reasonably friendly to lower-end hardware. Don't forget the dynamic core, that can go the long way. I remember the impact of adding dynamic core to UAE (Amiga emulator), it was 3-4x performance improvement, close to 10x in some cases, in other words, big.

Reply 118 of 343, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CraiG, you can download Direct3D Pixel Shaders in Add-on section on my page. Extract 'direct3d-pixelshader.zip' into dosbox folder.
It works fine for me

Thanks for that. I overwrote the ones in my Dosbox directory with yours, and they now work. Thanks. 😀

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2