VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work flawlessly with msys, as it is using the usual Makefile.am mechanism and works fine here. You may have to rerun automake (or rather, autogen.sh) and configure, I found that mingw/msys sometimes fail to notice changed files.

To debug the problem, check that Makefile.in/Makefile contain the rules from Makefile.am.

Reply 81 of 156, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's something weird...the .h file are really not created (I ran autogen on my linux box) during compilation. I copied them over from the previous release to make it compile...but then the headers were created during make install! There's also the problem of detecting HOSTCC in mingw since it wants to use cc which does not exist...
great work on dosbox patch...this just might be it with a few tweaks 😁

Reply 82 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny thing, really. If I "make clean", the headers are removed. A "make" then regenerates the files properly. Perhaps it's because of HOSTCC=cc?

That's a problem in itself, as I can't reliably detect it. Autoconf/automake don't provide a way to do this, and I simply lack test machines to write a good cross-platform version. Set HOSTCC=gcc in Makefile.am, that's probably as portable as any autodetect I could come up with right now.

gulikoza, any suggestions regarding the dosbox patch? Or even better, any coding from your part? 😉

Reply 83 of 156, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the HOSTCC=cc failed later at make install because asciidump could not be compiled. Yup...really something weird, because I tried forcing header generation by typing make SDL_ohqvideo.o and it complained no rule to make SDL_ohqvideo.o 😕 😕

Well...your dosbox patch was quite broken 😜 I had to copy/paste the code, it wouldn't apply. I also added few tweaks to better size the window. I'm not sure how fast putenv is, but I guess it shouldn't matter since mode changes are infrequent. Also...there's a problem when fullfixed=true, dosbox seems to calculate display size differently so I added a check for that too. I made a modification to Openglhq as well...I added a check in RenderFrame to see if there is any scaling done, if not, the fragment programs are skipped (I'm not sure how correct my modification is, so if you like this feature you could probably make it better 😉).

I now have an updated build on my page, it works nicely 😀. I also found an interesting thing...triple buffering will work if fulldouble is NOT set. When I set fulldouble and force triple in the control panel, dosbox will crash as it did before...

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-sdlhq.diff
    File size
    3.14 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File comment
    Patch for dosbox to use SDL OpenGL-HQ through config file
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 84 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just uploaded a fixed version. I found out that the dependency rule I used with dosbox doesn't work when libtool is used. Automake provides a predefined variable for that.

I've also simply set HOST_CC=gcc. I doubt that there are any unixish systems out there that can run this (having a decent video driver is probably the most important part) and miss gcc.

The patch was broken? Huh? It's against yesterday's CVS. I'll take your patch and integrate it into the next release.

By the way, if you read the README (you do read it, as experienced as you are, hm? 😉 ), you'd already know about the fulldouble thing. Update your catalyst, then it won't even crash (just hang).

Reply 85 of 156, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The diff is missing line information so patch sees it as a garbage only...but that doesn't matter now anyway.

hehe...I read the first readme and only fast forwarded through this one. Perhaps you should supply a diff for readme as well 🤣
So...I've read it again and it only mentions fullscreen. Here I'm talking about window. Set fulldouble in dosbox to true, it will crash before even showing prompt and I'm using latest cats...I'm also somewhat confused as to what this option is really supposed to do.

Readme wrote:

- ATI's Triple-Buffering feature interferes with some apps; if you see lockups or similar, try setting SDL_OPENGLHQ_DOUBLEBUF as shown below

dosbox.diff wrote:

if (sdl.desktop.doublebuf) putenv("SDL_OPENGLHQ_DOUBLEBUF=1");

But it is in this exact case that dosbox crashes. If I set fulldouble to false, triple buffering works...

Reply 86 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've uploaded a new version, unfortunately also called -30. If you downloaded earlier than 13:58 CEST, you got the old one.

I integrated your patch, but I modified it a bit so that aspect=true works correctly in fullfixed (something I really missed 😉 ). Nice work - it made the task a lot easier.

I haven't seen any problems with triple-buffering in windowed modes. The only observation I made is that it crashes when not double buffering in windows, but double buffering in fullscreen (which is what that putenv is supposed to work around).

I hate Triple-Buffering.

Reply 87 of 156, by Bjarni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to compile this patch on MacOS X, but once I got to linking, I got:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_OPENGLHQ_bootstrap
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

I looked into the diff file, but I can't really see a reason why it should fail here and work elsewhere. I'm using the newest diff and newest SDL. I did change one line in the SDL code to get it to compile, but I don't think it is related to this issue. Somebody forgot to rename SDL_OPENGLBLIT to SDL_OPENGLBLIT_OBSOLITE for quartz. With this line modified, the unpatched SDL compiles fine.

Do you have an idea to how to fix this or at least an idea that I could use to investigate this?

Reply 88 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coolness! Finally a MacOS X version.

What compiler ships with OSX? I assume it's some gcc version, but which exactly? (gcc --version)

Can you redirect compilation output to a file and attach it here? I'd imagine something like

{ make distclean; ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make; } &> compile.log

Reply 89 of 156, by Bjarni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
$ gcc --version
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0 (GCC) 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)

This is the one I use, but several people still uses 3.3 and maybe even 3.1

I worked on a new clean checkout since the SDL guys fixed the issue I found (and pretty fast after I mailed them, I might add). I think it's better to try this on a source, which got no manual modifications at all.

Attachments

• Filename
    compile.log
    File size
    291.22 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File comment
    compiler output
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 90 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, found it, yet another configure.in bug. I'm uploading a new SDL diff right now, find it standalone in the archive dir (I will not create a new package for such a small issue, but it will be included when a new version is released)

Reply 91 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have now announced the SDL patch on a few mailing lists/forums (exult, nuvie, scummvm, sdl), so probably some people from those projects find their way here by virtue of a direct link on the OpenGL-HQ homepage.

A welcome to you, and I can't stress this enough: be sure to read all of the README. The fine dosbox folks around here have tested this thoroughly, and if you encounter a problem (there are some, I'm afraid), they probably already found them.

Reply 92 of 156, by Bjarni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I got the patched SDL compiled and now I want to make DosBox use it without actually installing it (I don't want to install experimental libs in my system)
I started by editing the makefile to statically link to the new lib files, but then I noticed that I need to do that with a whole lot of subdir makefiles too. Do anybody have an idea on how to do this an easy way. It feels kind of lame to alter all of them manually.

Reply 93 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In subdir src/.libs/ there should be a dynamic library (however that looks on your system). I have no idea how OSX handles all this, but how about this: backup your current SDL library, copy the one from src/.libs to where the old one was, run dosbox (or anything else).
If you insist on static linking, in src/.libs there should also be a full static library without the need to meddle with subdirs.

Reply 95 of 156, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This issue was already reported in the D3D thread but I'll repost it here. There's a problem with the mouse cursor when alt-tabbing. Sometimes the cursor will be stuck in a portion of the screen. After moving the mouse a few times it will move freely again (this is the problem I observed Kaminari, if your's is different feel free to add something 😀). The problem is it seems that openglhq mode does not update the mouse position when it reaquires focus. All other modes seem to put the game cursor where the user clicked (and where the real hidden cursor is supposed to be), but openglhq will leave it where it was and when the real cursor hits border, the game cursor will stop in the middle of the screen.
The other problem I have is when display modes switches in fullscreen my crt makes a lot of noise. Not that it doesn't work but I don't like it 😀. It seems the resolution is quickly changed more than 1 time. Again I'm not sure if this is really bad for the monitor but I'd rather not find out...
Other than that when I changed my 9600xt for 9800pro I got a rather nice boost with openglhq as well...I really like it now 😀

Reply 96 of 156, by pxmm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does the version of SDL used to make the Opengl-HQ differ from the one supplied with ScummVM since it seems to cause some odd problems when I use it, even if I disable the Opengl-HQ output.

The problems include skipping dialogue in Lucasarts games such as Full Throttle and The Dig and also Broken Sword freezes everything on the screen whenever the mouse is moved and then resumes after the mouse is made still.

These problems disappear if I swap in the SDL.dll from the 0.7.1 or current (12/07/05) CVS.

I have an Athlon XP 3200+ with a radeon 9800 pro and other than these problems the games run and look brillant.

Would this problem require me to integrate the Opengl-HQ patch and build my own SDL.dll from the CVS?

Reply 97 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's based on the 1.3 branch of SDL, which is experimental. You can't use the current 1.2 release for OpemGL-HQ. I know this particular mouse problem and can't help it, unfortunately - scummvm issues lots and lots of updates, much more than 70fps, while moving the mouse, OHQ simply can't keep up. Maybe I'll add an option to work around that problem, but I'm not sure yet if my current idea works.

Reply 98 of 156, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

`Moe` did you have the chance to look at the issues I reported (have you even noticed my post as there was no feedback? 😉). I'm playing Ultima Underworld again and that mouse behaviour bothers me a little...

Reply 99 of 156, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I didn't look at it yet. It's quite difficult to diagnose, as I don't usually run XP, and it's different on Linux. Feel free to fiddle around with it yourself, mouse event filtering is done in just 2 functions, maybe I missed something.