Common searches

VIDEO - Direct3D patch (Host)

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 173, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps I'm missing something, but sdl doesn't recognize my radeon(1) aiw as capable of doing directx: "SDL:Unsupported output device direct3d, switching back to surface". It follows the opengl not being suited for radeons bit, as it's slower than surface. ddraw always runs at 1x, ignoring any config scaling settings. At 1x it's not faster than surface at 2x. Overlay gives some speed improvment but it's blurry so I use surface.

Reply 62 of 173, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I figured it was in cvs already. What's the hold up? Had to do several manual changes to integrate it with my changes(yet to be released). Looks to be the same speed up as overlay but a lot less blurry.

Reply 63 of 173, by Patarival

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is Pat reporting in about my 2xSAI-problem.

Well, it remains a problem for me but now I'm fairly sure that my problem has nothing to do with 2xSAI, the direct3d-patch or DOSBox.

I noticed the following in Flight Simulator 2004:
When selecting a plane it no longer displays the plane in this little 3d-window instead there's just a black box (and even the mousepointer vanishes inside it) but strangely playing the game itself doesn't cause any problems.
So I guess there is something wrong with my pc... somewhere.

Thanks for your help anyway! This is a great forum and perhaps now that I'm registered I'll try to help others too!

Reply 64 of 173, by Bayli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought that people would like to know. Terra Nova Strikeforce Centauri works very well with gulikoza's CVS.

Signatures, who needs them.. ahh.. darn it..
I'm a wizard! BoooomMMm! (or whatever)

Reply 65 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A new D3D shader was sent to me. Feel free to post your thoughts, I think it looks great, although it make some lines a bit jagged...

Attachments

• Filename
    GS2x.zip
    File size
    996 Bytes
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File comment
    unzip, copy GS2x.fx to dosbox dir and set pixelshader=
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 66 of 173, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think the patch could use an update with current CVS. I'm getting some errors compiling it in sdl_main.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 67 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, harekiet's changes in the past few days turned sdlmain upside down 😁. There's a lot of work to be done and I'm in the middle of my exams so it will take a week or two to fix...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 68 of 173, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks anyway, it's not urgent 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 69 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm updating the patch now and I found out (after some debugging 😜) that *changedLines does not contain any valid data if gfx flag is set to GFX_HARDWARE. Is there any special reason for this? Wouldn't there still be some performance increase if a flip or buffer swap was skipped even when the surface is hardware?

Reply 70 of 173, by Malichite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been encountering an error (SDL:D3D: Cannot lock texture!) whenever I try to use output=direct3d in Windows 2k using both a 7800GTX or a X850XT. I am using the latest compiled version from gulikoza's site (060125) and I also have the latest DirectX redist (Feb 2006) installed, but I have been unable to get it to work. If however I try to run this on a WinXP system, I encounter NO problems using the exact same config.

Since I am trying to use this on my second machine (i.e. Win2k), is there some file or environment setting that I am missing on Win2k that would fix this problem? I tried to search all the forums, but I have been unable to find any reference to this problem and Googling only gives a like to gulikoza's website direct3d.diff.

-Malichite

Reply 71 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm...It's true I never tested on w2k since I don't have it, but d3d api should be stable enough...
There is unfortunately no way for an application to know what happened other than report the call has failed. To figure out what is going on, you'd need to install the debug version of directx, chnage via control panel applet to use the debug d3d dlls and see what error directx reports with debugview...

Reply 72 of 173, by Malichite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I am getting the feeling that this is another one of those MS quirks that have recently begun to pop up with respect to Win2K. I love it when games like Battle for Middle Earth 2 or Age of Empires 3 run the same/better on my Win2k setup, but the installers won't let you even install the game without a workaround. I tried to DL the debug DirectX SDK for Feb '06 to get you more info, but low and behold the installer says that Win2k is no longer supported. Like I said in my first post, I have tried it on two separate Win2k systems with the same result. It would be nice to verify that I am not the only one with the problem though.

Oh well looks like a deadend as I am NOT going to buy a copy of WinXP just to use on my second machine. Even though I have a ATI card I will have to rely on OpenGL if I want to use it on my Win2K box. Thanks for the info.

-Malichite

Reply 74 of 173, by tha_specializt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah, same Issue here! I got the Errormessage "Unable to lock ...." just like you! Older Games like M.U.G.E.N DBZ run extremly slow, how are you all able to get them runnin fast? I´ve selected output=OpenGl in Dosbox.conf, it just loads up and the Games are as slow as before, how can i fix this?? Do i need a seperate Patch for OpenGL? I´ve got the latest Release from gulizoka´s Page, i dont know if there´s OpenGL in it 😳

Reply 75 of 173, by Profound_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just googled and found this page. It's been a while....

Just snaged the dosboxcvs-060518 precompiled zip and loaded it up. lo and behold runing in direct3d mode I get "SDL:D3D:Cannot lock texture!" infinitly.

I too am running win2k though I do have a dx 90b sdk from back when I was fiddling with directx (not installed right now)... Figures MS is trying to push win2k out before it's support cycle is up they aren't supposed to stop supporting something until the 2nd generation (ie vista) is actualy out... Officialy anyway.

<thought strikes while typing>
I seem to remember fixing a bit of a problem with another recently released game by grabbing a file that was supposed to come with some distributions of directx that somehow wasn't always included. Also somehow dxdiag misses that you are missing a critical file for some newer games...

Now if I can just remember what game it was <grumble>... It's possible we are all missing this file.

Reply 76 of 173, by tha_specializt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, there is one Solution: Switch to Windows XP, Win2000 is outdated, anyway. Actually, there are modern Games and Programs (!) which refuse to run on 2000... I guess we got a "You MUST buy XYZ to use our Product"-Situation here...
Capitalism sucks!

Reply 77 of 173, by Profound_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply but I was interupted part way through typing the original of this post and didn't get back to my computer till time to sleep (so I hit hibernate and proceeded to snoor).

Anyway, found the file from some time googling and getting lucky enough to find a thread on another forum to jog my memory. The file missing from many of the dx distros is d3dx9_30.dll. And it wasnt missing from a recent game (for me) but a ps2 emulator I played with. I found the file, put it in with this dosbox compile, and no joy. btw: this is also a known issue with some new everquest pack.

gulikoza:
Thx, if you happen to figure it out I would love to hear the why to this even if it can't be repaired (personal curiosity mostly). Alternately if you can point me to an appropriate download of the dx9sdk that will install under win2k as well as an 060518 precompiled for debug I could take a look.

Reply 78 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the problem. Seems w2k doesn't like D3DLOCK_NO_DIRTY_UPDATE flag. It works fine if I don't pass it to LockRect call.
But solving this is another thing. Since dosbox knows what regions of the texture it has updated, passing D3DLOCK_NO_DIRTY_UPDATE and then invalidating just a part of the texture is faster than invalidating the whole texture. This seems to work in XP, but it doesn't in W2k. I could compile without the flag, but then XP would be slower...