Common searches

PhysFS patch

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 100, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since "unmounting imgae drive patch" created by krounz went into the current cvs, the patch didn't work.
I updated it against current cvs again. Look at the attachment.

patch -up1 < dosbox-physfs-20051205.diff

Attachments

Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-08-09, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 100, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot, I got it to work after manually fixing up some makefiles and dependencies here and there, and resolving a couple of 'multiple definition of xxx' errors during linking (a conflict with libz and libphysfs).

Reply 43 of 100, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any way to use a .ZIP as a writeable destination instead of writing the files to a directory?

The writeable .ZIP would just use "Store" instead of any compression method so there shouldn't be an issue with speed.

I don't know how everyone else has their DOS game archive setup but on my Backup drive I have a DOS directory and then all of my games are compressed with .ZIP. So my directory structure looks like this:

\DOS
"Duke Nukem 3D.ZIP"
"Quake.ZIP"

It would be nice if you could save your writes to a "Duke Nukem 3D - PHYSFS.ZIP". That way you don't have to worry about creating directories and whatnot.

If this has already been covered before then I appologize but I haven't seen any mention of it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 44 of 100, by darkskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I'm having a problem... I'm using DOSBox 0.72 with DBGL as my frontend. My intent is making a profile database of games that will be stored as zip files on DVD, load'n'play style. I created a master folder SAVES, then a sub-folder for each game for the save of its contents. Some games save and load nice, but most of doesnt do that, neither save the settings of a setup executable. what i'm doing wrong here? do i have to specify mount as dir, or put a label or anything like that? I appreciate all help, thanks for reading.

Reply 47 of 100, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Correct forum: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 48 of 100, by darkskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, i was aware of that forum thanks, but the problem is that i was unable to register myself there (tried w/ Fox, IE and Opera), and as this is a DOSBox forum and a PhysFS topic, well... there is anybody who can try to help me? the problem only occur with zipped files, not all of them but most of it... i tried to set mount as dir (using DBGL and choosing the zip file and save location, then after you have the option "As") but no luck, and about the label i dont have a clue too... also tried without DBGL, but no chance... Please help me!

Reply 49 of 100, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as long as you set the 'zipfile' and 'write' location (directory) in the mounting dialog box, you should be fine. Also make sure that you have a dosbox version associated with your profile that actually supports physfs (your own build, YKHWong's or Gulikoza's). Plain v0.72 will not work, obviously.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 50 of 100, by darkskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, i'm sure that it is a PhysFS compatible version, i got all in the same package, and it works with all zipped games, the problem is in saving, some work, but lots of others dont, setting the zip location and a write location as well. Am I missing something? For example, in one game, the save file appears in the folder, but the game doesn't see the save.

Reply 51 of 100, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea if ykhwong still uses my codebase, as I abandoned it some time ago (found a better solution for my own needs). If his code is still (more or less) my original patch, then that might well be a bug. There is an issue or two left, which I never debugged because of me finding something better than physfs. ("better" as related to my own needs)

Reply 52 of 100, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

well, i'm sure that it is a PhysFS compatible version, i got all in the same package, and it works with all zipped games

Bah, this is a reson why the road down the PhysFS patcg might lead to legal hell. I could have read you wrong but to me it sounded like you got a package with games and the patched physfs dosbox. Physfs does make it much easier for such packages and I'm not sure if that is really good.
On the other hand I see how it is beneficial for legit users...
@Moe, care to elaborate what you are using now?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 53 of 100, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Linux-native facilities. Much easier to use, because it works the same for all emulators (instead of having ot patch each one separately), and non-emulators (Wine Is Not an Emulator 😉.

Cromfs (very highly compressed filesystem, 7-zip based, reasonably fast, read-only), Funionfs (takes care of write support, stores changed files in separate dir), both of them run via FUSE (filesystem in user space).

Reply 54 of 100, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, I can see how that works for you 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 55 of 100, by darkskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i collected those games from all sources, including original floppies, backups, abandonware sites and was storing in CDs here and there, but when i heard of the patch, i was trying to mount a DVD of these games, for my convenience... it looks like the write folder option store the files needed, the problem looks in the loading process. the games that work are those that store only save game files, then loads fine. but those that save settings (like the product of a seup) simply doesn't work.
some games i solved the problem by unzipping, doing the setup thing, then zipping again, which the games correctly read and load those settings..
others no luck, not even w/ the save game files.

Reply 56 of 100, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, keep in mind that I didn't use it for a long time. But if done right, the write folder should do exactly what you expected. It just doesn't work for a handful of games.

Reply 57 of 100, by darkskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks all for sharing your help. I decide to just burn the DVD with those zipped games in a subfolder, just unzipping those that i'll play, and the others that work in another one. thanks again

Reply 58 of 100, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there demand to maintain this patch? I have ported it to 0.73 and added configure check and some ifdef's to make it compile without physfs (no, it doesn't work then, but at least it compiles 😀).
It applies cleanly but it hasn't been tested beyond a single zip mount so it might not work if something else has changed (I am not familiar with the code, porting was mostly done by solving patch rejections 😜). I will include it this time in my build but it might get dropped if there is no interest.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-physfs.diff
    File size
    60.96 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 59 of 100, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much Gulikoza, yes, there is interest alright. Quite a few DBGL users rely on this patch, so keeping it up-to-date is greatly appreciated!