Common searches

VIDEO - Overscan border (SDL1)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 100, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could be wrong, but that reminds me that there might be some item or something in Wolfenstein 3D that causes a border to appear.

There's also a cheat code for it, but I don't know if it's for the overscan border:
http://www.mac-archive.com/wolfenstein/pc-codes.html

Reply 41 of 100, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the overscan border. Not a very useful thing, IMHO. I seem to recall they used it to flicker the border when you picked up a bonus, but I'm not sure.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 45 of 100, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got some time to work on this one. Not enough to make the entire thing working but I've tried Qbix's suggestion. Anybody cares to test and comment this one? The border will only work in surface/fullfixed modes were you actually have an overscan area. This is not a replacement for my previous patch, I am still working on the full patch.

Attachments

Reply 46 of 100, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It worked only with fullscreen 640x480 / surface. But so strange.
Look at the screenshot below.

Attachments

• cap.png
    Filename
    cap.png
    File size
    6.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 53 of 100, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
TeaRex wrote:

As far as I can tell, just say fullresolution=<what>x<ever>

This implies fullfixed now, it seems.

That is correct.
fullfixed=false => fullresolution=original

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 54 of 100, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated to current CVS (that patch still should work), tried fullresolution=1024x768, and got the expected -- small image in the middle of the screen surrounded by very thick (all the way to the edge) red border. Probably need to limit the width of that border to 100 pixels or so -- it gets too distracting.

Reply 55 of 100, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've uploaded new version to SF. This one has limitation that it works only with surface rendering. It also requires fullscreen mode to be bigger than the game video mode (it is actually ovescan), works just fine in window mode by extending window accordingly. Very cheap performance-wise, looks quite good, easy to maintain unlike the old version.
I am planning to extend it to other rendering modes. I don't want to reimplement blending ovescan inside the image, it was too hacky before, it's really ugly with new renderer. Maybe some stippling hack like the one I had in paletted modes but that's not a priority.

Reply 59 of 100, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

I had thought about a patch that flashes the whole screen in that color (in the distant future).

I wouldn't consider that an optimal solution, as some games may use border colors as a persistent notification.

I've always felt that a piece was missing from DOSBox without this functionality, although I do realize it's hard to emulate cleanly.