VOGONS

dosgame multiplayer problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by hens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi
i play jurassic war

now I want not succeeds to play the game online whit a friend

we tried this already

Using DOSBox's Nullmodem feature

nullmoden help

http://eldertomes.wikiscrolls.org/mp.html

when i set in conf serial1=nullmodem server:<myip

then I come in multiplayer room of the game always as sub never as host
see screen jurassicwaronlinewd2.th.pngthpix.gif

on someone else manner do not succeeds it on in the multiplayer room from the game to come

when i tried to connect whit a friend it always falied

what screens of institutions of the game

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6734/54996114yb8.png
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8115/82221893ht9.png
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/525/27312460fy9.png

Reply 1 of 27, by arnoldNL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah 😐

WWe tried the following things :

1:

I was the host so i changed the config file into this :

serial1=nullmodem port:5000
I have forwarded the port 5000 in my router.

My friend changed it into this : serial1=nullmodem server:'IP' port:5000
I think the IP would be my IP ? That's what we did.

Then i started the game with DOS. But my friend couldn't connect. When he makes the server (serial1=nullmodem port:5000) i can't connect to him. Well....why not ? What is wrong ?

2:

Host: typed in dos IPXNET STARTSERVER
My friend : typed IPXNET CONNECT 'IP''
Note : when we tried this we changed the ipx=false into ipx=true in the config file- dos map.

We have the baud rate the same.

We tried for months now, because we played this game when we were very little, so it's very important for us. And it's my most beloved game ever.

Attachments

• The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.

Greetz ARnold..

Reply 4 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When faced with such problems, I always turn to netcat, a small, powerful utility for creating/testing/troubleshooting TCP and UDP connections.

It is available Windows, but since it is operated from the command-line, not many Windows users knows about it, so the guides you will find will probably be geared towards Unix/Linux users:

http://www.linuxforums.org/network/having_fun … th_netcat..html

Start by downloading and installing netcat. OBS: Beware that your anti-virus program may well flag it as malware / hacking tool and take steps to block/delete it!!

Then test it locally:

Start 2 CMD windows on PC #1.
In CMD #1 start netcat so it listens on TCP port 5000:

netcat -l -p 5000

In CMD #2 start netcat and make it connect to port 5000 locally:

netcat 127.0.0.1 5000

Now start typing! Press CTRL-C to stop.

Now that you know how to make netcat listen on TCP 5000, start it again, and start CMD + netcat on PC #2, and have it connect to port 5000 on PC #1:

netcat nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 5000

nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is of course the IP address of the other PC, or the external IP address of the router that PC #1 uses to connect to the Internet. Easiest way to find that is to go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/.

If all this remote netcat'ing works, then you know that you got your router and IP-addresses set up correctly. After that you can start figuring out why the multi-player game does not work in DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 27, by arnoldNL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried things, i thought about Hamachi and all...now i hear this. I really hope it will help me, but i read this about that program :

'Beware that using a copy of netcat that you aren’t sure how the source was compiled is very dangerous. If possible review the source code and compile it yourself. '

But if its the only option ^^ .. Thanks for helping me out. And by the way, i don't think it's copy protection because this game lost its protection, i guess. Because its so old

Greetz ARnold..

Reply 11 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

1) You are using a game I don't have (and no, I don't want a copy unless you convince me that it is legal to share the game).

2) You seemingly ignored my idea of using netcat to verify that you got the IP connection and firewall'ing configured correctly.

3) You introduced yet another program (Hamachi) that I don't have, don't know, and is not interested in having, since I believe it is totally unnecessary when using DOSBox.

So, all in all, how do you think you are doing so far?

Reply 16 of 27, by arnoldNL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
1) You are using a game I don't have (and no, I don't want a copy unless you convince me that it is legal to share the game). […]
Show full quote

1) You are using a game I don't have (and no, I don't want a copy unless you convince me that it is legal to share the game).

2) You seemingly ignored my idea of using netcat to verify that you got the IP connection and firewall'ing configured correctly.

3) You introduced yet another program (Hamachi) that I don't have, don't know, and is not interested in having, since I believe it is totally unnecessary when using DOSBox.

1) I don't think it's legal so i won't convince you 😜 BUT maybe it is. I WILL check it anywaysss..

2) I can't find the download - and it scared me, the virus thing. I hope my virus scanner (AVG) won't find the virus otherwise im not sure il use the program - but its a good idea to test it, i know, i dont mean i dont want it.

3) Atleast we connect with Hamachi what we didnt before !! Its handy when we dont need Hamachi because i rather use DOSBOX then 10 programs 😁

Well i dont like the question but i think we're doing good. Because we tried to play this game for more then 1 year and almost 3 months and we never came this far. And i know what you think right now but hey thats me.

We are the type of guys that never gives up.

Greetz ARnold..

Reply 18 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
arnoldNL wrote:

2) I can't find the download - and it scared me, the virus thing. I hope my virus scanner (AVG) won't find the virus otherwise im not sure il use the program - but its a good idea to test it, i know, i dont mean i dont want it.

You already downloaded and installed DOSBox, even though you had no guarantee that it would not instantly wipe your harddrive. Same with this Hamachi thing, and possibly 100's of other programs freeware programs that you have installed over time. netcat can be used to tunnel information to and from your PC, just like any other VPN tool (like Hamachi). And it can do other things as well, like launching external programs when incoming traffic is detected. It is tool - a powerful tool - but nothing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat

Reply 19 of 27, by arnoldNL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
arnoldNL wrote:

You already downloaded and installed DOSBox, even though you had no guarantee that it would not instantly wipe your harddrive. Same with this Hamachi thing, and possibly 100's of other programs freeware programs that you have installed over time. netcat can be used to tunnel information to and from your PC, just like any other VPN tool (like Hamachi). And it can do other things as well, like launching external programs when incoming traffic is detected. It is tool - a powerful tool - but nothing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat

Yes but the programs i install are without viruses. I just dont trust programs who are potentially harmful programs <--- Do you understand me ?

Greetz ARnold..