VOGONS

First post, by alphatmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm trying to get some multiplayer games off using dosbox but i can't get the nullmodem feature to work. i've read every page i could find regarding how to do it (including the ones found here), and i've followed them to a T.

i've tried adding the server:ip addition and so has my friend. neither seems to work.

i've done the ipx tunneling thing too, but to no avail.

i'm not computer savvy so i may be missing something obvious, but be assured that i've followed all instructions carefully thus far.

when i try to ping my friends IP or he tries mine, we get the connection timed out. when i try "serial1 nullmodem servier:xxxxx" in dosbox, i get "connectioned failed", as does he.

is this a firewall issue or something? a port issue? let me know what the relevant facts are and i'll give them to you.

Reply 1 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Are you and your friend connected over the Internet, or side-by-side on a local network?

If on the Internet, are you sure you know the real IP-addresses to use?
https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=xxxxx should tell you both your real, external IP-address, and if you have punched enough holes through your firewalls.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
alphatmw wrote:

i'm also getting port 0 - not a valid port number. what does this mean?

It means that I trusted you when you wrote:

alphatmw wrote:

we get the connection timed out. when i try "serial1 nullmodem servier:xxxxx" in dosbox, i get "connectioned failed", as does he.

Reply 5 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You could start by telling us which port number you actually used instead of xxxxxx.

Reply 7 of 14, by alphatmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

from what i understand, server:<whatever> is the IP address, not the port number. i saw that you could tack on port:<whatever> but didn't know if it was necessary. and if it was necessary, i didn't know which port would of been better.

doesn't dosbox automatically go for port 23? thats why it says in the status window.

but to answer your question, i used my IP address, then my friends, then just some other random 192.168.x.x ones.

if you could give me some more detailed guidance, please do. i hope you're not assuming i know a lot about how this stuff works. when you say stuff like "well i trusted you when you told me this", i have no idea what you're implying about my previous statements.

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
alphatmw wrote:

from what i understand, server:<whatever> is the IP address, not the port number. i saw that you could tack on port:<whatever> but didn't know if it was necessary. and if it was necessary, i didn't know which port would of been better.

doesn't dosbox automatically go for port 23? thats why it says in the status window.

Ahh, my bad.

First setup up DOSBox as a nullmodem server:

serial1=nullmodem port:23

Then fire up DOSBox and verify that the status window says:

Serial1: Nullmodem server waiting for connection on port 23...

Next, go to https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=23

GRC will try to connect back to you on port 23. If DOSBox is running and responding on port 23, and if you have correctly opened the all the necessary incoming ports/tunnels/forwardings on your routers/firewalls, you should get a warning from GRC that your system is accessible from the outside.

At the same time, the DOSBox status window should say:

Serial1: A client (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) has connected.
Serial1: Disconnected.

Once you have that going, and know that the outside world can connect to DOSBox, have your friend run DOSBox as a client with:

serial1=nullmodem server:your.external.IP.address port:23

Reply 9 of 14, by alphatmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ah thanks, this is a lot clearer now.

i'm still getting stealth and dosbox status shows nothing. i tried again with window firewall disabled and got the same result.

edit: i just tried turning the router firewall off also, but no change. NAT on the router is also enabled.

Reply 10 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
alphatmw wrote:

i'm still getting stealth and dosbox status shows nothing.

Do you get the

Serial1: Nullmodem server waiting for connection on port 23...

???

Can you fire a CMD-window and do a

C:\> telnet 127.0.0.1 23

??

Do you see the connection in the DOSBox status window?

Try having your friend do a

C:\> telnet your.external.ip.address 23

Reply 11 of 14, by alphatmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, so far, i get the "nullmodem server waiting for connection on port 23" everytime.

using the telnet command, i get "'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

i googled that, found out that vista doesn't have the telnet client/server on, which i assume i need. i switched both on and am now waiting for windows to finish configuring....

ok! its moving along now. i tried https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=23 again but nothing.

i cmd'd the telnet command and got "a client <127.0.0.1> has connected".

friend not available right now, will try that command on his side when i can.

Reply 12 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On your router, you'll probably have to forward port 23 to the internal IP of the machine running the DOSBox "Server". Your router accepts packets on that port (if you've disabled any firewalling), but it doesn't know what to do with the packets. You have to tell your router where to send these packets.

Reply 14 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure. Send me your router's manual and €250 in cash, and i'll configure your router for you.

Seriously, if your router model is on portforward.com, it can't be any easier. By VOGONS standards you've already got a _lot_ of help and leading-by-the-hand. There are things you'll have to figure out yourself.