Rank

Motherboard: Whatever is in a 2008 Black MacBook

Processor type and speed: Intel Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz

Amount and type of RAM: 2 GB

Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Intel Integrated X3100, 144 MB

Sound board: Intel Integrated

Operating system: OSX 10.5.6

Game name: ROTT 1.3 Shareware

Description of problem: I am trying to run IPXNET to start a network and everytime I start the server it says that my IP address is 127.0.0.1. I have read everything I can fid about it and I can't find a solution that works. I know that my IP address is not 127.0.0.1 and I have tried starting the server, letting it say that IP and then running IPXNET connect on the second computer and adding in the real IP address. I have tried using routing through my router. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong? From what I have read it seems like other people have no trouble getting it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate the help. I want to play ROTT with my girlfriend. I remember playing it as a kid over my modem with friends and it was fun. Thanks!

Reproducibility of problem: It happens every time and on every computer I have tried it on. I have tried it on OSX, Windows XP and Mandriva Linux, all of them are the same results.

Sound mode used: sb16

Video mode: Software 1280X800

Version of emulator: 0.72

Steps already attempted to solve the problem: I have read everything I can find and I have looked through config files and done everything I can think of. I have a pretty good understanding of networking and I still remember a good amount of DOS commands and usability.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
althage wrote:

Description of problem: I am trying to run IPXNET to start a network and everytime I start the server it says that my IP address is 127.0.0.1.

Really? When I do it, all it says is:

Z:\>ipxnet startserver
IPX Tunneling utility for DosBox
IPX Tunneling Server started.

Maybe DOSBox on a Mac is different.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

From the DOSBox readme:

> On Linux/Unix-based systems port numbers smaller than 1023 can only be
> used with root privileges. Use ports greater than 1023 on those systems.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
althage wrote:

That is weird, because it does the same thing for me on Window and Linux DOSBox, as well as on Mac. I don't know what the deal is.

Screenshot?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 5, by althage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have read all of the readmes about the port numbers and I have been trying ports 5900 and 5960, because I know those are open on my router. I will send a screen shot in when I get home tonight. Thanks.