VOGONS

Willing to pay 100 dollars

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jorian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you can help me getting my dosgame online with fast speed im willing to offer you $100. I spend a lot of time trying to get this working but it just wont work.

Here's the story:

I wanna play jurassic war (1997) online against my brother.

There's a menu called multiplayer, then i can choose
-modem ,dial up
-nullmodem

we use nullmodem

1)First we connect via hamachi

2)
(me) host: serial1=nullmodem txdelay:0
(he) client: serial1=nullmodem server:IPhamachi txdelay:0

if we do this and start dosbox with these serials it works but its very slow online. (if he's the host and im the joiner we cant get in the game together)

When i play against myself (without hamachi) and use 127.0.0.1 as ip and use txdelay:0 it doesnt lagg, the game is fast then and i can play against myself online then with fast speed. (soetimes it says check com port but when i click again or maybe 2 times it works) When i connect to myself with hamachi ip my host keeps waiting for connection on port 23..
My brother doesnt has that problem and can play against himself. (then we use 2 dosbox)

we also tried dosbox mb4

Please can anyone help me ?

Reply 3 of 18, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The problem with this game is its awkward programming: It only sends a character when it receives one. Now, if you have a few milliseconds internet lag, you can calculate how much data transfer is left.

The above is for nullmodem mode; I haven't managed to get modem mode to work yet to see if it behaves better.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 18, by jorian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even if it would work with the netwerk without hamachi (i agree its better without hamachi) it probably wont work, because, hal 9000, you can do it but its still lagg at your pc too isnt it ? Reason why i wanna pay is because im hopeless and desperate and really cant find any solution. Its also a real challenge for the experts here.

How can i do that hal , calculate data transfer?

Reply 6 of 18, by jorian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

The problem with this game is its awkward programming: It only sends a character when it receives one. Now, if you have a few milliseconds internet lag, you can calculate how much data transfer is left.

The above is for nullmodem mode; I haven't managed to get modem mode to work yet to see if it behaves better.

Oh thought i really had to calculate it 🤣, but yeah you're right there isnt much left i guess. Well maybe the internet laggs indeed and then gives the lagg in game i dont know, idont know people who can help me so thats why i ask you guys on dosbox forum to help me 😐 I just cant believe its impossible !

Reply 7 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Solutions:

1: Recode the game. - Requires source code.
2. Make a port of the game - Requires source code.

3. Host the game on a server and have people connect to it (Onlive/Gaikai,etc) - Requires publisher rights, convincing online services to go for it. - Having the game on the same server there would be no lag between DOSBox's.

4. Host the game yourself using RDP/VNC. Have users connect to it. - Having the game on the same servers there would be no lag between DOSBox's.

Problem with 3/4 is they would only work well for games that do not update the screen very often and games that don't required fast keyboard/mouse.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-10-04, 01:02. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 18, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What needs fixing is DOSBox itself.

As I said, I only tried it on LAN, not on internet, so maybe you'll have to invite your brother to play.

It was not as fast as 'fastest' in single player but much better than with nullmodem. There were occasional slowdowns, higher cycles might have helped. It might be possible to make it work even better but I don't intend to spend that much time on the serial port stuff right now.

1+1=10