VOGONS

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if I am getting too slow. But I've read some documents from various sources about getting the virtual modem up and running, i still can't quite get it thoroughly. First, do I need directserial or nullmodem for COM1?
And how to setup a protocol stack? Is it my responsibility to setup the host computer in order for dosbox to connect to the internet? What is ATDT?
Is it a bulit-in command with DOSBox? Do I need a third-party tool?
I managed to use serial1 nullmodem and seeing the correct message coming out of the console, but when I typed serial nullmodem server:127.0.0.1, dosbox responded saying the connection wasn't successful.
Anybody helps me to clear this up... sorry, my network knowledge is limited please bear with me....
Thanks
Jack

Reply 1 of 6, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Jack,
I try to give some examples. Before we can start, you have to set a port that dosbox can use. Consult your modem/router manual for this if you don't know how ^^.
Let's say we want to play DOOM2 over a modem connection. You want to set up your dosbox to act as the "server". So first of all, you need to set the port(for an internet session very important!). To do this, you should edit your config like this:

serial1=modem listenport:12345

or by typing in this on the dosboxshell:

config -set serial serial1=modem listenport:12345

(I think you can type something shorter in dosbox but I'm not sure)

And that's it. Next I will have to know your internet IP. To look what this IP is, go to sites like this one: http://www.wieistmeineip.de . After you told me that address(let's say it is 213.64.32.192) we can run a modem based session by running sersetup.exe from the DOOM2 directory. You (as the server) need to typing the "-answer" parameter. So let's say we want to play on skill 4 with respawn, then your commandline would look like this:

sersetup.exe -com1 -irq 4 -16550 -57600 -answer -skill 4 -respawn
(COM1/COM3 has IRQ4 and COM2/COM4 has IRQ3!!; 16550 is the UART and 57600 is the BAUD.)

And my commandline would show up this:

sersetup.exe -com1 -irq 4 -16550 -57600 -dial 213.64.32.192:12345 -skill 4 -respawn

The one who's dialing has to add the portnumber the server uses to servers' IP with a ":" between.

If you want to use the nullmodem connectivity, one site acts like the server and the other as the client. So you are the server and I'm the client.

In your config you have to set one [serial] like that:

serial2=nullmodem port:12345

And the same line in my configfile would look like this:

serial2=nullmodem server:213.64.32.192 port:5000

This method will connect our dosboxes. Now we will use "dm.exe" from the DOOM2 directory to connect... so we started dm and after we done the gamesettings, we just say "already connected" in the modem/nullmodem part.

That's it. I hope this will help you. If not, send me a mail at Punker_1992@live.de and I will write you a little textfile 😉

Reply 3 of 6, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks both of you for the nicest responses.
I wonder if I just want to use dosbox to go online, such as using
Netscape 3.0 to view vogons. What are the general steps to achieve this?
Thanks once again
Jack

Reply 5 of 6, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have managed to put everything in order.
with NE2000 setup okay.
But I can't seem to be able to use win3.1/netscape to go online
I downloaded the novell drivers,
then to type

lsl
ne2000
ipxodi
winpkt 0x60

But winsock said there wasn't any packet driver at 0x60
Beforehand, I tried to use another ne2000 file to connect.
It went fine except it couldn't find a DNS server. Thats the major concern here. Is twinsock/winsock able to be run under dosbox?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you need to run windows from a booted image, AFAIR

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper