VOGONS

First post, by bigbangnet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem: I will go straight to the fact. When I run dos games using dosbox the game starts to slow down...in some cases it stops. My pc is not freezing or hangsup. I need to "terminate" dosbox in order to regain control of dosbox 🤣.

The only exception to this is if I play doom 2 multiplayer. Also to note, if I play all those games in single player then ALL the games runs fine. This is the weird part.

Facts and info: I got an AMD quad core cpu with 4g of ram. I got a 1 terabyte HD with an audigy sound card. My bomb can run the latest games. So I don't think the hardware is not the problem. On the dosbox side, I can run redneck rampage and it's not stuttering, freezing, lagging ... no problem at all. I'm also using Windows 7 and my victim (test dummy, fresh meat, victim) has windows xp. We both got IPX installed... yup, my Windows 7 64bit got it too. and were using dosbox 0.74.

I started the ipx server on my side and he connected to me using my public IP address. Oddly enough, hamachi ip didn't work ???

When I play doom 2 with him on ipx then the game runs... a bit slow like the network bandwith was not enough but it's running. We tried Rise of the triad and that's where the game stopped working. The only image I could give you is if you tried to run doom 2 with 100 cycles in dosbox.conf...vveeeeerrrrryy slow.

What's going on ? Did I miss something ?

P.s: heres my dosbox.conf code...if that helps:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=300
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=31

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

[gus]

gus=false
Show last 41 lines
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=modem
serial4=directserial

[dos]

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
ipx=true

[autoexec]
mount c g:\dosgame
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
c:
ipxnet startserver

Reply 2 of 3, by bigbangnet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thats true but I remember once, with dosbox, that I played rott and other dos games inside dosbox using ipx over the internet and it played great. But it was an older version of dosbox and the way I connected using ipx was very different from what I did right now. This means I didn't have to type commands to activate the ipx...only the one in dosbox.conf and that's all. I just had to make sure my pc had ipx enabled on my windows and that's all.

I wonder if its this version that is slowing it down. I know the Internet is not a lan but still, 3mb should be sufficient to run rott without lagging 🤣. I'm not that of an expert in network but I'm pretty sure it is.

Reply 3 of 3, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it's not. The problem is not the bandwidth per se, but the latency. DOS games never were intended to be played over high latency lines like the internet.