VOGONS

First post, by Redeagle-GER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

I'm trying to connect with a friend via dosbox over the internet.
As far is i read, dosbox tunnels the ipx, so it "should" be easy.

Both set ipx=true in the config
One startet the server, the other one wanted to join. but everey time, the connection fails / times out.

We tried vise versa
- ipxnet connect a.b.c.d (a.b.c.d of course being the correct ip-adress of the server-pc)
- ipxnet connect a.b.c.d 20000 port forwarded
- and tried to replace a.b.c.d with fixed.adress.org

Did we miss anything?
Or do we need a vpn-tunnel to get it worked although the "tunneld-ipx" seems to make this obsolete?

I am running vista-prof 64bit and he is running XP, both dosbox 0.74.

Reply 1 of 6, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Who ever is acting as the server needs to port forward the appropriate UDP port to their computer if they have a firewall. If the default port is being used it is 213. Otherwise it is what ever you specified in your ipxnet commands.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.

Reply 2 of 6, by Redeagle-GER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ports were forwarded. Either 213 or the one that was selected by us like 19000.

Well.... we established an open-vpn connection and THEN i was able to join in dosbox via the lan-ip of the vpn-connection.

let's check the perfomance!
Afterwards i may have needs to investigate why it did not work directly via the internet-ip

Reply 3 of 6, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you guys in the same country? It may sound like an odd question, but I was trying to connect with a guy in Germany a few years back and we could not get a game to connect for anything, but he could connect to a dedicated server in the USA, but in a different state than I live in. Routers between you and him could be dropping the UDP packets somewhere...it's difficult to resolve though.

We could never resolve the issue. The interesting part was we could connect to each other over TCP just fine.

Classic Gaming Arena

Reply 4 of 6, by Redeagle-GER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We are in the same country (Germany).

It was quite funny:
First we tried the dyndns-adress again, no success.
Afterwards the vpn-ip, no success.
Again the vpn ip with added port, but 213 (which should be default) and BAM - success. I ws like "connection successfull? wtf?!? why" 😁

The performance was OK, only a few lags. As i never played Fragile Allegiance on LAN in DOS-days I don't know if this is normal or not.
And this maybe would have even been the case if the connection has been established without the vpn.

Now playing a game in an simulated OS with a simulated IPX-network over a simulated LAN on a real PC...amazing =)
I'm just curious whether we can ever manage to connect without the vpn-tunnel.

Reply 5 of 6, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try using my site. http://www.classicgamingarena.com

I'm sure what the latency would be like using a dedicated server here, but if anything, maybe you can find someone to setup a dedicated server there.

Classic Gaming Arena

Reply 6 of 6, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh hey, I just checked and some recently setup 2 dedicated servers in Germany through the CGA website.

Classic Gaming Arena