VOGONS

First post, by FreeFall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some trouble with Falcon 3.0 multiplayer within DOSBox 0.74. I am able to successfully connect my two systems, either via IPX or simulated Direct Serial. I am also able to successfully get through the briefing and mission configuration screens after connecting. But, whenever the simulator loads (i.e. after pressing Takeoff) I get a internal Falcon 3.0 fatal error that states insufficient memory.

It's been so long since I've used DOS that I'm at a loss. I've maximized the memsize setting in DOSBox to 63, and EMS / XMS are both set to true. Is there anyone more familiar with these types of issues with DOSBox or with Falcon 3.0 specifically who can help point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance! And kudos to DOSBox. Amazing program.

Reply 1 of 7, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm...well, I set it up and it worked just fine for me...so, the first thing. Are you just using the stock DOSBox downloaded from this site? If so its max memory setting is 32mb. Raising it won't make any difference. Second, try patching the game. I had similar issues with Descent 2 which I installed from CD, but once I patched it to its last version it was perfectly fine.

Also, if you are not using the stock DOSBox, try using it instead.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.

Reply 2 of 7, by FreeFall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, nevermind, I got it working. Something was screwy or corrupt with the squadrons. I just deactivated them all and created two new ones on each system and it worked great. I also turned Object and Altitude Data off on both machines. Maybe that made the difference. But it's working like a champ now. Pretty awesome.

Reply 3 of 7, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very awesome. Glad you got it working.

Question, do you have any idea what the max number of players is over the network? I need to get it support on my site, but I need to to know that and I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Classic Gaming Arena

Reply 4 of 7, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally found the answer in a manual converted to PDF. It's 6 max players over the network.

Classic Gaming Arena

Reply 6 of 7, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem. If you get a chance stop by the Classic Gaming Arena and bring some friends. The URL is in my signature.

Classic Gaming Arena