VOGONS

First post, by unterwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case anybody except me wants to connect an unpatched DOSBox to old PCs using the IPX protocol, here is a small program for Linux [1] that allows you to do this. I wrote it for myself and did only very basic testing covering my personal needs, but hopefully it will work for somebody else.

[1] https://github.com/unterwulf/ipxbox

Reply 1 of 2, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So i can Connect a DOSBOX where Carmageddon runs, with a PC where Carmageddon runs on real DOS?

Is there a Windows Version too?

Or can I use another PC as a Router between the Dosbox and the Real PC?

Reply 2 of 2, by unterwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:

So i can Connect a DOSBOX where Carmageddon runs, with a PC where Carmageddon runs on real DOS?

Yes, that is the main idea. But I can't say it for sure about Carmageddon, so far I only tested it with Duke Nukem 3D.

Sammy wrote:

Is there a Windows Version too?

No. I am not familiar with Windows network API and I am not using Windows anyway, so there will be no Windows version from me for sure.

Sammy wrote:

Or can I use another PC as a Router between the Dosbox and the Real PC?

Since ipxbox can serve only one UDP client it is not really useful as a remote service so it is the reason why it binds its UDP socket to a loopback address 127.0.0.1. This means that you can't use it as a router. But if you really want you just need to change one line in the code (0x7F000001 => INADDR_ANY) and you (as well as any bad guy in your network ;-) should be able to use a Linux host connected to a L2 IPX network that runs ipxbox as a router for a DOSBox that runs on a Windows host.