VOGONS

First post, by DerStupid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,
sorry if this is answered here somewhere, I searched to the best of my abilities.

In the game Oxyd, there is a 2-player mode, but there's not much of a reason why it couldn't be played by one player controlling both PCs, or DOSBox instances. It seems to be possible to play with two PCs over TCP/IP, but I couldn't get it to work (and I have no idea if it's possible) with two instances on one PC.

Here's the best post about connecting for this game that I found:

I recently managed to get Oxyd v3.9 to work over a TCP/IP network so I could play with my brother. All you need is two PCs with DosBox (I used version 0.73 on both) and both has to have the same Oxyd version inside otherwise it will keep desynchronize. It took me a hour to figure out that Oxyd thinks that the mouse is connected to Com1 (while it's not true) and therefore it wants to link the PCs on Com2 so you have to configure DosBox accordingly. Open the configuration file and ensure that the CPU part of the config file is the same on both PCs otherwise the game will desync. Now scroll down to the Serial part and leave serial1=dummy so Oxyd can use it as mouse and use serial2 to connect the PCs. Choose a PC as the server and the second will be the client (this doesn't have influence on the game, it's just the background network so any PC can be the server) and have the serial2 line look like this: serial2=nullmodem
On the client PC set it to serial2=nullmodem server:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address of the server PC).
Now start DosBox on the server PC and once it's up start on the client (this order is important in order to establish the link correctly). A line in the console should state that the link between the PCs is established. If there is an error then try again, you might entered a wrong IP. If you play over the Internet the server must be reachable. If the link is established start Oxyd and press F7 in the main menu on both PCs. From now on anything you type on the keyboard is transfered to the other PC and appears at the bottom of the screen on both PCs, this means that the games are linked. A player (but ONLY ONE) now can press F2 to start the linked game. The player who pressed it will control the black marble, the other will control the white.

Reply 1 of 1, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yes it's possible, but quite advanced. This is what I did to quickly test it out.

• Edit the DOSBox config, and configure serial2 as nullmodem
  • Start up DOSBox
  • Start up the game and start the link
  • Edit the DOSBox config, and configure serial 2 as nullmodem server:127.0.0.1
  • Start up DOSBox
  • Start up the game and start the link

The proper way is to have multiple dosbox.conf files.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts