VOGONS

Athlon Problems

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you go passive, keep in mind that the motherboard relies somewhat on CPU cooler airflow too. The VRMs are the main concern. Tower CPU heatsinks can be trouble here too. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo that I overclocked a Q6600 on and didn't think about how the my tower heatsink had removed VRM airflow and the board is actually blackened around the FETs. Still works fine tho! 😀. But that board is also based around a fairly hardy VRM design, unlike typical old Athlon stuff.

Reply 41 of 46, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

SI-97 is a good heatsink; I've seen them on graphics cards before, but never a Slot 1... 😲

Here is something I whipped up for quiet cooling and to workaround DIMM clearance problems. It is a Thermalright HR05 SLI chipset cooler. The 80mm was on only 5v and so essentially silent.

f65fda305597416.jpg 4305d3305597466.jpg 91cbc2305597641.jpg 6863be305597677.jpg 558f7e305597732.jpg

Reply 42 of 46, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

If you go passive, keep in mind that the motherboard relies somewhat on CPU cooler airflow too. The VRMs are the main concern. Tower CPU heatsinks can be trouble here too. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo that I overclocked a Q6600 on and didn't think about how the my tower heatsink had removed VRM airflow and the board is actually blackened around the FETs ...

^ Wise words. IMHO passive cooling is just a missinformed crime on electronic components.

Archetypical example: $1200 50-pound behemoth of case just to cook the VRMs @ 133 ºC. s016.gif

We don't want nor need passive cooling (which is no cooling at all). What we want is strong case ventilation, and this can be achieved with an adequate number of relatively large fans (120mm+) rotating at reduced speeds = tons of air & little or no noise.

The trick to cool VRMs around tower heatsinks is to fit them with tall VRM heatsinks:

i905107_P4P800HeatsinksDIYB003.png

The tips project into the air stream between CPU heatsink fan and rear fan, catching the breeze and keeping VRM temps at bay.

Other handy tricks to tame particularly hot headed VRMs are mobo backside Cu/Al plates and back panel fans:

ASUS_P6X58D-Premium_Motherboard_PCB-Back.jpg CoolermasterCM-690ATXCaseReview-jmke-19007.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 43 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

If you go passive, keep in mind that the motherboard relies somewhat on CPU cooler airflow too. The VRMs are the main concern. Tower CPU heatsinks can be trouble here too. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo that I overclocked a Q6600 on and didn't think about how the my tower heatsink had removed VRM airflow and the board is actually blackened around the FETs. Still works fine tho! 😀. But that board is also based around a fairly hardy VRM design, unlike typical old Athlon stuff.

+1 to this. Downdraft coolers do have an advantage there, otherwise you have to provide some sort of cooling for the FETs. I've seen some newer boards actually include heatsinks for this very purpose, which is nice. 😀

TELVM: It's inaccurate to describe fanless/passive cooling as "no cooling" - even in an extreme example like the TNN-500, things *are* being cooled, and the case was designed to carry a single fan to provide airflow - I believe in that review it was disconnected or not installed 🤣. (You can even see the punch-out for it in pictures). The reviewer does note that adding a 60mm fan to the equation brought the VRMs down to around 70 *C (half of their rated maximum, and only 10* C over the idle temperatures in the same burn test); but stated that for their test they were specifically ignoring the suggestion to install the airflow fan in the case - they also stated that they picked hardware that's right at (or beyond) the manufacturer's suggested limits for the case's cooling. You're also specifically cherry-picking the worst possible scenario (a CPU burn test) to draw attention to. The other tests do not approach 130* C; the next worst value is around 114 *C (again, with no fans installed), which is below the 150* C maximum for those transistors. With heatsinks on the VRMs and the airflow fan installed (and the punch-out looks more like a 92mm or 120mm space, not a 60mm space) there probably would've been no problems (based on the limited data available), and selecting more appropriate hardware for a passive system probably would've helped things even further.

Also it's worth pointing out that a heat spreader (what you show in your second picture) is not the same as a heat sink. The heat spreader is designed to provide (or attempt to provide) uniform temperatures across a given area (like over a CPU die, like a Pentium 4 has) to improve connection to a sink; a heat sink is what provides the cooling (it removes the heat away from the device and allows it to dissipate into the air); adding fans increases airflow and thereby increases how much heat is able to be dissipated. If the heatsink can dissipate a large enough quantity of heat relative to the device it's asked to cool, it does not need a fan (a la TNN500, or the more modern NoFan systems); for most modern systems this isn't practical due to the heat load they generate. But for a number of low power set-ups it can work quite well (if I remember right the TNN500AF was released around the time Socket 479 desktop boards started coming onto the market; a Pentium M would have absolutely no problems in that case, especially if it were pared up with a relatively efficient graphics adapter), and produce a very quiet computer.

I do agree with you that the TNN-500 was hilariously expensive - it probably costs more than most of the components installed within for that review, and personally if I were spending ~$3000 on a tower, I'd want it to be more performance oriented, but more modern silent or near-silent solutions are much more economical.

Reply 44 of 46, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

... even in an extreme example like the TNN-500, things *are* being cooled, and the case was designed to carry a single fan to provide airflow - I believe in that review it was disconnected or not installed 🤣. ... ... The reviewer does note that adding a 60mm fan to the equation brought the VRMs down to around 70 *C ...

^ So much for "passiveness" if the $1200 50-pound behemoth still needs fans to cool half-decently 😵 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 45 of 46, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to passive cooling one has to earn it for it to work right and costly, people who usually do it have no real experience dealing with with these sort of issues let alone hunt them down before they become a serous problem. I feel around on boards when under full load to search out hot spots and usually there are not many except for the vrm phases for the cpu. Cheap boards have next to no cooling in high load areas and even the phases for the chipsets on older boards get every bit as hot as those for the cpu. For boards that have the space I like to craft my own coolers but for very tight spaces I go for forged copper mosfet coolers.

For home brew coolers I use the bolt down method when there is the holes available, artic silver 5 for non permanent bonds for the rest as it dries out fairly quickly.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 46 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

... even in an extreme example like the TNN-500, things *are* being cooled, and the case was designed to carry a single fan to provide airflow - I believe in that review it was disconnected or not installed 🤣. ... ... The reviewer does note that adding a 60mm fan to the equation brought the VRMs down to around 70 *C ...

^ So much for "passiveness" if the $1200 50-pound behemoth still needs fans to cool half-decently 😵 .

Yeah it wasn't priced reasonably, I'm not arguing that. It handles itself pretty well based on the Xbit tests (from what the burn test you cited says, it actually ran like that for an hour with no issues; nothing died), especially if you remember it was designed for lower power hardware (not a Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott). It's a very extreme example - both the test you cited, and the case/system itself.

Modern silent or near-silent machines tend not to require thousand-plus dollar enclosures, for example look at NoFan, or the later Zalman Reserator series (which used liquid cooling to achieve quiet operation).

nforce4max: I agree - passive/silent cooling isn't as straight forward as "hook up the in-the-box heatsink and you're done" - it's a lot of tweaking and customization to get the overall effect.