VOGONS

First post, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few Voodoo 3's sitting around and a Voodoo 5 5500. The Voodoo 3's technically don't really need a cooling fan, but I have noticed in faster computers (i.e. a P3 1GHz machine) they run much hotter than they typically do. And it seems those cards like a faster CPU, just like all other Voodoo's I've played around with. So, I'm curious to what kind of fan I could finagle to fit on them.

My Voodoo 5 5500 the fan bearings get loud sometimes. Every year I put some new bearing grease in there and it keeps them going again, but I would like to just completely replace the fans and be done with having to crack the case open every year. It looks like maybe a 486 or socket 7 could work on them, but I can't say exactly for sure.

Does anyone out there know what fans I could fit on these two cards with minimal effort?

Also, for those interested... I work in the automotive industry and we get this awesome grease: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wurth-HHS-2000-HHS-K- … a28ddec&vxp=mtr. It sprays on like a liquid but solidifies into sort of like a white lithium grease. I say kind of because that's not exactly what it is, but you can even lube motorcycle chains with this stuff and it really works great for noisey fans in my PC. You just pop the plunger off and spritz just a little bit. Don't go crazy with it!. I just hit a little tiny spray turn the fan a bit by hand and do one more little spray and I'm done. I've also had good results using super high temp red ball bearing grease that's more meant for heavy duty truck stuff, but it does hold up very well with computer fans. The red grease you can pretty much buy at any automotive supply store for under $10.

Reply 1 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone taken an infrared thermometer and gotten numbers on the Voodoo3? They always run finger-burning hot. Even in a 486! I want to see quantitative evidence that a P3 1GHz makes them hotter.

And anyway there have been numerous threads about putting fans on these cards. Some pretty recent. Just search.

Reply 2 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, will do a search. To be fair I've never hooked up a temperature probe to those Voodoo 3's but they do get better framerate as the CPU speed increases and they felt rather hot to the touch.

Reply 3 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a quick search of 3dfx voodoo fans and found some information regarding that you CAN put a fan on it, but haven't seen any recommendations (i.e. something I could easily find on ebay, amazon, newegg, etc.)

Reply 5 of 9, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll save you the trouble of searching it out, but first check this out:

Voodoo 5 5500 Cooling Mod

As you can see from that page, the Vantec CCB-A1A and CCB-A1C will fit the Voodoo 5 5500 without any permanent modifications. There are also cheap Chinese coolers on eBay that will also fit without any permanent modifications.

The VOGONS threads you probably want to read are:

Oops, I think I killed my Voodoo3

[Build Log] ABIT KT7A-RAID Based System

Hypothetical Pentium III Build

Voodoo3 Cooling

AGP Voodoo 5500 replacement fans

Reply 6 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the links. The last link looks to have exactly what I'm needing for the V5. I really don't want to pry on that card and potentially ruin it now that they're going for crazy prices on the internet.

Reply 7 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maraakate wrote:

Thanks for the links. The last link looks to have exactly what I'm needing for the V5. I really don't want to pry on that card and potentially ruin it now that they're going for crazy prices on the internet.

Twisting should be safer than prying, but I don't know if twisting is enough to get the heatsink loose. Prying concentrates strain on a small number of solder pads, twisting distributes the stress between them.

Personally I'd use a heatsink that allows a standard, easily replaceable fan to be installed, and put in some reputable fan like a Nidec, NMB, Delta, Panaflo etc.

Reply 9 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering how expensive the cards are in recent times and I only have one and can not afford to spend $100 on another one right now I won't be taking my chances trying to epoxy. I guess I'll just have to measure the dimensions of the current fan and order one of the ones linked in this thread AGP Voodoo 5500 replacement fans