Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4600 of 53282, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

This is the 386 system I got as part of the lot I just purchased...It has a 386DX20 cpu and it came with a sb pro 2.0 and a creative labs sb scsi connector board as well. I really like the case but I wish it had an lcd readout...I only have a couple old at cases with the lcd for turbo and one of them is in bad shape...oh well...at least it has a turbo button. I might post a separate topic for this system once I upgrade and clean it up.

rps20140813_111132.jpg

Yes, I like that case... is there not a frequency counter display top left, or does it just not function? If this is the case you could possibly buy a NOS display (i've seen them about) and fit it yourself. That case with a functioning display would be the balls!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4601 of 53282, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:
Artex wrote:

I just picked up a very similar AT case and found the same.. 🙁 I'll take a picture tonight and upload it here. Getting tougher to find these AT cases in general, but even tougher to find them with these LCD displays.

That would be great...always love to see pics of other AT cases like this.

It's the top one.. among my expanding variety of AT cases. The one on the bottom (in the middle) is the only one with the LCD display.

ONxW7j.jpg
o4EXY3.jpg
bce115.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4602 of 53282, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

If this is the case you could possibly buy a NOS display (i've seen them about) and fit it yourself. That case with a functioning display would be the balls!

Where?!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4603 of 53282, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
dacow wrote:

I agree with dirkmirk, thats an insane price for a boxed video card of any sort!

Insane yes.. though they are out there, for just $0.96 cents more ($5.95)... I picked up this boxed ISA 2MB STB Nitro 64: -

STB Nitro 64 2MB boxed w/ drivers & manuals

Can you upload these driver disks to vogonsdrivers.com ?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4604 of 53282, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

If this is the case you could possibly buy a NOS display (i've seen them about) and fit it yourself. That case with a functioning display would be the balls!

Where?!

Yes I would love to know too!

@ Artex. ..those are some very nice AT cases you have!

I just looked at my 386 I have and realized that there is a factory 'cut out' or void if you will for where the lcd readout should be...I guess it was an option for the case. I would just have to carefully cut the outer plastic cover (not the thicker harder plastic inside) with an xacto blade if I ever do find one to fit in there....I have some plans for this 386 I just got after all...The all metal construction makes me like it even more...it is a very solid case...totally worth putting in the effort to get an lcd on there.

Reply 4605 of 53282, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

arrived today
100_7844_zps2cac3c86.jpg

and got this last week for my Win98 PC
100_7827_zpsf4d328f1.jpg

Reply 4606 of 53282, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
Yes I would love to know too! […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

Where?!

Yes I would love to know too!

@ Artex. ..those are some very nice AT cases you have!

I just looked at my 386 I have and realized that there is a factory 'cut out' or void if you will for where the lcd readout should be...I guess it was an option for the case. I would just have to carefully cut the outer plastic cover (not the thicker harder plastic inside) with an xacto blade if I ever do find one to fit in there....I have some plans for this 386 I just got after all...The all metal construction makes me like it even more...it is a very solid case...totally worth putting in the effort to get an lcd on there.

I've come across them NOS on ebay many times before... you just have to look.

I know this thread is not for advertising but for an example... after a quick search I found a guy selling two in Australia...

2 X SEVEN SEGMENT LED FRONT DISPLAY BOARD BIN $14.99, Oz

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 4607 of 53282, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
386_junkie wrote:
dacow wrote:

I agree with dirkmirk, thats an insane price for a boxed video card of any sort!

Insane yes.. though they are out there, for just $0.96 cents more ($5.95)... I picked up this boxed ISA 2MB STB Nitro 64: -

STB Nitro 64 2MB boxed w/ drivers & manuals

Can you upload these driver disks to vogonsdrivers.com ?

When they arrive, sure... no problem.

Reply 4608 of 53282, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

soviet conscript: that 5950 looks great!

Reply 4610 of 53282, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-STB Nitro 3D/GX EDO 4MB PCI $4
nitro3d.jpg
-Creative CT6710 Nvidia TNT 16MB PCI $7
TNTpci.jpg
-3dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI (SDRAM) $10
Voodoo3.jpg

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2014-08-14, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4611 of 53282, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Ensoniq SoundScape, current bid is $20, USA.
Roland MPU-IPC-T, £130 BIN, Greece.

wrong thread? 😜 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4612 of 53282, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently tried an AWE64 Value that I've had sitting around forever and quite liked it, so I bought a SimmConn (http://simmconn.tripod.com/) to up the onboard memory from 512kb to 28MB. Works like a charm:

DSCN0755_zpsd9b6ed6e.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4613 of 53282, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad you purchased it as I was a little concerned about buying from that website due to me sending them an email and them never replying. Been thinking about it for ages!

Will most likely purchase one for my Awe64 Gold.

Reply 4614 of 53282, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be a stupid question, is their any reduced functionality of the ram upgradable AWE32/64's compared to the Gold card? If you upgrade the ram and load your own soundfont it must be an advantage over the 64 if anything? Trying to work out whether its worth spending $50 on a gold or wait for a cheaper AWE32/SB32/AWE64 card and upgrade the ram(Need to get a card with the right dsp for full MPU-401 compatibility).

Reply 4616 of 53282, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

My signature has a link. I am interested into how will it perform.

Run Note on SB Pro1 without problem. Works on mono only, can't find, is it possible to somehow use both OPL for stereo.
(Stereo FM works in PX midi player, for example)

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 4617 of 53282, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

Might be a stupid question, is their any reduced functionality of the ram upgradable AWE32/64's compared to the Gold card? If you upgrade the ram and load your own soundfont it must be an advantage over the 64 if anything? Trying to work out whether its worth spending $50 on a gold or wait for a cheaper AWE32/SB32/AWE64 card and upgrade the ram(Need to get a card with the right dsp for full MPU-401 compatibility).

My understanding is that the gold, which has 4MBs onboard, allows you to have 32MB in total with the SimmConn connector (which can only utilise 28MB of a 32MB simm + the 4MB of onboard). But with the value, the 512KB onboard RAM is disabled, so you can only use a maximum of 28MB. I might just be pulling that out of my ass, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Not an issue for me though, 28MB's seems like enough. Personally I'm not fussed about quieter circuitry and I'd prefer a regular 3.5 jack over RCA, so I consider spending 50 bucks on a gold a waste of money when you can get a value for 5 bucks.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4618 of 53282, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its amazing value for money to think you can get full MPU-401 & soundblaster compatibility for next to nothing, only downside is lack of true OPL3(if your into that) but its no big deal, trying to determine whether to keep my Roland MPU-IPC-T for a 386DX40 system to drive an MT-32, IF I can find a soundcard that will do MPU-401/genuine OPL3 & obviously good soundblaster compatibility I see no reason to keep such an expensive piece of history.

Reply 4619 of 53282, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT3670
These are very quiet, little to no line noise. Last of the SB32's.
If you don't want an Awe64, and have simms. Far easier to acquire this card then the connector.
No Opl3 Just CQM and you have to solder wires to the S/PDIF out pads, if you need it. Also like the Awe64 value, it passes beeper speaker output @ bios beeps at boot. On alot of boards I've plugged it into.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:35. Edited 1 time in total.