VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am running Win98SE on a P3-700 with a Geforce FX 5500. The videocard has a TV Out port that looks like an S-Video port but has more connectors. I may have a dongle from another Nvidia card that will fit it but haven't been able to find it. I was just wondering if it is worth the search. I'm curious what the output (still S-Video, I assume) would look like on my Sony PVM.

Would I be able to output to TV in Windows only or in DOS too?

Is it even worth it? I realize that people may have wanted this option in the past when displays were not much larger than 19", but my PVM is only 13". I don't have a CRT monitor, so I was interested in the CRT "look," especially for DOS games in 640x480.

Reply 2 of 19, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work! I never tried DOS on a TV-Out (cool idea), but I played a lot of need for speed underground on my TV 😀
I think one time I played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (win98-dos4gw) on the tv but that was many gpu generations ago ^^

Reply 3 of 19, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Is it even worth it?

It can depend on the game. I've still got my 14" 1080 in the Playstation corner. Some games are small-screen friendly, like the first Katamari Damacy and WipeoutXL, and they remain a hoot. Other games, you notice it's small; it's in the way.

But regardless... you've got a Sony PVM? What a nice score. How can you not want to hitch that up. Yeah, try different games -- you may find a 'sweet spot' like I did.

Reply 4 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

Would I be able to output to TV in Windows only or in DOS too?

On some video cards it depends whether you have the VGA plugged in or not while the TV out is plugged in. I was able to capture my computer's boot sequence this way 😀

TV-out DOS games is hit or miss due to the 70hz common refresh rate of 320x200/640x400. You'll either get a garbled image, or a very 16:10 image with dropped frames.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-05-24, 01:24. Edited 3 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I started putting videos on YouTube (old, different channel), I used S-Video capturing 😀

Nvidia cards were awesome, as they would output everything. BIOS screen, DOS, Windows, it didn't matter. It worked quite well. Low resolution DOS games looked ok, Windows on the other hand was a bit of a pain. At 640 x 480 it was ok, but higher resolutions and you would struggle reading the text.

But it works quite well. Now to get composite, I believe you will need an adapter or use a VGA to S-Video / Composite converter box.

The S-Video directly form the card was the best quality. The converter box would slightly degrade the quality.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 19, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tip, tgod. No dongle needed.

If any of you are considering this, I can say that the result is definitely worth it. Here are screenshots of Descent, Blood, and Duke 3D. Blood and Duke are running at 640x480 (VGA), and Descent is 320x240 (I think).

The only issue is that the sync is not always right, which results in very muted colors. However, a reboot and a fresh load usually fixes things. Very happy with the results. Scanline goodness!

photo%205.jpg
photo%206.jpg
photo%207.jpg

Reply 8 of 19, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I lucked out about a year ago when I saw a Craigslist ad. I drove about 200 miles roundtrip to get it (for $50). The seller actually had a 20" model as well, but it was malfunctioning. This one has a better tube : the HR Trinitron. It has 600 lines of resolution, but I'm not exactly sure what that means for a CRT (vs a LCD).

I've been having fun looking at older pre-VGA games on it. Older DOS games look fantastic wih scanlines.

Reply 9 of 19, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what model is that? I have a PVM-14L5 and except for the 14 inch being a little on the small side I love it. does NTSC/PAL and even 480P. actually I think it may even do 720P/1080i. S-video, composite, component and RGB. are you outputting to it in S-video?

Reply 10 of 19, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is the 1354Q. I am outputting to it via S-Video. Do you know what cables/adapters are necessary to output using the VGA port?

It looks quite good with S-Video. The FX5500 can output from VGA and S-Video simultaneously, so I am looking at the same Duke Nukem 3D demo on the PVM and a 22" Samsung HDTV. The PVM looks MUCH better to me (I like CRT scanlines). It is 800x600, too, which is more than I thought the PVM capable of.

CORRECTION: Pretty sure Duke is still at 640x480 (or lower). I change the resolution in the CFG file, but there is no difference on the screen when I load a saved game.

Last edited by boxpressed on 2015-05-24, 20:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 19, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe something like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_ … d=8668&format=2 to change the VGA signal to component which will work on the PVM. I'm guessing there is VGA to RGB converters out there as well but I think the image quality diffrence between RGB and component would be rather small.

Reply 12 of 19, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I may investigate such a device in the future. I already have a DVDO iScan HD (upscaler) and an SLG 3000 (scanline generator) because I never thought I'd get my hands on a PVM. Now I don't really need them, and there's no comparison anyway.

Reply 13 of 19, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only tried this once.

See, I have a Presario 3000 laptop. For some crazy reason it has a composite out. Luckily I was able to find drivers. I maxed out the RAM to 1 gig (because it shares video ram with regular ram) and installed a fresh XP on it. Then I naturally got curious if installing emulators and games onto it then playing them on a CRT would look better than those silly filters.

It worked but it still felt wrong for some reason, as for typing, forget it looked like crap, no way I'm doing work, web browsing, or email on that.

Reply 14 of 19, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Years ago I had Canopus V2s in SLI, and played Unreal on my family 68cm TV. Also played TOCA Touring Cars on the TV using a Diamond vid card and a steering wheel, used to wish for a proper racing seat to go with it. But back in that era desktop work on a TV was a no-go. These days I have my main desktop plugged in to the TV via HDMI and it's much better at 1080p, but age has caught up with me and I need glasses to see the screen properly across the living room!

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2015-05-25, 05:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

The FX5500 can output from VGA and S-Video simultaneously

Yes it's very useful. The FX range is also one of the few cards that clone VGA and DVI when in DOS. Saves you from having to use a splitter.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 19, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your setup will be great for emulation as well. MAME, Kega, ZSNES etc will look amazing with the scanlines, real retro feel! 😀

Reply 18 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought most of them had that capability. I seem to recall my ancient ATI All-in-Wonder Pro could do that.

(Be careful with those AIW cards; some of them require very specific cables.)