VOGONS

NIB still sealed collections

Topic actions

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this has been briefly touched on in the past in various Vogons threads here and there, and I know everyone’s take on it can be different depending on people’s aims/objectives and how practical they are.

Though going through my collection I realised I did not have very much by way of NIB / NOS… still sealed. Sure I have bought many items still sealed with the sole purpose of destroying the shrink to get to, and use the goods inside… but I can boast of only 3 items which I have bought through the course which fits the category and has managed to survive / remain that way.

The 3 are: -

1) VLB Trio 64
b53ef1461128459.jpg

2) PCI Matrox Millennium G200
104328461128453.jpg

3) Cyrix 387DX-40
5f5f11461128450.jpg

Not as exciting as some other folks still sealed items within their collections I’m sure but I guess that’s the reason for the thread… to wet the curiosity of what other vintage hardware is out there that has never seen the sunlight of day, and possibly may never in a state of preservation.

Pictures welcome of course.

P.S. Artex, you’re of course not banned from posting on this particular thread… just don’t go mental. 🤣

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll go check if I actually still have something that's still shrink-wrapped, might take a while to find it, hold on 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just as I thought, I got barely anything shrink-wrapped, but it includes these items:
-Cyrix fastmath 33MHz
-AMD K6-2/500
-Windows XP Pro (no code)
-Windows 2000 (no code)
-Windows Server 2003 R2..something, several disks with different software on them, but only some disks and not all of them were sealed (need to take a closer look at what I got exactly). Some disks might actually be missing.

Apparently I had 2 sealed K6-2/500s and I decided to open up 1 of them. I took a look inside and packed everything up again.

Don't think I have anything more that's still sealed, I do have a few other items that are still boxed though, but only a couple and possibly not even complete.

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have one item sealed. It's a voodoo3 agp. I wanted the box so i bought it, i don't really care much about it beeing sealed but i leave it this way because i have spares. If i run out of v3 agp's i will open it up no problem.
I only paid a small premium compared to a ''normal'' boxed one. The problem i have with it is this: what if you pay a big premium for a sealed item and one day you do want to use it and it is dead?

The one voodoo i paid a premium for is a voodoo5 5500 pci mac edition with box. If it was sealed it would have cost more than double and it would be pretty sad to find out later that there was a dead card in the box.
Now i could simply test it without damaging the value and use it because that's what i have these cards for. The 2 maxi gamer cards on the right i also bought sealed, back then it was my first sli set and i opened them up straight away and they are in a system ever since. i liked the fact that they were nos and complete with box and cables, but also for these there was only a very small premium and i still had them cheap.

I have 9 systems with voodoo's as i really like them in my retro boxes, so i also have gathered a lot of spares (and it was fun finding them). 🤣

The last few cards on the lower right are ''other'' pci cards.

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0296.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
I only have one item sealed. It's a voodoo3 agp. I wanted the box so i bought it, i don't really care much about it beeing seale […]
Show full quote

I only have one item sealed. It's a voodoo3 agp. I wanted the box so i bought it, i don't really care much about it beeing sealed but i leave it this way because i have spares. If i run out of v3 agp's i will open it up no problem.
I only paid a small premium compared to a ''normal'' boxed one. The problem i have with it is this: what if you pay a big premium for a sealed item and one day you do want to use it and it is dead?

The one voodoo i paid a premium for is a voodoo5 5500 pci mac edition with box. If it was sealed it would have cost more than double and it would be pretty sad to find out later that there was a dead card in the box.
Now i could simply test it without damaging the value and use it because that's what i have these cards for. The 2 maxi gamer cards on the right i also bought sealed, back then it was my first sli set and i opened them up straight away and they are in a system ever since. i liked the fact that they were nos and complete with box and cables, but also for these there was only a very small premium and i still had them cheap.

I have 9 systems with voodoo's as i really like them in my retro boxes, so i also have gathered a lot of spares (and it was fun finding them). 🤣

I spotted a V3 with SGRAM 😁

What card is that exactly? Can't see the heatsink or slot.

Are all of those 3DFX cards? The ones on the left are 3DFX add-on cards, right? The ones on the right are also 3DFX? If so, that would make an awesome 3DFX collection you've build up!

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 33, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compared to my collection I only have a few boxed items and only one still wrapped: OS/2 Warp.

I'm not really that big on boxed nor still wrapped stuff. For the old computer parts pre 1995 I don't really need boxes as they are usually quite dull. My newer items from 1999, especially graphic cards I like them boxed. It's even better if it's used as I want them only in a working condition.

Not long ago I took this picture (there are a few more by now):
baq9Eq9l.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
Compared to my collection I only have a few boxed items and only one still wrapped: OS/2 Warp. […]
Show full quote

Compared to my collection I only have a few boxed items and only one still wrapped: OS/2 Warp.

I'm not really that big on boxed nor still wrapped stuff. For the old computer parts pre 1995 I don't really need boxes as they are usually quite dull. My newer items from 1999, especially graphic cards I like them boxed. It's even better if it's used as I want them only in a working condition.

Not long ago I took this picture (there are a few more by now):
baq9Eq9l.jpg

Nice, Kyros! 😁

I remember the one Kyro I had developed a bulging cap though, but I dunno where I put it so I can't check how it looks now 😊

I do have many boxes though (especially motherboard boxes), but I never bought a lot of hardware brand new.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I spotted a V3 with SGRAM :D […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:
I only have one item sealed. It's a voodoo3 agp. I wanted the box so i bought it, i don't really care much about it beeing seale […]
Show full quote

I spotted a V3 with SGRAM 😁

What card is that exactly? Can't see the heatsink or slot.

Are all of those 3DFX cards? The ones on the left are 3DFX add-on cards, right? The ones on the right are also 3DFX? If so, that would make an awesome 3DFX collection you've build up!

The card on the far right behind other cards? You sir are correct! Just had that recapped as 2 caps just fell off during shipping a long time ago, it works perfectly again. There is a total of 4 pci v3 2000 sgram cards.

If you look closely there is a voodoo3 mac with gold colored i/o shield, up to there it are all voodoo's. the last 10 cards on the right are ''other pci cards'' like g200 etc.. There are 11 3dfx cards on top of these that are all build in working systems. I have to have 3dfx in every system i build 🤣

And yes, the far left cards are my spare v1's and v2's.

Total is 42 3dfx cards. Only ones missing are the pci 4500 ,need to find 2 as i want at least a spare also..

They are all pretty normal v1-to v5 cards, i'm not a prototype collector. v5 6k would be nice but i will never find it or be willing to pay the price they are going for.

Reply 8 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
The card on the far right behind other cards? You sir are correct! Just had that recapped as 2 caps just fell off during shippin […]
Show full quote

The card on the far right behind other cards? You sir are correct! Just had that recapped as 2 caps just fell off during shipping a long time ago, it works perfectly again. There is a total of 4 pci v3 2000 sgram cards.

If you look closely there is a voodoo3 mac with gold colored i/o shield, up to there it are all voodoo's. the last 10 cards on the right are ''other pci cards'' like g200 etc.. There are 11 3dfx cards on top of these that are all build in working systems. I have to have 3dfx in every system i build 🤣

Total is 42 3dfx cards. Only ones missing are the pci 4500 ,need to find 2 as i want at least a spare also..

They are all pretty normal v1-to v5 cards, i'm not a prototype collector. v5 6k would be nice but i will never find it or be willing to pay the price they are going for.

Yes, I noticed the one with the gold-colored bracket-thingy, never knew any 3DFX card came with a non-metallic colored bracket-thingy! 😁

It looks very similar to my own collection of 3DFX cards, except yours contains slightly more cards (I'm at around 35 at the most I believe) and you actually have 3DFX boxes 😜
Strangely 4 of my V3 PCI cards have SGRAM and only 1 had SDRAM, I even started to consider that SGRAM was usually used on the PCI V3s and SDRAM on the AGP ones. All my stored V3 AGP cards are SDRAM, dunno about the one V3 that's still in a rig somewhere though.

Nicely done! 😁

Theres only 1 thing though, aren't you worried about the way you stored your cards? Can't they fall off from the sides? And if you need one from the middle, won't it be a bit scratchable every time to add or remove one?

I'd put something between the cards to protect them, even if it's just an anti-static bag or so. Years ago there was a UK shop selling large quantities of anti-static bags, looks like you could easily order a single package of 100. I can highly recommend it 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I totaly agree.

I do however have respect for collections like the ones Artex has, it is pretty awesome in it's own right. I'm just not willing to pay a big premium for sealed items as i will probably use them down the line and i want to make sure it works.

I have other items that are non sealed but came with box, some of them are very nice imho (graphics cards), some of them are nice to have but pretty dull to look at (mainly motherboards).
I still like finding for example a socket 7 board with an original box, i will not pay a big premium for it but it is cool as you don't see it every day in such a complete state.

Reply 10 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
kixs wrote:

I do however have respect for collections like the ones Artex has, it is pretty awesome in it's own right. I'm just not willing to pay a big premium for sealed items as i will probably use them down the line and i want to make sure it works.

Same!

I've actually grown to respect Artex and his retrocomputing a lot!

Artex is in some ways the opposite of me when it comes to collecting, but you got to hand it to him for being so determined. Even though there's always differences in the way we retrocompute (dunno if that's actually a word. My spellchecker sais it's not but it has lied before 🤣), to me that's actually one of the strengths of the community here as this way we can learn from each other 😁

---------------------------------------------

Now something different: I'm gonna do a little and quick re-unboxing of the AMD K6-2/500 I mentioned earlier. I know it's not the real deal, but I know it's absolutely complete as I unshrinked the box myself a few years ago.

Here's some quick pics (don't bother zooming in as my mobile takes crappy unsharp pics, there's nothing wrong with your monitors 😜)

First a pic of the front of the box itself:

01 - AMD K6-2 500 BOX.jpg
Filename
File size
164.69 KiB
Views
File comment
AMD K6-2/500 Box front
File license

The content of the package (I had to skip the "peek inside opened box" due to the max-5 attachment limitation, but 5 will do anyway)
When I packed it up again a few years ago, I might have put the CPU+heatsink in the wrong way, so if it is upside down in it's package, then you'll know why 😜
It actually contained a CoA, so it's definitely not some kind of cheap remarked and overclocked Intel chip! 😁

02 - AMD K6-2 500 BOX Unpacked CoA and CPU package.jpg
Filename
02 - AMD K6-2 500 BOX Unpacked CoA and CPU package.jpg
File size
202.09 KiB
Views
File license
03 - AMD K6-2 500 BOX Unpacked CPU package other side.jpg
Filename
03 - AMD K6-2 500 BOX Unpacked CPU package other side.jpg
File size
135.59 KiB
Views
File license

The CPU+heatsink out of it's plastic clamshell. There's also a nice case badge which I put in between the pins of the K6-2, so it's not some sort of ultra-rare showcase-CPU or something, it's the plain purple inside like any other K6-2
The heatsink is actually glued to the top of the CPU, this is how it came out of the box the first time.

04 - AMD K6-2 500 CPU + heatsink + case badge.jpg
Filename
File size
272.81 KiB
Views
File license

As I was packing everything together again, I noticed a folded-up leaflet and it turned out to be this:

05 - AMD K6-2 500 yes its really pink!.jpg
Filename
File size
205.59 KiB
Views
File license

Well, hope you enjoyed this spontaneous quick-and-dirty re-unboxing 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Yes, I noticed the one with the gold-colored bracket-thingy, never knew any 3DFX card came with a non-metallic colored bracket-t […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:
The card on the far right behind other cards? You sir are correct! Just had that recapped as 2 caps just fell off during shippin […]
Show full quote

Yes, I noticed the one with the gold-colored bracket-thingy, never knew any 3DFX card came with a non-metallic colored bracket-thingy! 😁

It looks very similar to my own collection of 3DFX cards, except yours contains slightly more cards (I'm at around 35 at the most I believe) and you actually have 3DFX boxes 😜
Strangely 4 of my V3 PCI cards have SGRAM and only 1 had SDRAM, I even started to consider that SGRAM was usually used on the PCI V3s and SDRAM on the AGP ones. All my stored V3 AGP cards are SDRAM, dunno about the one V3 that's still in a rig somewhere though.

Nicely done! 😁

Theres only 1 thing though, aren't you worried about the way you stored your cards? Can't they fall off from the sides? And if you need one from the middle, won't it be a bit scratchable every time to add or remove one?

I'd put something between the cards to protect them, even if it's just an anti-static bag or so. Years ago there was a UK shop selling large quantities of anti-static bags, looks like you could easily order a single package of 100. I can highly recommend it 😀

I never knew about those gold colored card either. I just bought it because it was a bit different and the 3dfx logo was there. After receiving it i couldn't get it to work..... Thanks to vogons i learned it was a MAC v3! Never thought about that when i bought it.

My amount of pci 2000 cards are pretty balanced between sdram and sgram, agp cards are all sdram, never seen an agp sgram card.

No,i'm not worried about the way they are stored. I like the fact that i can grab one pretty easy if i want to use it/test it/ benchmark it etc. They are in wooden blocks with cuts in it and they can not fall unless you bump it pretty bad. but this cannot happen as the shelf is fairly high above a big desk.

Reply 13 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
First a pic of the front of the box itself: […]
Show full quote

The CPU+heatsink out of it's plastic clamshell. There's also a nice case badge which I put in between the pins of the K6-2, so it's not some sort of ultra-rare showcase-CPU or something, it's the plain purple inside like any other K6-2
The heatsink is actually glued to the top of the CPU, this is how it came out of the box the first time.

As I was packing everything together again, I noticed a folded-up leaflet and it turned out to be this:

That's quite awesome... you don't usually see CPU's boxed these days... for sure keep all the packaging for this one.

It is a decent CPU too, thanks for sharing.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 14 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

42!... wow, it's always good to see some of the Voodoo boxes in graphics card collections... the cards were always a favourite of mine back in my P2 (233-333MHz) days. Nice collection.

Reply 15 of 33, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Total is 42 3dfx cards.

A perfectly appropriate number to have for a VOGONS member. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:

Tetrium: that's just amazing! 😲
I don't have anything sealed. I bought a few weeks ago a sealed Genius CD ROM unit for my Pentium restoration, but I opened it for use on it.

Well, I got 4 sealed items...if you count in the 2 Windows install disks which are still sealed in this "bag"-like thingy (can't take em out without tearing them open), but that's not hardware and they didn't even come with the CoA sticker 🤣
So no biggy 😀
Just do the stuff you like doing, it's not a contest here 😉

meljor wrote:
I never knew about those gold colored card either. I just bought it because it was a bit different and the 3dfx logo was there. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Yes, I noticed the one with the gold-colored bracket-thingy, never knew any 3DFX card came with a non-metallic colored bracket-t […]
Show full quote

Nicely done! 😁

I never knew about those gold colored card either. I just bought it because it was a bit different and the 3dfx logo was there. After receiving it i couldn't get it to work..... Thanks to vogons i learned it was a MAC v3! Never thought about that when i bought it.

My amount of pci 2000 cards are pretty balanced between sdram and sgram, agp cards are all sdram, never seen an agp sgram card.

No,i'm not worried about the way they are stored. I like the fact that i can grab one pretty easy if i want to use it/test it/ benchmark it etc. They are in wooden blocks with cuts in it and they can not fall unless you bump it pretty bad. but this cannot happen as the shelf is fairly high above a big desk.

Yup, I remember kinda buying everything I saw which had "3DFX" printed onto it, didn't matter that I didn't know what it was exactly 🤣!
For some reason I had found it much easier to find V3s, Banshees seemed harder to find. I certainly didn't buy every single one I ever found (not gonna pay shipping just for 1 card, especially if I might get a non-working one) but every one that I happened to come across, I'd buy if it wasn't too expensive.
The thing is that I don't only collect 3DFX stuff, so this spreads out my budget a bit 😁

Wow, nice DIY-job with the wood! 😁
I can still recommend the anti-static bags though, you won't regret it 😀
If you decide to do so, get the biggest ones you think you'll need. The really small ones just aren't very handy and the big ones can carry even motherboards, but also a graphics card or 2 if they are small.

Btw, I was still curious about that final V3 I had in a rig so I was gonna open it up and have a look.
But the funny thing is that the rig I remembered I had put it in, had a system case which I have 2 of and both were stacked on top of eachother.
So I just opened both of them up, both contained a V3 AGP 3000 🤣, so the total in my collection is 36 😁
Both are SDRAM btw, which is the reason I was checking in the first place 🤣!

386_junkie wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
First a pic of the front of the box itself: […]
Show full quote

That's quite awesome... you don't usually see CPU's boxed these days... for sure keep all the packaging for this one.

It is a decent CPU too, thanks for sharing.

I'm absolutely gonna keep it this way. Your welcome, and thanks 😀

Stiletto wrote:
meljor wrote:

Total is 42 3dfx cards.

A perfectly appropriate number to have for a VOGONS member. 🤣

🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 33, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

There is one AGP SGRAM V3 - The Compaq V3 1000 / Velocity 200 http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=33
And also (although I'm not sure it counts as AGP Voodoo3) several PIII motherboards with integrated V3 - most od them are using SGRAM as well. The most common one is MSI MS-6168 http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=56

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, no anti static bags for my cards, i have an even bigger collection of nvidia cards and they are stored the same way: easy to grab one! There is one card in the picture in an anti static bag, that's a 5500 pci so it gets a bit more care 🤣

I do have all my spare motherboards in plastic containers or original boxes and anti static bags as they have a lot more components and are only used when really needed to replace another.

Except for the 4500 pci and maybe an extra banshee pci i'm not buying anymore 3dfx cards, i have enough i hope for many years. I did find all of them in the netherlands so no big shippping fees involved and no insane prices.

I had that msi board with onboard v3 once but i didn't like the way the board behaved (and don't really like the msi ''quality'' in general, sorry). I believe it was mostly used in packard bell systems?

Love that boxed k6-2 cpu!

Reply 19 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:
meljor wrote:

There is one AGP SGRAM V3 - The Compaq V3 1000 / Velocity 200 http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=33
And also (although I'm not sure it counts as AGP Voodoo3) several PIII motherboards with integrated V3 - most od them are using SGRAM as well. The most common one is MSI MS-6168 http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=56

Thanks for sharing this info 😀

You seem to know a lot about these cards.
Do you happen to know a bit about the V3 PCI ratio when it comes to how many were produced? Especially the ratios between (these are all PCI cards) V3 2000 SDRAM, V3 2000 SGRAM, V3 3000 SDRAM and V3 3000 SGRAM? Bonus points for if you know about the black or metallic heatsinks 😜

meljor wrote:
Nah, no anti static bags for my cards, i have an even bigger collection of nvidia cards and they are stored the same way: easy t […]
Show full quote

Nah, no anti static bags for my cards, i have an even bigger collection of nvidia cards and they are stored the same way: easy to grab one! There is one card in the picture in an anti static bag, that's a 5500 pci so it gets a bit more care 🤣

I do have all my spare motherboards in plastic containers or original boxes and anti static bags as they have a lot more components and are only used when really needed to replace another.

Except for the 4500 pci and maybe an extra banshee pci i'm not buying anymore 3dfx cards, i have enough i hope for many years. I did find all of them in the netherlands so no big shippping fees involved and no insane prices.

I had that msi board with onboard v3 once but i didn't like the way the board behaved (and don't really like the msi ''quality'' in general, sorry). I believe it was mostly used in packard bell systems?

Love that boxed k6-2 cpu!

So thats why the last 2 years I saw them disappear so quickly here in The Netherlands 🤣! You alone must've driven up prices by a lot Merjor 😜

Yup, I tend to give the most interesting components more of a VIP-treatment 😁

And about having enough 3DFX cards, that's basically my stand as well 😀

And thanks, I'm glad so many people enjoyed my quick-and-dirty re-unboxing of the K6-2 😀
I remember that I also have 1 linlin-adapter (For putting a Tualatin CPU on a Coppermine board), but that came basically only in a very tiny box with virtually nothing else, there wasn't much to see there 🤣

Report spammers here!