VOGONS

First post, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't had a chance to work on my Windows 98SE system for a while (a couple of months). But, this weekend I decided to hook it up . Unfortunately, I'm always greeted with a "Windows Mouse Support" window upon booting. Even though my keyboard works in the bios (USB keyboard with and without PS/2 adapter), both my mouse and keyboard fail to work at this prompt.

I have three hard drives all with Windows98SE installed and all worked before. But, all hard drives are experiencing the same issue.

I put a new battery in the motherboard (I've resolved strange issues doing this in the past).

I restored the registry. This sort of work. But as Windows was prompting for new "hardware", it became unresponsive.

I can access Safe Mode and everything (mouse and keyboard both via PS/2 and USB) as expected.

Windows Mouse Support Windows did not detect a mouse attached to the computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now. […]
Show full quote

Windows Mouse Support
Windows did not detect a mouse attached to the computer.
You can safely attach a serial mouse now.

To attach a mouse to a PS/2 mouse port, you must first turn the computer off.

[ ] Do not show this message in the future.

This is what I've got installed

Operating System
Windows 98SE

Motherboard
ASUS CUV4X Socket 370

CPU
Pentium III 1000MHz

RAM
512MB

I have tried both video cards (at separate times).
AGP Video card
BFG NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB BFGR55256OC

PCI Video card
PNY NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB VCGFX52PPB

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe reinstalling the chipset driver will undo whatever is corrupted?
Just a guess though PS2 is pretty low level stuff and you've already ruled out adapters and we know its not a hardware issue

Reply 3 of 5, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
w0lf42 wrote on 2021-08-29, 20:09:

Even though my keyboard works in the bios (USB keyboard with and without PS/2 adapter), both my mouse and keyboard fail to work at this prompt.

1. Check your BIOS for "USB legacy support." With this option disabled, your USB keyboard is still functional within BIOS menus but would be disabled after POST screen; same goes with the mouse.
Even if that option enabled there's no guarantee that your USB device would always work.

2. Is your PS/2 adapter green or purple?

kb_ms_ps2_usb.jpg
Filename
kb_ms_ps2_usb.jpg
File size
82.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sometimes they are picky with company / models: I've kept all those green PS/2 adapters that came along with Microsoft mice (like the green one in the photo above) and they work well with latest models from MS, but they simply don't work on other USB mice. 🙄

IMHO systems with P3 / Athlon (K7) or older, with Win98SE or older OS, would be better sticking with native PS/2 keyboards and mice, or at least a certified adapter. Using a 3rd party adapter can reduce compatibility significantly.

Reply 4 of 5, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate the replies.

I can access Safe Mode both via USB and via PS/2 connectors

I have been able to boot into Windows98 before on all of the hard drives that I have Win98 on.

Maybe reinstalling the chipset driver will undo whatever is corrupted?

I suspect that this might be the issue. I'm going to just reinstall Windows this weekend and see if that does it.