VOGONS

First post, by Kur0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here, I've long browsed the site for extremely helpful info many times. Thank you all for the excellent source of retro hardware knowledge.

Unfortunately I was unable to dig up any info on the issue I am currently facing. All searches turned up nothing useful so far.

I recently put together a Socket 7 build consisting of an AOpen AP5T Mainboard, a Pentium 200 MMX CPU, Matrox Millennium GPU along with a Diamond Voodoo 2 and a CT1740 SB16. I am using a Model M keyboard if that is relevant to the issue(AT to PS2 Adapter). The system works great in DOS, however I ran into a very large issue when trying to set up a PS2 mouse.

The issue is when mouse drivers are loaded and as soon as I move the mouse the keyboard stops responding to input. The mouse cursor does not move either. This happens when CTMouse is loaded, or even in the Windows 95 OSR2.5 Setup and a fully loaded W95 install.

Here are the things I have tried during troubleshooting:
Checked pinout between the PS2 bracket and motherboard header.
Reloaded DOS 6.22.
Reloaded Windows 95.
Tried several mice, two PS2 compatible optical mice and one MS PS2 Wheel mouse. (tried two PS2>USB adapters as well)

Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? I am baffled by this issue, as I am not sure where to further troubleshoot before I write this off as an issue with the board.

Reply 1 of 2, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try swapping PS/2 mouse bracket data and clock wires. Usually keyboard locks up if those are connected in the wrong order.

Also there seems to be PS/2 enable-jumper on the mobo, is it enabled? IRQ12 conflict is also possible...

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 2 of 2, by Kur0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fool wrote on 2021-11-07, 07:38:

You can try swapping PS/2 mouse bracket data and clock wires. Usually keyboard locks up if those are connected in the wrong order.

Also there seems to be PS/2 enable-jumper on the mobo, is it enabled? IRQ12 conflict is also possible...

This Jumper was definitely the issue!

I had quick searched the manual for "PS2" and it brought up the header info and that was it. When searching for PS/2 it brought up the info about the jumper, which I did not do earlier. I will be more patient and read the manual more thoroughly next time. 🤣

Thank you very much!! Your help is much appreciated!