VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I kind of got used to the fact that vintage secondhand motherboards often came without CMOS battery that's been removed due to leaking.

However, I now noticed that people started to replace them with simple CR2032 lithium coin battery holders!

image_154392.jpg

Not only it looks ugly, simply because you need a slightly different surface area for the holder compared to the original battery and the holder not always fits blocking access to slots or mounting mb in the case. However, it is also dangerous as 386/486 era motherboards were designed to work with rechargeable batteries. So basically such a simple replacement mod leads to non-rechargeable battery being charged. In extreme case this could even lead to a fire.

So it is important to reiterate that the charging circuit need do be changed to in such a mod (either to remove charging voltage) or install a diode to restrict current from battery to the MB only.

I was wondering what's everybody preferred method for dealing with this? I've seen some mini PCBs with battery holder and diod but these IMHO don't look right and often don't fit as CR2032 battery holder has different shape than the original battery and not always there is enough space around.

DSC_0989.jpeg

More I think about this more I incline to just soldering back a fresh NI-MH which should give it a decade life (before it needs to be replaced again). But It best preserves the original look. Or just to remove it and use external battery pin header?

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 1 of 2, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my preferred method is to use the 4 pin headers that the vast majority of motherboards came with for non-rechargable external batteries

Reply 2 of 2, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of CR2032, you can use ML2032, which are rechargeable. I agree they look wrong on boards that weren't designed to use them though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.