VOGONS

First post, by WazMeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Happy New Year to all!
O er the Xmas break I've been tinkering with a OLD win98 machine P2 with 686lx3 mobo socket 1.
I upgraded ram fro. 64 to 256
I bought various gfx cards to benchmark and try (shocking how various drivers really impact the performance... God knows if we were running at best when we were kids). Tried what was with it rage Pro 3d, tnt 2 32mb Vanta, geforce 2 mx 32mb and a rage Pro 2.
The rage Pro 2 was a struggle to get working with drivers but guides here helped. I noticed the tests were also affected by simply reboots and stuff.. Where 3dmark would gain 1k!!! On some.
All in all randomly the tnt 2 Vanta was near equal to gf2 mx or sometimes I. Older games ran better! But I've stuck with gf 2 for half Life support.

Anyway I digress... Sorry just so exciting.

Through all the building I kept staring at a odd cradle in case, I recall seeing these on other pcs we had when teens etc... I'm assume it's for a fan but none the 80mm (think their 80) fit to it..

Anyone know what it is at front of case looks like something clicks in the top and back?!

Image attached?

IMG_20220101_091315.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220101_091315.jpg
File size
444.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 3, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The case vend0r decided to include the cradle to make the case usable for different generations of mainboards. (This plastic cradle cost them near to nothing).
There also existed (quite) long PCI-cards btw.:
https://www.voice-boards.com/dialogic-card-length/