VOGONS

First post, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
i got this laptop dirt cheap
im unable to find drivers or anything about this....its like i have the only laptop! its a pentium 3 at 800mhz(or 750 i cant remember) with 128 mb ram.
i tried and tried and the only links with pictures that matches my specs are openpinoy.com but it was just for sale
i have some problems with it that i could not fix. if i enter bios main screen after 3/5 secs it get frozen but clock (seconds)still goes normal. just that the keyboard doesnt work. i tried with usb keyboard but no go. if i try to press some buttons (many times spaming) it starts working again. also i tried disconnecting the keyboard and only starting with a usb keyboard or disconnected hdd/cd-rom and ram and so on.. still the same problem.
i was searching for some bios update maybe i could fix this. the laptop is in mint condition!
i also tried waybackmachine and other sites but no go. also on the back it says "GT8000" but i cant fin anything similar.. the only laptop i found was samsung sens 640 that looks like mine. 🙁
thank you 😀

Last edited by aLinux on 2022-03-04, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 35, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post pics of the laptop as well as nice, clear, closeup pictures of the stickers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here you go 😀

Attachments

Reply 4 of 35, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aLinux wrote on 2022-01-03, 18:25:
hello i got this laptop dirt cheap im unable to find drivers or anything about this....its like i have the only laptop! its a pe […]
Show full quote

hello
i got this laptop dirt cheap
im unable to find drivers or anything about this....its like i have the only laptop! its a pentium 3 at 800mhz(or 750 i cant remember) with 128 mb ram.
i tried and tried and the only links with pictures that matches my specs are openpinoy.com but it was just for sale
i have some problems with it that i could not fix. if i enter bios main screen after 3/5 secs it get frozen but clock (seconds)still goes normal. just that the keyboard doesnt work. i tried with usb keyboard but no go. if i try to press some buttons (many times spaming) it starts working again. also i tried disconnecting the keyboard and only starting with a usb keyboard or disconnected hdd/cd-rom and ram and so on.. still the same problem.
i was searching for some bios update maybe i could fix this. the laptop is in mint condition!
i also tried waybackmachine and other sites but no go. also on the back it says "GT8000" but i cant fin anything similar.. the only laptop i found was samsung sens 640 that looks like mine. 🙁
thank you 😀

See https://web.archive.org/web/20030606180638/ht … .samsungpc.com/ (Choose GT8000 on left pane)

or, more directly https://web.archive.org/web/20031009074301fw_ … enu-gt8000.html

EDIT : I would try with a PS/2 keyboard .

Reply 6 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-04, 23:45:

1 milion thanks 😁

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-05, 08:05:

Also, considering that it's ex of a German Federal body ( https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/), did you consider that it might need a security dongle

i was thinking.. but if so.. what can i do ? 🙁
well. after first boot i managed to enter bios (bc cmos battery is dead) and after setting time,date,and other settings (worked perfectly during setup) after saving and exit and let it boot (if there is any os) it stucks with a black screen and does nothing. turned off and start again with a cd inside it displays bios status then again with black screen.
sometimes if try to enter bios it stays on "entering setup"
ps2 keyboard does not help
cloud be bad ram ? it has only one stick 256 133 (i got the sick from a dell inspiron 7000 p2. it works fine in dell)

Attachments

Reply 7 of 35, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it doesn't like the 133MHz SODIMM you're using - according to the memory specs in the link @darry found it's a ZX chipset...

Memory - 128MB (512MB Maximum)
Memory Modules - 64MB, 128MB or 256MB - 100MHz Synchronous DRAM
Memory Module Sockets - 2 x SODIMM's

Also notice that on the POST screen pic it seems to be on BIOS version 16UE - that's on none of the links found so far (latest being 14UE) so maybe a region specific or custom (secure!) version

Have you tried the floppy boot disk in this link -https://web.archive.org/web/20050308071448/ht … rxdos/main.html

Reply 8 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-05, 23:28:
Maybe it doesn't like the 133MHz SODIMM you're using - according to the memory specs in the link @darry found it's a ZX chipset. […]
Show full quote

Maybe it doesn't like the 133MHz SODIMM you're using - according to the memory specs in the link @darry found it's a ZX chipset...

Memory - 128MB (512MB Maximum)
Memory Modules - 64MB, 128MB or 256MB - 100MHz Synchronous DRAM
Memory Module Sockets - 2 x SODIMM's

Also notice that on the POST screen pic it seems to be on BIOS version 16UE - that's on none of the links found so far (latest being 14UE) so maybe a region specific or custom (secure!) version

Have you tried the floppy boot disk in this link -https://web.archive.org/web/20050308071448/ht … rxdos/main.html

i tried with two or one 64mb 100 mhz ram from a toshiba tecra 8000 p2 but it wont post. it only starts with the only stick i have 256 mb at 133.
i tried with a floppy created with rxdos and it does nothing.
still gets stuck on post screen. it wont boot.
im out of ideeas!

Reply 9 of 35, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! I own a RM (Research Machines PLC) version of this which is the RM GT8000. to install drivers I got them from here

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/sam … s/gt-8000/55554

However i Run windows Millennium edition on mine for the best results, as Windows 98 and 2000 haven't worked in my favor. XP worked fine when I first got it

good luck!

Reply 10 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2022-01-12, 13:26:
Hi there! I own a RM (Research Machines PLC) version of this which is the RM GT8000. to install drivers I got them from here […]
Show full quote

Hi there! I own a RM (Research Machines PLC) version of this which is the RM GT8000. to install drivers I got them from here

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/sam … s/gt-8000/55554

However i Run windows Millennium edition on mine for the best results, as Windows 98 and 2000 haven't worked in my favor. XP worked fine when I first got it

good luck!

"still gets stuck on post screen. it wont boot."
I can't....

Reply 11 of 35, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might take some dismantling, but if it's got a CMOS battery then it might be worth trying to replace it, or at least have a look at it. I've got a much old Toshiba laptop where the CMOS battery leaked and caused some damage. Also look for any electrolytic capacitors that might be causing problems. They could cause power supplies to become noisy, and maybe your 256MB stick is a bit more tolerant to a noisy supply than the slower 64MB sticks. Have you got photos of the memory sticks? Maybe have a close look at the memory slots in case any of the pin contacts are dirty or have been bent out of shape. Probably best to do all the testing with as much disconnected as possible (hard drive / dvd rom) to reduce load on the power supplies. And if there's a VGA out try connecting a monitor to it in case the blank screen is actually a problem with the screen. The BIOS version showing 16UE is a bit odd as well, maybe there's some corruption there given that that version hasn't been found anywhere, but you won't be able to try flashing a new BIOS until the machine is stable.

And of course it could be something difficult to fix, like a cracked solder joint on a BGA or something.

Reply 12 of 35, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh, have you tried resetting the CMOS? if that doesn't work try a different Hard drive which may work, if not i can maybe look at the RAM mine has if you could perhaps try and locate the exact stick yourself

Reply 13 of 35, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i really doubt that the battery would have leaked its a simple 2 wire CR2032 package, i removed mine and jerry rigged in a replacement,

the GT8000 is a bit of a Faf to dissasemble but if it helps i can post a video on YouTube of me disassembling and reassembling it and link it here, as i have taken it apart many times before.

a BGA chip failure is unlikely as i haven't ever seen a S3 Savage MX-IX fail before. so you should be safe.

just an FYI, the FLoppy drive belt in mine has failed and Windows ME doesn't like discharged BIOS batteries, but mine hasn't crashed since installing a replacement.

hope i can help you out!

Reply 14 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2022-01-15, 14:02:
i really doubt that the battery would have leaked its a simple 2 wire CR2032 package, i removed mine and jerry rigged in a repla […]
Show full quote

i really doubt that the battery would have leaked its a simple 2 wire CR2032 package, i removed mine and jerry rigged in a replacement,

the GT8000 is a bit of a Faf to dissasemble but if it helps i can post a video on YouTube of me disassembling and reassembling it and link it here, as i have taken it apart many times before.

a BGA chip failure is unlikely as i haven't ever seen a S3 Savage MX-IX fail before. so you should be safe.

just an FYI, the FLoppy drive belt in mine has failed and Windows ME doesn't like discharged BIOS batteries, but mine hasn't crashed since installing a replacement.

hope i can help you out!

Thank you. I removed the keyboard and some back covers but I could not see the cmos battery.. Or any kind of problems. I don't know what else to try.

Reply 15 of 35, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aLinux wrote on 2022-01-15, 16:15:
i really doubt that the battery would have leaked its a simple 2 wire CR2032 package, i removed mine and jerry rigged in a repla […]
Show full quote

hope i can help you out!

Thank you. I removed the keyboard and some back covers but I could not see the cmos battery.. Or any kind of problems. I don't know what else to try.

ill get to work posting that dissasembly video, although bear in mind it will need repasting afterwards. as removing the heatsink to gain access to the board is neccisary.

Reply 16 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2022-01-16, 12:20:
aLinux wrote on 2022-01-15, 16:15:
Show full quote

hope i can help you out!

ill get to work posting that dissasembly video, although bear in mind it will need repasting afterwards. as removing the heatsink to gain access to the board is neccisary.

thank you! 😀

Reply 17 of 35, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the Video i made, apologies for the poor quality but i hope its good enough for your needs

PS: Do not unscrew the two resessed screws on the heatsink assy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXNPsjAjC0

Reply 18 of 35, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could the flat cmos battery be an issue? I've had systems through the years behaving odd or flaky with a dead cmos battery ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 19 of 35, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2022-01-20, 13:08:

Here is the Video i made, apologies for the poor quality but i hope its good enough for your needs

PS: Do not unscrew the two resessed screws on the heatsink assy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXNPsjAjC0

1 milion thanks.. <3 ill take mine apart soon and post the results of cmos battery or other problems