VOGONS

First post, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been working on a 486 build lately using the FIC 486-GIO-VP. Most things work great so far: it's running a i486DX2-66 (SX911), using the latest BIOS image, ISA sound card works fine, VLB video card works fine, no issues with the onboard FDD or IDE. Seems very stable.

However, I have been trying to add a CD drive using secondary IDE on the sound card but it hangs when trying to detect the drive. I believe I have tracked this down to an issue with IRQ15, which in my research seems to be the default interrupt for secondary IDE and I have no way of changing this in the sound card's drivers. Using my multimeter, it looks like IRQ15 is permanently stuck high no matter what's happening.

Looking at the manual, it looks like there are jumpers to choose between using IRQ15 or SMI for the power management features so this would seem to be relevant. When set in the SMI position, turning on power management in the BIOS results in the computer constantly going into sleep mode. Setting it to IRQ15 results in a different issue: the sound card's drivers state that it is not installed even though it initialises and plays sound correctly in games. Either way, IRQ15 remains high at all times which doesn't look right. What could cause this?

I'm hoping someone can give me some clues to point me in the right direction. I'm handy with a soldering iron but I'm afraid I've hit the limit of my knowledge here. Given the complexity of these 486 boards, it's possible it just needs some arcane combination of jumper settings to work I guess but I feel like I've been over them a dozen times already.

Reply 1 of 5, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

did you load the cdrom program TSR in autoexec.bat or config.sys ?

whst sound card are we talking about ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 5, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested with two sound cards - an OPTi 82C929A card and an ALS100 card. The drivers for both cards insert the line to initialise the second IDE channel right at the top of config.sys. I've tested with two ribbon cables in case one was bad, and with three different drives. I've mostly tested using the OAK driver and VIDE-CDD.sys so far (loaded after the secondary channel has been initialised).

Reply 3 of 5, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the section in the manual on the SMI jumper settings (attached). So far I have just been using the two configurations shown, but after toning these jumpers out with my meter I found that when JP2 is set in the 2-3 position, it disconnects IRQ15 from the chipset.

After trying JX2 in the 2-3 position with JP2 at 1-2, I no longer get the constant switching into sleep mode with power management enabled. Still no luck getting a drive detected but at least it doesn't hang anymore; it just fails to detect immediately. I'm going to try more combinations of drives and drivers in case one of them works now.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still no luck I'm afraid. I'm thinking now that there is no way of avoiding a conflict with IRQ15 because the BIOS always listens for it; you either use it for power management or disconnect it entirely. There's no option to keep it connected but open for something else. I guess I would need to use a tertiary IDE channel for the CD drive. What would be the easiest way to set this up? Both sound cards I've tried so far default to IRQ15 and there's no way to configure them any other way.

Reply 5 of 5, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Issue resolved. I believe the secondary IDE issue is not solvable but I managed to get a drive detected and working as a primary slave after wasting some time with another drive which turned out to have some subtle fault that caused it to hang.