VOGONS

First post, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an intel Socket 5 motherboard with Pentium 100 CPU.

I don't know an exact model, as Intel did not provide it on their mobos, there is not even 'Intel' trademark on it. But it looks very similar to Endeavour and similar mobos of that time, with that typical intel long DIP switch for settings, yellow labels and (of course) intel chipsets. Mine is 430FX. It's an AT board with PS/2 keyboard and mouse unlike Endeavour that is DIN5. Seems like something made for OEM, there were several variations.

The motherboard doesn't work and doesn't beep. The problem is it has the additional 3.3V connector near the PCI slots and I don't have any of them.

I have the PCI/ISA postcard. When I put it into ISA slot it doesn't show any post status (only blank lines), +5V, -5V, +12V, -12V LEDs are light. RST is turned on and off as usual, CLK and IRDY are also light. But when I put it into PCI slot the 3.3V is not light as there is no 3.3V connector. And it seems like it doesn't have a 5V - 3.3V voltage converter on motherboard.

There is one near the CPU and it seems like it provides 3.6V to the CPU VCC pins.

The question is - will such board work without 3.3V connector PSU? Is it dead or I probably can use ATX to AT adaptor with additional wires for 3.3V?

Attachments

Last edited by rkurbatov on 2022-01-28, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 2 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Intel Zappa which is also a 430FX board with an additional power connector.

As far as I understand, it was added on many early Soc3/Soc5 boards (mainly from Intel) for very strict compliance to the PCI standard. The motherboard should work without it and mine does (I've used an Ark Logic 2000PV card and a 3COM network card on that motherboard).

If anything, you can try booting with an ISA videocard just to rule the issue out, but I seriously doubt your system doesn't POST without the auxiliary power connection.

Edit: The motherboard seems to be Aladdin, very similar to Zappa (though it seems to have pipeline burst L2 cache instead of regular async chips). Yes, that board shouldn't need extra power.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2022-01-28, 14:46. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 7, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dornkaat, I added the images.
jheronimus, I tried booting with ISA without success. On the other hand, if the additional connector is just an optional addition, there should be 3.3V on PCI slot got from some other source and there is not. Plus this can be OEM board so the additional connector may be requirement.

Anyway, what else can I measure or check? The CPU is warm, there is a correct voltage on CPU VCC. Thanks in advance.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 4 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

>images
👍
>optional 3.3V PCI
Most S5 boards do not offer +3.3Vcc on PCI slots at all. It wasn't required until PCI 2.2 iirc. It is entirely possible that the only way of getting +3.3Vcc on this board is the optional connector.

>other ideas
Have you tried the board with a fresh CR2032 battery yet?
Is there a way of recovering BIOS on this board?
One of the capacitors does not look happy and appears to have leaked. (top/middle first pic) Can you investigate that?

Reply 5 of 7, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tnank you! Battery didn't help. BIOS cannot be fixed, the chip is not extractable. I'll check the capacitor but it seems like it would be cheaper to get a new Socket 5 / Socket 7 motherboard for my Pentium build 🙁

Reply 6 of 7, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it’s no need in additional 3.3V aux for usual work.

Clean it, reseat all movable components, check the jumpers…

Enter CMOS-reset mode

Enter the BIOS-recovery mode - are there any signals on speaker or floppy-disk activity?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 7 of 7, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@jheronimus, yeah, it seems Gateway MBDPCI016AAWW based on Zappa board without MB cache and PS/2 instead of DIN. Or probably known under name Aladdin. Thanks.

@Babasha will try but seems like it's dead. I'm going to order Socket 7 mobo and then decide whether I want to stay on pure Pentim or Pentium MMX

Btw, should Post card show statuses if CPU is dead?