VOGONS

power for an old serverboard

Topic actions

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's common knowledge how to turn on an atx power supply, shorting the green wire to ground. But is this an advisable way to provide power to a mobi when you don't know where the power pins are? IBM 8682? Xseries 350 serverboard. I inspected the board last night, only 1 silk screened reference to "pwr...", but I think those pins are for a jumper setting. Nothing jumped off the pages of the hardware manual regarding how to turn it on.

Alternately I could attempt to determine wherd the green wire goes on the mobo.

This board has essentially the same 24 pin atx style connector as my Intel scb2 serverboard. I don't think I'm being overly presumptuous by plugging a nodern atx supply into that connector. It is not a standard board in any other way. The only other resemblance is that the i/o accessory connectors seem to be where they should be.

Reply 1 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 00:10:

It's common knowledge how to turn on an atx power supply, shorting the green wire to ground. But is this an advisable way to provide power to a mobi when you don't know where the power pins are? IBM 8682? Xseries 350 serverboard. I inspected the board last night, only 1 silk screened reference to "pwr...", but I think those pins are for a jumper setting. Nothing jumped off the pages of the hardware manual regarding how to turn it on.

Alternately I could attempt to determine wherd the green wire goes on the mobo.

This board has essentially the same 24 pin atx style connector as my Intel scb2 serverboard. I don't think I'm being overly presumptuous by plugging a nodern atx supply into that connector. It is not a standard board in any other way. The only other resemblance is that the i/o accessory connectors seem to be where they should be.

Suppose it might depend on how much control logic is built into the matching power backplane board (which I assume you don't have) - the system board may simply not be designed to power up directly without a number of BMC-style checks

Reply 2 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a cpu diagnostic card or some such nomenclature I've seen reference to, the connector for which is very nonstandard. I had not realized a board of this vintage had such bmc hardware. Could that board be what you're talking about? I'll have to dig into the hardward manual more. But the manual is about a system not the serverboard itself. Which is a great disadvantage.

Reply 3 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 00:58:

There's a cpu diagnostic card or some such nomenclature I've seen reference to, the connector for which is very nonstandard. I had not realized a board of this vintage had such bmc hardware. Could that board be what you're talking about? I'll have to dig into the hardward manual more. But the manual is about a system not the serverboard itself. Which is a great disadvantage.

Don't see mention of a diagnostics card (tho the manual mentions the system board has built-in diagnostic routines). If you check the systems parts list - https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/system-part … ver-xseries-350 - and do a Google search for 00N6651, you'll see the part I'm referring to (it's common across a number of IBM servers)

Reply 5 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But the question remains is it an ok idea to force a mobo to accept power, any mobo. It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me. But triggering a mobo is a result of a momentary contact. A p/s won't stay on unless you leave the green wire grounded, afaik.

Reply 6 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:10:

But the question remains is it an ok idea to force a mobo to accept power, any mobo. It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me. But triggering a mobo is a result of a momentary contact. A p/s won't stay on unless you leave the green wire grounded, afaik.

Suspect most would prefer to have some form of 'sense check' before doing so - by manual details, trusted pinout definitions, experience of others, DMM values etc - but I'm sure some would jump right in (tho not me)

TBH, not really sure now what part (s) you have now...

- is it the full system board (00N6623) https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-Y0AAOSwfrJba0i4/s-l1600.jpg

- and the Advanced System Management Interconnect board aka the service processor card (00N6644) https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FuEAAOSw5WZalzro/s-l1600.jpg

or just the latter?

Reply 7 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like neither of those will work separately, and the full system board will need a cpu module and memory module.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2022-02-18, 10:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 09:51:

Yes to both Hoarder's questions (didn't mean to call you a hoar).

I have the memory card. I'll buy the other card maybe today.

didn't mean to call you a hoar).

😀 😀 😀

Don't forget you'll need a terminator card as well https://www.etiexpress.com/PartImages/DSC04952.JPG

Reply 11 of 30, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 11:08:

No sir (or are you a ma'am?), I have 4 cpu's. May as well plug 'em all in once I give it some lightning.

Yes, last time I looked but nowadays who can tell!

and

Show off 😀

Reply 12 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never could tell frankly (or francinely). Can't even tell what you're affirming. Eh but what difference does it make. They'll just make it illegal to be yourself soon. Whatever that may be.

I'm not a showoff. I'm just thorough. Damned things weren't even 4 pops apiece. Weren't the 4 pops a musical group? Or was it 5 pops? Regardless was their theme gun shots or just celebrating they were dads?

Reply 13 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Report to your local denaturing office to be neutered and serve the elite as one of their eunuchs.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 15 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This discussion leads me to wonder additionally what I'll need to operator my Intel quad lga2011 s4600lh serverboard. There is a module floating around out there, that I havent purchases, yet. It's funcrion is related to booting and/or securiry in some way. I forget the exact designarion, identiry module or something similar. I just may have to give Elon a call and get him to help me wire all this crappola into my brain. And then I'm totally sure it'll work fine 😉

Reply 16 of 30, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-18, 23:45:

This discussion leads me to wonder additionally what I'll need to operator my Intel quad lga2011 s4600lh serverboard. There is a module floating around out there, that I havent purchases, yet. It's funcrion is related to booting and/or securiry in some way. I forget the exact designarion, identiry module or something similar. I just may have to give Elon a call and get him to help me wire all this crappola into my brain. And then I'm totally sure it'll work fine 😉

TPM module? Those seem difficult to find for everything anymore.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep have a IBM NetVista that has a tiny one (TPM module) similar to the ThinkServer and they are very hard to find OR very expensive if you ever needed one....
Although it can be disabled on my machine in the BIOS do not think you can on most server boards or maybe you can ???.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-19, 02:14:

I could swear i saw them new on ebay. And I think it's use may be optional for the intel board but I won't swear to it at this very moment.

Very possible ! If you can get the board to boot without any HD's or network connections you might be able to disable data encryption (or it might be labeled something else in the BIOS) but yes I think you should be able to get by without if you can disable it in BIOS.

but I won't swear to it at this very moment.

me neither ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun