VOGONS

First post, by CadMasterAdam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have, what appears to be an almost fully functional Seagate Elite9 FastSCSI 9GB HDD. (ST410800N)

It spins up, doesn't make "odd" sounds, doesn't smell of capacitor juice, and it recognized by my SCSI controller.

But, as you can see in the images, there are 2 destroyed (what i think to be, capacitors), but maybe some other passive electronic like an inductor or resistor.

I can't find the board schematics. Does anyone have one of these units and can help me figure out what those 2 components are?

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are not pair of capacitors, these are pair of inductors 8R2J which is 8.2 uH. Find them and replace them regardless of type as long as they are 8R2.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 6, by CadMasterAdam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-20, 00:29:

These are not pair of capacitors, these are pair of inductors 8R2J which is 8.2 uH. Find them and replace them regardless of type as long as they are 8R2.

Cheers,

Legend! Thank you very much!

Reply 3 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are welcome.

Please let us know if this works!?

Cheers,

Reply 4 of 6, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! Sherlock? How do you know these are 8R2J inductors ?

Reply 5 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Searched lot of photos online and f0und 2, one little blurry and one more clearest to confirm.

Capacitors do not have this inductor notation for value and one more thing, I worked with electronics for years, also is correct type of style of packaging indicates inductor also.

Cheers,

Reply 6 of 6, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Impressive!