VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I can fix it, but my knowledge and experience with SMD is... well, nearly non-existent. I will attach a picture but one of the SMD components labeled C22 has had the legs break on one side. The small yellow cube says 227A and then L456L underneath it. I did a search with that information on on Google, and Mouser, but I couldn't find anything that matched the second set of information. I could find 227A, but the other part nothing. Is there hope that I can find the correct placement? I am concerned about the prospect of putting it in a computer and turning it on without that capacitor. I don't want to damage the card or anything. Please take a look at the pictures, and any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a 16V 220uF tantalum capacitor. If the leg or trace isn't ripped off, you can just solder it back down.

As for the other part completely broken off, it is a decoupling capacitor, likely the same as the others between the ends of the vram. You can take one off the other spot to measure it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The two pictures are of the same thing. The legs that go into the capacitor are broken right where they enter the capacitor. I don't know if I could resolder those two broken connections. There are four of these on the card, and they are all marked the same. The pads all look good, it's just the legs that are broken on it.

Reply 3 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found the datasheet for that series tantalum. It is a 10V/220uF. Just need to measure it to get the case size, then you can order a replacement.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/40/TPS-2066671.pdf

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you say case size, do you mean the size of the capacitor? Or do you mean try to measure it with my multimeter? Sorry for my cluelessness, but I'm also wondering, after the 227A does the L456L mean something as well? Do I need to find that as well? I really do apologize, but identifying what is the important information for the SMD parts is daunting for me. If I can find the proper part and fix this, it will be only my 2nd SMD repair attempt. And the first I had a lot of help with. Thank you to Wiretap for your help so far. I apologize that I am still not 100% getting it.

Reply 5 of 13, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Besides the capacitance and voltage rating, the physical dimensions of the capacitor are the last important factor to determine for selecting a suitable replacement. If you have calipers (preferable) or a ruler with millimeters, measure the dimensions as best you can.

L456L is production markings indicating the part was produced in the 45th week of 1999 in batch 6L. This is not important information for replacing the part.

Reply 6 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahh. Okay. So the L456L is something else entirely. I don't have a set of calipers, but it is on the list for tools to get. I just finally got a Hakko Desoldering device, the FR-301. I will see if I can borrow a set of calipers from a friend to get the measurements . Thank you for the clarification on the L456L code and its meaning.

Reply 7 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nathanieltolbert wrote on 2022-02-21, 01:03:

The two pictures are of the same thing. The legs that go into the capacitor are broken right where they enter the capacitor. I don't know if I could resolder those two broken connections. There are four of these on the card, and they are all marked the same. The pads all look good, it's just the legs that are broken on it.

theres one capacitor still hanging on by a leg, and another that's gone.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Filename
    Capture.JPG
    File size
    18.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had not realized that there was supposed to be something there. Looking over the other side of the board that has the same layout of the 227a, there is a capacitor there. There are no markings on it, and it's very tiny. Way too small for me to even attempt. What a bummer. I was really hoping I could fix this old card up and use it.

Reply 9 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could do the soldering for you but I suppose you're not from Germany so shipping is probably going to be too expensive.

If I'm right in my assumption you could let us know where you're located and somebody else may be able to help you out.

Reply 11 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have continued to look around locally. Sadly, the person I used to go to for help with things like this passed away, and I just don't know anyone in the local retro computer community that could help me with this. I'm sure if I started making connections with the local retro electronics community, that I could find someone I could get to help me with this with proper compensation. But I just can't seem to find the time. For now it's just set on the back burner. I need to learn how to repair these old electronics in regards to surface mount solder work, but it seems so daunting to me. And I am terrified to ruin some old electronic device that is way too much to replace. This is all on me. I have watched surface mount soldering, I have read books, so I have an understanding. I just am terrified of destroying what I am working on. I need to get some learn surface mount solder kits and just practice practice practice.

Reply 12 of 13, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got help from Pancakepuppy on here to replace the damaged parts. The card works perfectly now thank you! It is running quite happily in an old K6-III+ 450 OCed to 500. A quaint machine for the time period. Thank you so much for the help!

Reply 13 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nathanieltolbert wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:08:

I have watched surface mount soldering, I have read books, so I have an understanding. I just am terrified of destroying what I am working on. I need to get some learn surface mount solder kits and just practice practice practice.

not kits, go to goodwill or some recycling center and pick some cheap old useless computer parts. Practice on those.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction