VOGONS

First post, by LChackr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this (link below) motherboard that I bought NOS.

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/U … 486-386SI4.html

It has a SiS (85C460) chipset and a Cyrix 486DLC/33 CPU.

I built a system using this board and things generally work but I am running into weird compatibility problems. Most software runs, and for the stuff that works, it runs very well and the performance is excellent for what the system is. Benchmarks and memory tests (Memtest86) can run indefinitely without crashes or problems.

So, what's my problem?

Well, while most stuff works there are just enough things that don't work to be annoying. For example, QuickBASIC 4.5 will load but if I try to execute a program the system hangs. (QBASIC works though, oddly enough.) That's the typical behavior I see. I will find a particular program and usually very early in trying to use it the system will just lock. The only indication of what might be happening at the time I've seen so far is when I tried to run CheckIt Pro it froze on the "Detecting processor" screen. This behavior is the same in Windows 3.x. Some programs and utilities will start to load and then freeze. The most popular is InstallShield Wizard. Anytime I try to install ANY program packaged with ISW it will get to 100% on the preparing setup screen and lock at that point.

Because I knew it would be a potential issue I have tested this board extensively with internal (L1) and external (L2) caches both enabled and disabled and it has no effect on the behavior. With cache disabled the system is just considerably slower but the hangs still happen at exactly the same points. Interestingly this board doesn't have CPU selection jumpers and out of curiosity I tried swapping the 486DLC with a 386DX CPU. Although the BIOS detected it the system was very unstable and no adjustment to BIOS settings resulted in a working system. It certainly seems like this board was specifically configured for the Cx486DLC chip.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can figure this out, short of finding another board? I am really happy with it for the majority of software that runs, I just wish that these annoying hanging issues didn't happen with certain software.

Reply 1 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you review this thread which helps users setup the 486DLC?
Register settings for various CPUs

The various register settings accessible through cyrix.exe should eventually resolve most of your issues. On the hardware side, I recently scanned this lost document on secret DLC hardware hacks.

Filename
Cyrix_DLC_hardware_mods_by_Ernie_van_der_Meer.pdf
File size
600.99 KiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File license
Public domain

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 4, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the board doesn't have CPU selection jumpers and is unstable with both 386DX and 486DLC then I suspect it's due to the board. If there is socket for 386DX I would find it unlikely that the board somehow didn't work with 386 brand new.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 4, by LChackr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Did you review this thread which helps users setup the 486DLC? Register settings for various CPUs […]
Show full quote

Did you review this thread which helps users setup the 486DLC?
Register settings for various CPUs

The various register settings accessible through cyrix.exe should eventually resolve most of your issues. On the hardware side, I recently scanned this lost document on secret DLC hardware hacks.
Filename

Thank you for the info. I will experiment with cyrix.exe and see what happens.

That’s a lot of good info in those links.

I also found a lot of good details here:

486DLC cache coherency blues and headaches

Thanks. I am going to try the changes he made. Interestingly though since my board was designed for the 486DLC I am not seeing the cache issues he did. L2 cache works perfectly fine with my chip.