VOGONS

First post, by CoconutCream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a win98 machine on an MSI MS6534 board. Manual can be found here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/601986/Msi-Ms-6534.html

I don't know if the actual copy of the board I got was an OEM version or if it's just been tinkered with or what, but it's missing a case fan header and the 9 pin USB2 header. It has the 10 pin USB1 header intact, but my case is newer and only has USB 2 and USB 3 ports. I'm wondering what the simplest solution here is. I have a pci slot open, so would my best bet be to just run a USB card out the back and leave my front ports dead? I've seen people mention snapping a pin off the 10-pin header but judging by the diagram in manual the connections would still be different. Does anyone know of a converter or something?

Reply 1 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general, you should know about the exact pinout of the breakout cable or front port and the header on the bord, there basically are only four different pins.

On the cable part, I'm looking at one from DeLock here, the cables are red, white, green, black for vcc, usb, usb, ground. So, every USB header has two of these, the orientation may be the same for both ((USB2 in that manual) or the opposite (USB1 on the same board, for whatever f. reason), but the order of each four most likely always the same and the black wire is ground.
So, that shoud be simple enough.
Btw., "*USB_FP_OC0" on pin 10 is some special MSI proprietary BS, ignore it and don't attach something to it, I'd say.

Unfortunately, much like the status of Ukraine, the world never quite agreed upon a definitive desing for those headers and if the cable doesn't match, it's probably missing a hole which was supposed to keep you from plugging in the wrong way.
Which makes sense as long as you have the appropriate plug for your motherboard, obviously.

IIRC, most are 2x5 with the last one at each end being a second "ground" or unused but anyway, figure it out in the manual an then: Those black plugs are not proprietary and, using a needle or very small screw driver, one can lift the plastic "tongue" from the metal part and then pry out the metal part from the plastic and rearrange them to fit, if nothing else works.
So, if they're missing a hole for your purpose, maybe steal one that does not from somewhere, allowing you to use the actual cables from the front ports.

For the same problem there also are generic breakout cables being sold that use two 1x5 plugs rather than one 2x5, but you'd still need to check what to do with it:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/234187537377?epid=1404130252
So you could flip one of them to fit the header, etc.

A PCI card would have the benefit of providing USB 2.0 and some have internal headers for stuff like front connectors.

Btw., there is an obvious case for the 10 pin "up-down" or flipped arrangement: Those are rotation symmetric, dosn't matter how you attach them. Obvious benefit. Took us only 20 years to figure that out with the USB-C connector.
Alas, the breakout cable I mention above also is of the "mirror symmetric, one hole missing" confession...

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 7, by CoconutCream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-02-28, 15:10:

A PCI card would have the benefit of providing USB 2.0 and some have internal headers for stuff like front connectors.

Hey, thanks for your reply! This is an excellent point which I hadn't even considered. Looks like there's a StarTech PCI card that has a 9-pin USB 2.0 header in addition to the added slots. That's probably the least troublesome solution for my purposes.

I think I'll give that card a shot. Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoconutCream wrote on 2022-02-28, 13:35:

It has the 10 pin USB1 header intact, but my case is newer and only has USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

USB1.0 and USB2.0 use a 9 pin header to export 2 USB ports
USB3.x and higher use more pins

If your connector is just labeled USB1 it does not mean it is only USB1.x

if your case connectors have more pins, adapters are available. 9pin - 19 pin, 19 pin to whatever a USBC cable demands...
for example
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796773664.html

and

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003787949055.html

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 7, by CoconutCream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got confused by the weird 10th pin, I clued in after the fact that the headers are just labeled 1 and 2 and are both usb2.0.

At this point I'm assuming it might be an OEM version of the board, considering the missing fan header in addition to the single proprietary usb header. The cpu cooler retention was also different than the one depicted in the retail manual I posted. I did pick it up for a fairly cheap price.

Reply 5 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoconutCream wrote on 2022-02-28, 17:57:

I clued in after the fact that the headers are just labeled 1 and 2 and are both usb2.0.

Hehe, no - that board is roughly a year shy from having USB 2.0.
1.1, it is.

MSI still supports it:
https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/MS6534/support#down-manual

On PDF page 8, you'll find the designation of the south bridge, which is this here:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datashe … e-datasheet.pdf

See the features on page three, USB: 4 ports.
Meaning, the two at the back panel and two more, in _one_ header.

For, if there are two headers, they will be connected in parallel to the same controller. They're merely different styles of connector.

As it states in the manual, you could only use one.
USB1 is the usual style of breakout bracket that MSI just bought 10.000 of to attach with their retail packages and USB2 would have been compliant with a certain Intel standard, should a retail customer require that.
(Something about overcurrent, so probably to better support external drives or USB charging.)

So, that thing almost certainly was OEM.
For, you don't omit an alternative header to save cost. You do it in order not to confuse the minimum wage peon who's going to assemble these things.
And maybe even to reserve certain redundant features to your "premium" retail offerings and their prices.

MSI did a lot of OEM supply for Medion, many of the parts even marked Medion, but retaining the MS-xxxx designation.

The intel 845 chipset dropped the expensive RDRAM in favor of normal SDRAM, making the P4 affordable. Sounds like a board for Medion. Also, mATX wasn't very popular in retail back then?

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 7, by CoconutCream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm certainly learning, which is part of why I undertook this project.

Medion would make sense, as I bought the board from a German seller on Ebay. I just picked up an old monitor and my peripherals should be arriving soon, so we'll see if I can get this thing up and running.

Thanks for your informative replies, guys!

Reply 7 of 7, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I've read, the 10-pin USB header preceded the 9-pin USB header, which later became the standard. I faced a similar issue with my QDI A10T board as it only had the 10-pin USB header. I used breakout cables to connect from the 9-pin connector to the 10-pin header. You would need to map the connections using the diagrams below:

USB2-9pin-header.jpg
MS-6534-10pin-header.jpg

The breakout cables I used are called Dupont male-to-female jumper cables and can be found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/EDGELEC-Breadboard-1pi … B07GD1R5MS?th=1
The male end of the cable goes in the front panel's 9-pin connector and the female end goes on the motherboard header pins. It was a bit of work, but I now have a working front USB panel.

Hope that helps!

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50