VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello i'm looking a way to remove the scracthes from some cpus I have.

According to this video of Cpu galaxy (https://youtu.be/L3pNK4gbtIs?t=214), he claims ceramic is harder than metal so they aren't really scratches but it's simply dirty.
He uses a polish paste, unlucky he doesn't show the brand in the video and the link on the description doesn't work anymore.
One comment on the video suggests to use a white eraser. I tried without any results.

Do you know if it is possible to clean the marks on the ceramic? If yes what do you use?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 41, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-03, 02:19:
Hello i'm looking a way to remove the scracthes from some cpus I have. […]
Show full quote

Hello i'm looking a way to remove the scracthes from some cpus I have.

According to this video of Cpu galaxy (https://youtu.be/L3pNK4gbtIs?t=214), he claims ceramic is harder than metal so they aren't really scratches but it's simply dirty.
He uses a polish paste, unlucky he doesn't show the brand in the video and the link on the description doesn't work anymore.
One comment on the video suggests to use a white eraser. I tried without any results.

Do you know if it is possible to clean the marks on the ceramic? If yes what do you use?

Thanks

He is pretty much correct, its not scratches but metal left behind from whatever marked the ceramic, I guess you could try a magic eraser, a pencil eraser or some scotch bright scouring pads, failing that you could try some very light sanding with some wet and dry fine sandpaper, water wont hurt the CPU. Even a light abrasive like a non gel toothpaste and a dry cloth might work, I guess there are plenty of things you can test with and use whatever works best for your CPU.

Just make sure you only do light sanding so as to not remove any important markings off the CPU.

Reply 2 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's right markings will probably come off bedore the scratches, I will do it with care.
Pencil eraser doesn't work, I bought it and tried yesterday, no changing.
I will try the magic eraser and a so called cramer found on amazon which claim to be a specific product for ceramic.

Let's see if anyone else has a done any other testing.

Reply 3 of 41, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Following. Let’s see some pics. 😀 darn scratches from stacking with the pins touching, can never seem to get that out.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the link, I will try to find this product.

Yesterday I tried again with white pencil eraser after washing the cpu in hot soapy water and rubbed with a toothbrush, it didn't do much except wipe the white marking a bit.

I was looking to buy this product from amazon, could it work?

71UfJRXD3PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reply 7 of 41, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:00:

cleaning ceramics you say...

https://youtu.be/HiL6uPNlqRw?t=1032

😁

The guy had me right up to the HF and then I was like . .nope they dont sell that shit in the local hardware store, I work with that stuff and fuming sulphuric acid at work and quite frankly . .they both fucking suck to work with. That said the Sulphuric Acid is much more predictable to work with and doesnt require as stringent handling methods as HF and you have some time to wash it off before it starts doing damage, HF is bad juju if you spill it and you really dont want it on you.

Reply 8 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How that would react with the markings on the cpus?
Also those products are available for buying to common people?
Mainly Hydrofluoric acid 48-50% I didn't find it.

Reply 9 of 41, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:30:

Good god . .you went looking for HF >?

You wont find it available for the general public, its a really toxic substance to humans and it can kill you if you get it on your skin, thing is you likely wont even know you have spilled it on yourself till its too late, its kills nerve endings and then works its way to your bones where it basically eats the calcium in your bones and blood.

Its used for industrial cleaning of metals and other substances that it can react with but it require handling that the general public wont have training for and as such it wont be available to the public.

Please dont go trying to buy this stuff, its just too dangerous to use out side of a lab or industry or without he proper handling equipment or training.

Reply 10 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:40:
Good god . .you went looking for HF >? […]
Show full quote

Good god . .you went looking for HF >?

You wont find it available for the general public, its a really toxic substance to humans and it can kill you if you get it on your skin, thing is you likely wont even know you have spilled it on yourself till its too late, its kills nerve endings and then works its way to your bones where it basically eats the calcium in your bones and blood.

Its used for industrial cleaning of metals and other substances that it can react with but it require handling that the general public wont have training for and as such it wont be available to the public.

Please dont go trying to buy this stuff, its just too dangerous to use out side of a lab or industry or without he proper handling equipment or training.

Yeah you are right

Since you are expert of those stuff, do you have any suggestion about what to use to clean the scratches and that won't kill me at the same time? 😀

Using just water and the hydrogen peroxide 18% would do anything good?

Reply 11 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and luckily it is not.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 12 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:09:

The guy had me right up to the HF and then I was like . .nope they dont sell that shit in the local hardware store, I work with that stuff and fuming sulphuric acid at work and quite frankly . .they both fucking suck to work with. That said the Sulphuric Acid is much more predictable to work with and doesnt require as stringent handling methods as HF and you have some time to wash it off before it starts doing damage, HF is bad juju if you spill it and you really dont want it on you.

He clearly mentions, several times, in his video that you should not get it on your skin. And yeah, I wouldn't know where to get it, nor would I touch it with a ten foot pole.

It would make a good way to personalize your cpus, sign'm with a titanium pen and try to offload'm as a special series, especially made for blah, limited edition etc... 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 41, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-04, 16:07:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:09:

He clearly mentions, several times, in his video that you should not get it on your skin. And yeah, I wouldn't know where to get it, nor would I touch it with a ten foot pole.

It would make a good way to personalize your cpus, sign'm with a titanium pen and try to offload'm as a special series, especially made for blah, limited edition etc... 😁

Titanium pens are cool but a bit expensive 🤣.

Reply 14 of 41, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-04, 17:30:

Titanium pens are cool but a bit expensive 🤣.

I guess any short piece of an inanimate titanium rod will do 😂

Do not ask Why !

Reply 15 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys guys, we were trying to remove scratches, not make new ones!

Jokes aside, do anyone know why intel (and then amd during socket a era), switched from ceramic packages to organic?
It was a cost driven decision?

Reply 16 of 41, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-04, 18:38:

Jokes aside, do anyone know why intel (and then amd during socket a era), switched from ceramic packages to organic?

Pretty sure is was a move to allow easier mounting of SMD components directly under the CPU core, which in itself was driven by the race for clockspeed.

Getting caps closer to the core was paramount for more stable power delivery and less noise.

Reply 17 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2022-03-04, 19:25:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-04, 18:38:

Pretty sure is was a move to allow easier mounting of SMD components directly under the CPU core, which in itself was driven by the race for clockspeed.

Getting caps closer to the core was paramount for more stable power delivery and less noise.

Yes it makes sense, I did some research after I did the question and apparently the organic package allowed to have a ticker surface too

Reply 18 of 41, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking much the same - if nothing else, some acid might help.
(No, not LSD, ffs.)

But, yes, HF is bad news. Might as well try weapons grade plutonium and share your results.

Maybe some more domestic acid will suffice, stuff that's sold to remove lime residues, like ant acid, essence of vinegar, citric, whatever.
Sulphuric acid is rather harmless and should work in diluted form, if at all.

The OPGA Pentium MMX has no SMD parts directly under the core (like the Athlon), as far as I can see. But some on the surface, beside the heat spreader.
Then again, so has a CPGA Via C3:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … 3_C5XL_CPGA.jpg

I assume it was about the money.

I like jumpers.

Reply 19 of 41, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So in the meanwhile I tried stupid consumer grade acids like vinegar and lemon juice, no changes the black markings on the cpu are still there...
We collectors should definitely be able to buy that Hydrofluoric acid 48-50% 😐